Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Get The Car Painted -

By Bikeman982, July 5, 2008

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

What does it cost to get a Corolla painted?

The car is a 1995 Corolla (7th generation) and it needs the whole car painted another color.

Anyone have it done, and if so, how much was it??

Bikeman982

Anyone have their car painted professionally?

I did once (Maaco) - basically spray and pray for a few hundred bucks. Since then, I shoot the car myself - as I have picked up all the equipment to do the work (minus the oven, I just adjust the reducer that I add to the paint).

Looks like Earl Scheib Paint & Body is running a promo for two of their paint packages (at least according to their website). Basic BRONZE package runs ~$250 for a hand sand, and two coats of a single stage paint - no clear. They also have a GOLD package that comes with a 6 year warranty, hand sand, 3 coats of poly single color - no clear that runs ~$450. That is about the cheapest I've seen a retail outlet charging.

Maaco varies in price - some shops are much better than others. The one that I used, the paint flaked and peeled off within 6 months. Both places would be literally "spray and pray" - easiest if you prep the car yourself and have them chemically clean the body and spray the color on. Otherwise, the overspray will get everywhere - tires, trim, etc.

To get an OEM like two-part urethane with clear (when appropriate) - you are looking at close to $1000-$1500. Custom paint colors might run twice that. Some of the cars I've painted, the paint materials cost me anywhere from $50-$70 per sprayable gallon to as much as $3500+ per sprayable gallon. Depends on what the makeup of the paint is.

Bikeman982

I checked online for Earl Scheib and it did not look good.

There were some bad reviews.

I have a Maaco shop down the street, maybe I can get an estimate?

My '93 was repainted back in '03 at Performance Collision Center in Fairfield (Cinci) OH.

The front had been repainted earlier, after an accident (courtesy of someone else's insurance co.), so I just had the rest painted. Same color. From the base of the windshield to the rear bumper. And no the door jambs were not part of the job. I paid ~$1500. Also had the side mirrors painted (used to be black) for $50 each IIRC. I did not request that the lights/handles/antenna/etc be removed prior to painting as it would have cost another $600-$800. *argh*

The shop did bake it afterward to cure the paint.

Quality is going to vary way too much at most of these chain shops - every once and a while, a shop will hire a decent paint person and you will get a decent paint job. There was small shop close to my house that was a low volume, high quality paint shop. They do custom jobs, airbrush, murals, pinstriping, etc. - that bought into a Maaco franchise. They moved to a bigger shop to support the volume, but had all the same painters. Quality was very high compared to the other chain shops and even some custom shops.

Instead of reviews - I'd try and hit local shops and see their work first hand. If you find one that has a decent paint job, find out who shoot the paints - if the price is right, setup an appointment with that painter.

Bikeman982

I once had the hood on my minivan painted (I removed it first) due to paint oxidation.

The job cost $100, but it was a good job.

I don't know how much the whole minivan would have cost, but the rest did not need it.

If I got a Corolla painted - I would prep it myself - remove trim, handles, etc.

That might make the job cheaper.

Think the bottomw line is, you get what you pay for.

Macco often has "specials" to paint the entire car for a few hundred.

Some of my buddies used them to paint the car and sell.

They all prepped the car themselves. Or you will end up with "color match" emblems, etc.

I have only used them to paint 1 or 2 parts that needed to be replaced before I could sell.

With all the stuff you do with your cars, I am sure you can ask around and get some decent introductions to good local shops.

good luck

tdk.

Bikeman982

Think the bottomw line is, you get what you pay for.Macco often has "specials" to paint the entire car for a few hundred.

Some of my buddies used them to paint the car and sell.

They all prepped the car themselves. Or you will end up with "color match" emblems, etc.

I have only used them to paint 1 or 2 parts that needed to be replaced before I could sell.

With all the stuff you do with your cars, I am sure you can ask around and get some decent introductions to good local shops.

good luck

tdk.

The car that needs painting is the one that I am currently repairing for someone.

I am changing the front fenders, hood, front passenger's door, and bumper and they don't match the color of the rest of the car.

The owner was thinking of getting the entire car painted.

I don't think it would be worth it for a 1995.

The paint job would cost as much as I am charging for the repair, and probably more than the car is worth.

She may get it painted anyway.

More to follow.

Bike,

might be a good opportunity to invest in a paint gun default_tongue

charge her minimally, and you get to practice painting.

tdk.

As TheDarkKnight stated, you really do get what you pay for. My experience with Earl Scheib is that the paint job barely lasts longer than the warranty, so that when it does peel or fade, you are out of luck. Not sure about the others Maaco, Miracle Auto Painting, or One-Day Paint and Body. If you do take your car to these shops, you can improve their job by removing all the trim, lights, grille, etc, or at least as much as you can to legally drive the car to the paint shop. Furthermore, many of these shops have specials during the winter months that could save you money, but you'd have to wait until then.

You can probably do it yourself if you get the proper compressor and spray gun, or there are specialized spray guns that have a built in compressor just for painting. The advantage of the former is that you can use the compressor for other uses besides painting.

Or you could try painting with marine paint and/or Rustoleum and a roller. Marine paint is supposed to be the current state-of-the-art for this super cheapo approach. Check out the $50 paint job. Another painter's perspective on this inexpensive job is here.

Hot Rod magazine in July 2007 had a similar story about a $98.00 paint job, but I can't find the link to that.

Whatever you choose, the consensus is that good prep work is probably the biggest factor in the paint job coming out right.

Bikeman982

As TheDarkKnight stated, you really do get what you pay for. My experience with Earl Scheib is that the paint job barely lasts longer than the warranty, so that when it does peel or fade, you are out of luck. Not sure about the others Maaco, Miracle Auto Painting, or One-Day Paint and Body. If you do take your car to these shops, you can improve their job by removing all the trim, lights, grille, etc, or at least as much as you can to legally drive the car to the paint shop. Furthermore, many of these shops have specials during the winter months that could save you money, but you'd have to wait until then.

You can probably do it yourself if you get the proper compressor and spray gun, or there are specialized spray guns that have a built in compressor just for painting. The advantage of the former is that you can use the compressor for other uses besides painting.

Or you could try painting with marine paint and/or Rustoleum and a roller. Marine paint is supposed to be the current state-of-the-art for this super cheapo approach. Check out the $50 paint job. Another painter's perspective on this inexpensive job is here.

Hot Rod magazine in July 2007 had a similar story about a $98.00 paint job, but I can't find the link to that.

Whatever you choose, the consensus is that good prep work is probably the biggest factor in the paint job coming out right.

That $50 paint job looked very good.

I am sure I could paint it myself, although it may not turn out as well as a pro could do it.

That $50 paint job looked very good.I am sure I could paint it myself, although it may not turn out as well as a pro could do it.
It's all about the wax! I have painted a few spots on my jeep with regular spray paint...and with a good waxing, you cant even tell!

Bikeman982

That $50 paint job looked very good.I am sure I could paint it myself, although it may not turn out as well as a pro could do it.

It's all about the wax! I have painted a few spots on my jeep with regular spray paint...and with a good waxing, you cant even tell!

I thought it had to be a good primer, then good paint, with good clearcoating?

Maybe so....but mine has held up for about 5 years like that. Granted, this is not the entire vehicle, just part....

Bikeman982

Maybe so....but mine has held up for about 5 years like that. Granted, this is not the entire vehicle, just part....

If you had good paint, then coated it with wax, it should be protected - until the wax wears off.

Have you ever painted a bumper? - I have to do that for a car I am working on.

I have seen a lot of bumpers with the paint peeling off.

I think it is because they are plastic and have more flexibility which is not good for the paint.

Yeah, I have made and painted a few bumpers but all are out of metal. I have a rear bumper/swing out tire carrier on my jeep that I made and painted with Krylon. The paint has held up well even for the amount of abuse that bumper sees. Occasionally, I have to touch it up with a few spray shots, but it still looks good and I have never waxed that thing.

As for painting on plastic, I would make sure to use Acrylic paint. I paint quite a few Lexan Remote Control car bodies and Acrylic seems to be flexible enough to work well with the body. I have tried regular spray paint on one of those bodies before and it started to flake.

Bikeman982

Yeah, I have made and painted a few bumpers but all are out of metal. I have a rear bumper/swing out tire carrier on my jeep that I made and painted with Krylon. The paint has held up well even for the amount of abuse that bumper sees. Occasionally, I have to touch it up with a few spray shots, but it still looks good and I have never waxed that thing.

As for painting on plastic, I would make sure to use Acrylic paint. I paint quite a few Lexan Remote Control car bodies and Acrylic seems to be flexible enough to work well with the body. I have tried regular spray paint on one of those bodies before and it started to flake.

Does acrylic paint come in spray-on bottles, or are they just brush on type??

I concur. Good primer & good quality paint are not cheap; an automotive paint store can do the color codes matching.

It comes in spray....I always paint those lexan RC bodies with my airbrush. Here is an example of what I use on the lexan:

Click Here

It gives some specifics at the bottom of the page.

A good paint shop should be able to mix you up some. I have had good luck with this company:

http://www.englishcolor.com/

They should be able to match the paint from your vin or sticker on your door jam.

Bikeman982

It comes in spray....I always paint those lexan RC bodies with my airbrush. Here is an example of what I use on the lexan:

Click Here

It gives some specifics at the bottom of the page.

A good paint shop should be able to mix you up some. I have had good luck with this company:

http://www.englishcolor.com/

They should be able to match the paint from your vin or sticker on your door jam.

Looks good, but I would like larger quantities.

You must be in Texas?

Looks good, but I would like larger quantities.You must be in Texas?
Yeah, I just used that as an example.

I live in Houston now, but I used to live in the Dallas area, right down the road from one of those stores...

Bikeman982

Looks good, but I would like larger quantities.You must be in Texas?

Yeah, I just used that as an example.

I live in Houston now, but I used to live in the Dallas area, right down the road from one of those stores...

I heard everything in Texas was big.

Haha....well that might be true, but that paint that I provided a link to was made in China...

Bikeman982

Haha....well that might be true, but that paint that I provided a link to was made in China...

I still would need larger quantities.

The paint may be made in China, but it is sold thru Tower Hobbies.

Topic List