Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By hackwriter, November 30, 2008

I have a 2003 Corolla CE with about 48,000 miles on it. I had the front brake pads replaced and the rotors resurfaced by the dealer at 34,000 miles in July 2007. Now the brakes are squeaking when stopping at low speeds, and they feel "grabby" -- very sensitive. Last Tuesday (11/25) I slowed down to go around a curve on a wet entrance ramp to a highway, and the brakes seemed to lock up -- and I went skidding off the road. Didn't hit anything, wasn't hurt, but was freaked out. After the day was dry, and going back home from work, I tested the brakes a few times to dry out any residual moisture and they were OK -- but they still squeak braking at low speed.

I just had the car to the dealer on 11/22, they checked the brakes and said they were fine. But I am afraid to drive the car on a wet road now. I've decided to have my local mechanic (who is trustworthy) look at them. Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what it could be that I can have my local guy check?

Thanks to all for your help.

Many things could cause brakes to be "grabby" - anything from brake friction contamination to a stuck caliper to fouled brake fluid/soft and hard lines to an ABS issue (if equipped) to a bad check valve in the brake booster to a binding brake pedal to total brake failure.

First thing that I would do is to pull the wheel off and take a peek, might as well pop the hood and look at the master cylinder/brake booster as well.

- Note any unusual wear on the rotor or pads.

- Note any damage to the flex hose running to the caliper, any leaks or discolorations anywhere.

- Note any damage to the hard lines running out from the brake master cylinder.

- Look at the condition of the brake fluid in the reservior - should be nearly clear, maybe just a hint of yellow in it. If the color reminds you of apple juice or darker, you should really replace it (moisture in brake fluid can cause system corrosion - really bad for the ABS modulator and individual wheel cylinders/calipers).

- Double check the valve running to the brake booster as well as the brake booster and master cylinder. Note any damage and or leaks.

If all the above checks out - need to disassemble the brakes to see what is happening there. Check the pads for contamination/damage, check the condition of the rotor (front and back), check to see that the caliper slides well on the pins - grease them if necessary. Note if any components are loose or missing bolts. A loose caliper will move too much in its mount, causing some weird braking behavior. Pads that have grease or brake fluid on them will "grab" the rotor.

If brakes check OK - then you have to look inside the cabin at the pedal assemble - make sure there is no binding there.

If that is OK - you have to suspect the ABS system (if equipped), master cylinder and/or brake booster system - I've left them to the end, as these are "expensive" bits. Some can be tested with a scan tool - but much of it needs to be diagnosed individually, too much stuff to be listed here.

sounds like the brake shoes need to be sanded and the drums cut so that they can re-bed. sometimes for whatever reason rust spots can form on the shoes, especially the ends of the shoes and those will cause squeel at low speed as well as grabby-ness when the brakes are applied.

Bikeman982

Could be lots of things - maybe pads/rotors, or even sticking caliper(s).

Best to get a good inspection.

May even have a broken spring.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)