Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1988 Alltrac Station Wagon Front End Parts

by Stanman, February 6, 2009 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

I got a 1988 Alltrac Station Wagon with front end damage (fenders and hood) at a good price and was

wondering why it has different front end parts listings than the rest of the 1988-1991 sedans or wagons.

I have a 1991 sedan with a perfect front end and wonder if the whole front end would go on the

1988 Alltrac Wagon.

I got a 1988 Alltrac Station Wagon with front end damage (fenders and hood) at a good price and was wondering why it has different front end parts listings than the rest of the 1988-1991 sedans or wagons.

I have a 1991 sedan with a perfect front end and wonder if the whole front end would go on the

1988 Alltrac Wagon.

The All-Tracs were Japanese-made, while many of the other Toyota wagons and sedans were made in the U.S. at the New United Motor Manufacturing Company plants (such as in Fremont, California), or in Canada. Also, Toyota made revisions to the All-Trac in the 1990 model year, so All-Tracs from 1988-1989 are subtly different than those made from 1991-1992. The 1990 model year appears to be the cross-over year; some parts for 1990 All-Tracs work on earlier model years, and other parts work on later model years. The fact that these are 4WD does account for differences in drivetrain and transmission components (as wel as interior layout of controls), but it woud appear should not affect body parts, at least for the front end. As the owner of a 1988 All-Trac myself, I have found that many parts for non-All-Trac Corolla's do work, but, alas, body parts and some engine parts do not. The fenders from the NUMMI/Canadian sedans are different than those for the Japanese All-Tracs, and so they are not supposed to fit. However, they still may fit anyway [i've never tried], so you may want to try.

A good place to start is to inspect the mounting points for the fenders and hood and compare them.

Do you have a Toyota shop manual? I find the shop manual immensely helpful in fixing my own Corolla. You can also use the Autozone online repair guides. I have found the Haynes/Chilton manuals to be not helpful, although the Autozone repair guides appear to have pictures and procedures taken from the Chilton/Haynes guides.

You may also want to try www.toyodiy.com part database to check on part numbers between the two vehicles. I would then put those part numbers into a Toyota dealer database to see if they match up with other years.

Is your All-Trac a Deluxe or an SR5?

Mid-generation body changes are pretty common on Toyota lines. Recent examples are the 1998-2000 Corolla vs the 2001-2002 Corolla front end differences and the 2003-2004 Corolla vs the 2005+ Corollas front end differences. Some are subtle, some are more dramatic than others.

Entirely possible to swap the entire front body clip from a '91 donor sedan to the '88 wagon - but I'm not 100% sure. Atleast they are all part of the 6th generation Corolla and you have an entire car to pull parts from. I know that the on the 8th gen Corolla - there are some modifications needed to the bumper support bracket in some cases - but other than that - they are easily swapped.

Yes i have both cars complete but they are not side by side as far as comparing them.

I guess It would not be so hard for me to tell by looking if the front of wagon was not smashed.

The front fenders as well as the parking lights etc all have different numbers for the alltrac wagon.

I am tending to agree with you that the whole front end swap might be easy.

Hopefully someone that is a "body man" might come along with an answer.

Thanks for both your replies.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm