Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Is My Power Steering Pump Going Bad?

by Mr Blotto November 17, 2008

First off default_tongue , yes my fluid level is good and I just had a new belt installed / belt is tight.

Everything is fine, except when you are turning the wheel while stopped and/or going very slow (especially when turning it back from a limit position), the steering wheel gives a lot of resistance in spots / feels jerky - not a smooth rotation of the wheel. This is noticeable when getting out of a parking space, or other times when you are going slow and turning the wheel a lot.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!!

Bikeman982

First off default_tongue , yes my fluid level is good and I just had a new belt installed / belt is tight.

Everything is fine, except when you are turning the wheel while stopped and/or going very slow (especially when turning it back from a limit position), the steering wheel gives a lot of resistance in spots / feels jerky - not a smooth rotation of the wheel. This is noticeable when getting out of a parking space, or other times when you are going slow and turning the wheel a lot.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!!

Maybe the belt is too tight??

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!!

Could an over-tight belt really cause this? What is the best amount of reflection to have in the belt?

Thanks

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!!

Could an over-tight belt really cause this? What is the best amount of reflection to have in the belt?

Thanks

More than likely your rack and pinion is the culprit .The pump just builds pressure for the rack. Is your steering loose at all? I would say that first you should have your power steering fluid completely flushed with b-g cleaner and replaced with synthetic transmission fluid like amsoil atf. If the rack is the problem you may solve it because the hydraulic passages or hoses are getting clogged with deteriorated material from old hoses or seals . Same with the pump. The fluid could be contaminated and not holding pressure. A pump going bad usually gives warning signs like grinding or squeaking.

we need more info like age and mileage . plus the last fluid change.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!!

Thanks

More than likely your rack and pinion is the culprit .The pump just builds pressure for the rack. Is your steering loose at all? I would say that first you should have your power steering fluid completely flushed with b-g cleaner and replaced with synthetic transmission fluid like amsoil atf. If the rack is the problem you may solve it because the hydraulic passages or hoses are getting clogged with deteriorated material from old hoses or seals . Same with the pump. The fluid could be contaminated and not holding pressure. A pump going bad usually gives warning signs like grinding or squeaking.

we need more info like age and mileage . plus the last fluid change.

It is a 95 Corolla DX with 78k. Power steering fluid has never been changed / added to.

Bikeman982

That is a 7th generation Corolla, similar to my 1994, and my sons 1993.

It is possible that a line is clogged, or the pump is not working well.

either the pump is giving out or the belt is slipping.

Any ideas?

If it is like my wife's 1994 Corolla DX w 7afe engine either the water pump drive belt or the water pump to power steering pump belt will slip and give the surging steering symptom. Properly tension both as the water pump life can be shortened by improper tension since the engine drives the power steering with the water pump pulley.

Bikeman982

It is possible that the belt is too tight, too loose, or just slipping.

That is the usual cause of power steering slipping or surging.

Is it a good idea to have my power steering fluid flushed, or is it not required?

Bikeman982

Is it a good idea to have my power steering fluid flushed, or is it not required?
I believe the power steering fluid is supposed to last the life of the car, although the level should be checked at least every 3,000 miles.

If one of the lines is clogged with debris, then a flush would help. It is similar to a brake system in that it needs to be flushed to eliminate air bubbles as well.

You can probably do it yourself, if you have some experience or ability on that type of work.

I would first go over what you have already done - check fluid level, belt tension, and power steering pump operation.

If everything is according to specifications, then a flush or pump change is in order.

Hi everyone - it turned out that the problem was a loose belt! I didn't expect that, becuase the belt was not making and squeeling sound - just silent. Thanks for all the good advise!!!

Bikeman982

Hi everyone - it turned out that the problem was a loose belt! I didn't expect that, becuase the belt was not making and squeeling sound - just silent. Thanks for all the good advise!!!
Now you know that belts do not need to be making noise, to be too loose.

Easier fix than a pump change.

Glad to hear it is working correctly.

Topic List