Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1991 Corolla Engine Into 1989 Corolla

by Stanman, October 30, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

I have a 1991 corolla that has a good motor, a bad transmission and bad body.

I also have a 1989 corolla with a new transmission and struts but the motor is no good.

How hard would it be to put the 1991 injected motor 4AFE into the 1989 that was 4AF with carb?

Depends on your definition of "hard". It will not be a bolt-in swap - if that is what you are after. The engine will physically fit, mounts should line up - but the fuel injected variant needs at least the O2 sensor and ECM swapped over. The EVAP system is probably slightly different as well - but should be workable.

The big thing is all the wiring that has to go with the ECM - this is non-trival and will eat up the majority of the time. Fortunantely, you have both the cars there - so you can strip parts off as you are working on them. Project is definitely doable - just very time consuming - since both cars sound like they are not 100% road ready, you probably have all the time you need.

A good multimeter will be your best friend here - if you don't already have one. Will probably shave away about 80% of the troubleshooting later, since you can check items as they are being connected.

Can his 4AFE injected engine be easily set up with the carb and intake from the '89?

Depends on your definition of "hard". It will not be a bolt-in swap - if that is what you are after. The engine will physically fit, mounts should line up - but the fuel injected variant needs at least the O2 sensor and ECM swapped over. The EVAP system is probably slightly different as well - but should be workable.

The big thing is all the wiring that has to go with the ECM - this is non-trival and will eat up the majority of the time. Fortunantely, you have both the cars there - so you can strip parts off as you are working on them. Project is definitely doable - just very time consuming - since both cars sound like they are not 100% road ready, you probably have all the time you need.

A good multimeter will be your best friend here - if you don't already have one. Will probably shave away about 80% of the troubleshooting later, since you can check items as they are being connected.

Good point TRCar - he could just swap the top-end onto the good block - maybe even get away with using the newer head, just swap over the existing manifolds - but I wouldn't be surprised if the bolt holes don't all line up. ECM will have to have dummy sensors put in or even completely pulled - but I'm pretty sure that non-engine related functions are also controlled by the ECM. I've seen people run a standalone like a Megasquirt in the stock ECM's place.

Bikeman982

Probably easier to fix the 1991 than it is to fix up the 1989.

They are the same generation cars and will have a lot of similarity, with the newer one having some upgrade differences.

Probably easier to fix the 1991 than it is to fix up the 1989.They are the same generation cars and will have a lot of similarity, with the newer one having some upgrade differences.

Thanks for all the replys

No the 1991 is junk! The windshield is cracked and rusted out above so that it could not be replaced.

All the struts are junk, suspension worn out, transmission bad and many more issues.

I just replaced timing belt and water pump on 91 so the engine should have some life left in it.

As far as swapping the carb and manifold from the 89, I believe the injectors on 91 screw directly into the head don't they?

I am not interested in swapping the 89 head over, it might have issues and I am 60yo and would rather do more electrical instead of

mechanical work.

If I swap the whole engine electrical harnness and the ECM from 91 to 89 will the firewall plugs be compatable?

What about fuel pumps? Are they in the tank? Is the FI pump in tank different?

Again thanks for helping me out guys.

Bikeman982

Maybe you should pull the motor and sell it, then scrap the cars and buy a 1993 or newer one??

As far as swapping the carb and manifold from the 89, I believe the injectors on 91 screw directly into the head don't they?I am not interested in swapping the 89 head over, it might have issues and I am 60yo and would rather do more electrical instead of

mechanical work.

If I swap the whole engine electrical harnness and the ECM from 91 to 89 will the firewall plugs be compatable?

Yes, the 91 has the injectors that are fitted to a fuel rail and press fit into the cylinder heat. If everything is already together, probably much easier off just to swap the whole works.

Since they are part of the same generation - I'd assume that a good portion of the unitbody is the same. Should have no problems feeding the wiring from the 1991 into the 1989. Might have to grab the wire grommets from the newer car to swap into the '89 Corolla. Since you have both cars right there - just be a matter of swapping part to part. The fuel pump for EFI setups are designed to push more fuel down the line with greater pressure - probably would not be a bad idea to swap that as well.

Bikeman982

You may have some connectors that are different and have to be cut and others spliced in.

Also may have to run some extra wiring - a good multi-meter will help.

Fish,

I know nothing about the older corollas but on carbureted cars that I'm familiar with, the fuel pressure is usually quite low by design. I'm not sure how the check valve in the carbs will tolerate the increased pressure of an EFI pump downstream. In my Triumph for instance 3-4 psi is max. Of course an electric fuel pump desinged for a carb is fine.

Jay in MA

As far as swapping the carb and manifold from the 89, I believe the injectors on 91 screw directly into the head don't they?I am not interested in swapping the 89 head over, it might have issues and I am 60yo and would rather do more electrical instead of

mechanical work.

Yes, the 91 has the injectors that are fitted to a fuel rail and press fit into the cylinder heat. If everything is already together, probably much easier off just to swap the whole works.

Since they are part of the same generation - I'd assume that a good portion of the unitbody is the same. Should have no problems feeding the wiring from the 1991 into the 1989. Might have to grab the wire grommets from the newer car to swap into the '89 Corolla. Since you have both cars right there - just be a matter of swapping part to part. The fuel pump for EFI setups are designed to push more fuel down the line with greater pressure - probably would not be a bad idea to swap that as well.

Fish,Since they are part of the same generation - I'd assume that a good portion of the unitbody is the same. Should have no problems feeding the wiring from the 1991 into the 1989. Might have to grab the wire grommets from the newer car to swap into the '89 Corolla. Since you have both cars right there - just be a matter of swapping part to part. The fuel pump for EFI setups are designed to push more fuel down the line with greater pressure - probably would not be a bad idea to swap that as well.

Again thanks for all replies and suggestions

I have done a similar thing with a 1981 BMW 318 motor into a 1979 320I which was similar as far as being a much

more advanced ECM etc with a lot of stuff to re-wire although I am sure the toyota is still a lot more complicated.

I am good enough with electrical and soldering, connecting etc. but I was hoping there might be someone who has

done this or worked on enough of both types of cars to sugest some particular problems or solutions that are not obvious to me.

Bikeman982

Fish,Since they are part of the same generation - I'd assume that a good portion of the unitbody is the same. Should have no problems feeding the wiring from the 1991 into the 1989. Might have to grab the wire grommets from the newer car to swap into the '89 Corolla. Since you have both cars right there - just be a matter of swapping part to part. The fuel pump for EFI setups are designed to push more fuel down the line with greater pressure - probably would not be a bad idea to swap that as well.

Again thanks for all replies and suggestions

I have done a similar thing with a 1981 BMW 318 motor into a 1979 320I which was similar as far as being a much

more advanced ECM etc with a lot of stuff to re-wire although I am sure the toyota is still a lot more complicated.

I am good enough with electrical and soldering, connecting etc. but I was hoping there might be someone who has

done this or worked on enough of both types of cars to sugest some particular problems or solutions that are not obvious to me.

I am more familiar with the 7th generation Corollas.

If there is someone who has done what you are wanting to do, I am sure they can give you some good insight.

If there is no one - then you can be the first and help any others that follow seeking information.

Let us know how it turns out.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm