Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Exhaust Noise

by timkedz, August 5, 2008

While driving my 2000 Corolla the other day, I noticed that the exhaust note has a different tone to it. A slightly deeper tone, mostly at around 1,800- 2,500 RPMs. I first noticed it about a week ago, but, figured it was just my imagination. This car has only 40,000 miles on it and I'd hate to think that the exhaust system is shot already! I have a '97 Prizm with 51,000 miles on it with the original exhaust system and it sounds as good as the day we bought the car!

Anyway, aside from the obvious, is there anything that could be causing this noise, like a bad exhaust flange or gasket. It seems to be coming from the front end of the car, like near the cat converter. How much does a stainless steel exhaust system cost to repair/replace anyway???!!!!

Any thoughts, help, or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

timkedz.

The exhaust SHOULD last longer than 40k... but, there are always a few that dont make it. i had a friend with a sentra w/ 50k and the exhaust manifold flange broke.

When i was working at a muffler shop, what we did was:

lift the car (or jack it up on jack stands as high as possible),

- with the engine COLD, start the engine and have a friend cover the tailpipe with a rag. it does not have to be air tight (if it is, engine will prob stall out), just enough so that if there is a leak, it will become more obvious.

- get under the car and listen and try to isolate general area of leak, then

- put your hand in and try to feel for air leaks (don't touch the metal, its hot!)

based on that you should be able to find the leak. depending on where is it, you may be able to use something like jb weld to fix, or you may need to replace a part.

regarding stainless, are you looking to upgrade to one? the stock is steel, isnt it?

good luck

tdk.

Topic List