Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine Swap

by erffuller, November 13, 2008

The engine in my 2001 CE is dead. I'm planning on replaceing it with a used one.

I want to avoid any communication problems between the car and the new

engine. Is the 2001 model engine the only one that will avoid these kind of

problems?

That would be the best choice for swap - sticking with the same model year, as there are running changes from year to year that may not make the swap 100%. Even with the same model year engine on hand, engine swaps are rarely 100% perfect swaps - you have to tweak "something" to get it to work. As far as alternative choices - engines from 2000-2002 Corollas are also compatible - of those, the 2002 was basically a carryover from the 2001 Corolla - only slight body changes were present, the engine and electricals are identical. Ones from earlier 1ZZ-FE powered Corollas will work -but they lack the VVT-i of the 2000+ Corolla engines and may not be a valid swap in the eyes of your local DMV (emissions standpoint).

The 2003+ Corollas also have a similar engine, though there were significant changes between the later 8th generation Corolla (2000-2002) and early 9th generation Corollas (2003-2004), the later 9th generation Corollas have even more changes compared to their earlier siblings. Not a simple swap - but it is possible and has been done before. Electrically tedious, but doable.

That would be the best choice for swap - sticking with the same model year, as there are running changes from year to year that may not make the swap 100%. Even with the same model year engine on hand, engine swaps are rarely 100% perfect swaps - you have to tweak "something" to get it to work. As far as alternative choices - engines from 2000-2002 Corollas are also compatible - of those, the 2002 was basically a carryover from the 2001 Corolla - only slight body changes were present, the engine and electricals are identical. Ones from earlier 1ZZ-FE powered Corollas will work -but they lack the VVT-i of the 2000+ Corolla engines and may not be a valid swap in the eyes of your local DMV (emissions standpoint).

The 2003+ Corollas also have a similar engine, though there were significant changes between the later 8th generation Corolla (2000-2002) and early 9th generation Corollas (2003-2004), the later 9th generation Corollas have even more changes compared to their earlier siblings. Not a simple swap - but it is possible and has been done before. Electrically tedious, but doable.

Thank you. I'll be staying with 2001-02 then for sure. Electronic stuff not being my strong suit.

What kind of tweak(s) are the most common?

Most of the tweaks are mechanical and electrical stuff, but between the 2001/2001 and 2001/2002 swaps, mostly mechanical in nature. Stuff like accessory brackets that need to be moved, harnesses run a different way (some connectors may not reach the intended sensor or junction block), revision on chassis ground points, engine mounts don't aways line up the first time - you have to pry on them to fit, exhaust not lining up, axles not lining up, vacuum lines may have moved, etc. At least you won't have to rewire anything - since the number of sensors and the ECM are basically the same.

Most of the tweaks are mechanical and electrical stuff, but between the 2001/2001 and 2001/2002 swaps, mostly mechanical in nature. Stuff like accessory brackets that need to be moved, harnesses run a different way (some connectors may not reach the intended sensor or junction block), revision on chassis ground points, engine mounts don't aways line up the first time - you have to pry on them to fit, exhaust not lining up, axles not lining up, vacuum lines may have moved, etc. At least you won't have to rewire anything - since the number of sensors and the ECM are basically the same.

Thanks again. Hopefully I wll find a 2001 and not have to deal with anything

but swaping the engine.

Bikeman982

If you change to the same size engine from the same year, it will almost be identical (depending on the car options).

You may have to do a little swapping of the wires (and sensors, etc.) from the old engine to the new one.

Some engines arre short blocks and some are long blocks. Some of the accesories will have to be swapped over.

Depends on what comes with the engine you get for a replacement.

Topic List