Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tour De France

By Bikeman982, July 14, 2008

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

Anyone following (as I am) this bicycle race??

Who do you think will win it??

Anybody's race - my take, the Australian, Cadel Evans, has a lot going for him. Very consistent, always improving in his time trials - slow and steady may win the race. Russian, Denis Menchov and Spaniard, Alejandro Valverde are also pretty strong. Might see a few underdogs slipping away with a stage win - like the Colombian, Mauricio Soler did last year. Would like to see some Americans up there in the top 5 - but cyclists like Lance Armstrong or Greg LeMond are a once in a lifetime type of atheletes. All the doping fiascos aside - this should be a good race.

Didn't expect this to come up on corolland. Pleasantly surprised.

Being a cyclist myself, I would love to watch TdF, but its kinda hard to do without a television.

I am in agreement with Fish's choices as possible winners. I haven't been able to watch much of the race due to my work schedule. However, I have been riding my own bicycle to work almost daily since mid Spring. My poor Corolla sits in the driveway all day, day after day, only being used for some short errands on Saturdays! I'm thinking I should probably take it for a drive every now and then just to keep it limber.

Bikeman982

It seems like there is no real dominant racer, so it may be anyone's race.

Too bad about Ricardo Ricco. He was doing a good Marco Pantani imitation.

Mark Cavendish was doing pretty good.

Lance!

...oh, wait....

Bikeman982

Lance!

...oh, wait....

Not any more.

Bikeman982

Looks like the Spaniard took it - Carlos Sastre.

Bikeman982

What about Lance Armstrong coming back for #8???

Should be news - good or bad.

Recently (actually today), there was some news that ALFD wanted to retest some samples from Lance's first Tour. Lance refused, citing that a report had already cleared him of all doping charges and accuses the anti-doping authorities of misconduct early on.

Bikeman982

Should be news - good or bad.

Recently (actually today), there was some news that ALFD wanted to retest some samples from Lance's first Tour. Lance refused, citing that a report had already cleared him of all doping charges and accuses the anti-doping authorities of misconduct early on.

I say - let the past stay - and let them test today for today's races.

Let history stand and continue to enforce today's rules.

We all know many racers were into doping in the past - it was commonplace.

The challenge is there today to compete by todays standards.

We will see.

Bikeman982

Ready for this years race??

I know Larry will be watching.

Bikeman982

After two stages - Lance is in 10th place.

Bikeman982

After 3 stages - Lance is in 3rd place.

Bikeman982

After 4 stages - Lance is in 2nd place.

The Swiss, Fabian Cancellara, is looking very strong. Armstrong is doing pretty well - keeping the guys almost 10 years younger. Lance only seems to get stronger as the stages rolls on - let's hope that he can keep up that pace.

Bikeman982

The Swiss, Fabian Cancellara, is looking very strong. Armstrong is doing pretty well - keeping the guys almost 10 years younger. Lance only seems to get stronger as the stages rolls on - let's hope that he can keep up that pace.
Cancellara keeps his lead after Stage 5, but Lance should (eventually) win (barring any unusual activities - such as a crash).

Lance has a strong team and that will help him overall, but individually he is also very strong (remarkable for his age).

Bikeman982

Lance is 3rd overall - only by 8 seconds.

Bikeman982

No change in standings after stage 9.

Bikeman982

No change in standings after stage 10.

10 stages down - 11 to go. Both Lance and teammates - Levi Leipheimer and Alberto Contador are all very strong - very consistant. Rinaldo Nocentini is looking like a beast - let's see if he can keep it up.

What is truely amazing - is that this is over some really mixed terrain where they approach speeds in the 50-60MPH range, averaging around 24-26MPH over the entire 2200+ miles over a 23 day period.

Bikeman982

Lance has dropped to 4th place.

Levi is out.

Bikeman982

After 15 stages Lance is now in 2nd place.

Bikeman982

Currently in 4th place. Contador seems to be stealing the show.

Tomorrow is a time trial that may favor Lance's style.

Bikeman982

After 18 stages, Lance is in 3d place overall

Topic List: Go to Everything Else