Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Passenger Power Window Stuck Down 1995 Rolla

by doubletrouble, December 1, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

My kids took their car today and used the power window to clear off some snow. yes we have wet heavy snow. after the window went down it would not come up. I do not hear the motor. are they fused separately? is it the motor ? or maybe the switch ? neither switch will raise it so i think they burned up the motor. before i take the door panel off any ideas?

Bikeman982

My kids took their car today and used the power window to clear off some snow. yes we have wet heavy snow. after the window went down it would not come up. I do not hear the motor. are they fused separately? is it the motor ? or maybe the switch ? neither switch will raise it so i think they burned up the motor. before i take the door panel off any ideas?
I had the same problem - a couple of times.

The first time I took the window motor out and just replaced the brushes.

The second time I changed the entire motor.

Make sure to check the window regulator is working properly. If its rusted, it needs to be replace too.

Bikeman982

Take the door panel off and check the motor/brushes, and the regulator, as well as the plastic pieces and the cables.

i took the door panel off and took the motor apart. cleaned the brushes and wound the motor armature to spin the window up. Unless you have some motor armature experience I would not recommend it. Then i found out that the motor will work going down ,but only from the passenger switch ,but not the master switch. I asked my kids and they think they were lowering the window from the master control then hit the passenger switch at the same time.I think they burned up one of the master switches. I took both sets of switches and tested the passenger switch. It has continuity on different terminals both up and down. This tells me it should be good. The master control is a mess and a maze of plastic and electronics. I got just so far and quit. I did put the window back up again and the door back together. The master switch may be bad ,but I will wait until I find one at the local u pick junkyard. Much easier than trying to fix it after i take it apart and destroy it.. At least it is drivable for the winter.

I also put in another alternator that i got from the the junkyard. I had it tested at autozone and although my cousin who works there said it had a bad bearing it tested out fine and is a lot quieter than the one I replaced. Not bad for $16. I also got a jensen cd player with a ipod input and the wiring harness from this 1996 I have been picking parts off. It went in pretty well, looks and works good. That was part of my twins birthday present . They seem to like it. Another $22 well spent.

Bikeman982

The local junkyard is my favorite place to get inexpensive parts.

Of course, you never know if the electronic parts are good or not.

The local junkyard is my favorite place to get inexpensive parts.Of course, you never know if the electronic parts are good or not.
picked up both the master switch and the window switch . $10 with warranty from parts galore. will install tomorrow and check.

Bikeman982

The local junkyard is my favorite place to get inexpensive parts.Of course, you never know if the electronic parts are good or not.

picked up both the master switch and the window switch . $10 with warranty from parts galore. will install tomorrow and check.

Let us know how it turns out.

I have a couple of motors (with the regulators) in my spare parts.

put the switches in today. no go. not sure if the switches are bad or something else. tried with either side and an old switch combo. still no go. motor only works going down from passenger door. any ideas?

did you check that you've got power and ground doing the flip-flop dance when you rock the switch from up to down? power and ground swap places to make the motor spin 2 different directions, need to be sure you have both power and ground in the right places at the right times.

no i have not checked power and ground yet . i thought i could get away easy. Its too cold to mess around . I might wait till spring or until i get a day i feel like taking the door apart again with spare parts in place.you might be right ,but I really think the kids burnt something up by pressing both switches at the same time. what i might do is run direct 12 volts to the motor and reverse it. that will give me some answers.its hard to get in the connectors to test or apply power. they sure are small.

Bikeman982

It still could be broken plastic piece on the window regulator.

Might not be electrical problem at all.

I have seen it where the cable was off the plastic spool and the window goes down by gravity, but not up - due to cable problem.

The only way to check it is to take the entire motor and window regulator (track) out and look on the back side.

Hope this helps.

i doubt thats it. the motor will not run at all in the up position. i can hand crank it up by taking the motor apart and spinning the armature. it goes up very easy that way. it does go down just fine too.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm