Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

First Corolla And First Question

by themainrabbit, June 7, 2008

Hello!

So this weekend I purchased my first car, a green 2000 Toyota Corolla VE with 130,000 miles on it.

I am very excited to have this car, and look forward to learning some basic repairs and helping this car last quite a few years.

I do however, have one question. As embarrassed as I am to admit this...I was changing the battery today, and while doing so I accidentally dropped a bolt down the cold air intake vent which is located right next to the battery. So my first question is, what should I do?! Is this going to ruin my car?

Twice today I noticed that when I tried to accelerate, the engine sort of sputtered. This is not something I noticed these last few days, could this be related to the bolt?

I apologize if this post seems kind of naive, but it is my first car. And any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The bolt should be stopped by the airfilter if it even makes it that far... Its probably sitting down in the bottom of the air intake hose. Take out the air filter and see if its in the bottom of the filter box... It not Im not sure how hard it would be to get the intake hose apart... Perhaps a magnet on a string down the air intake... Just dont loose it as well default_biggrin

The bolt should be stopped by the airfilter if it even makes it that far... Its probably sitting down in the bottom of the air intake hose. Take out the air filter and see if its in the bottom of the filter box... It not Im not sure how hard it would be to get the intake hose apart... Perhaps a magnet on a string down the air intake... Just dont loose it as well default_biggrin

Thank you JeffG, that is good news! I figured that would be the case, but when the car started sputtering I got a little paranoid about it all. Hopefully the sputtering was all in my head though and really there is nothing wrong at all

So now I just need to learn how to take the fuel filter off. Does anyone have any suggestions on good repair books for the Corolla? Unfortunately the bolt is stainless steel, so a magnet isn't going to work...

Thanks again for your response, I can rest easy now!

Thank you JeffG, that is good news! I figured that would be the case, but when the car started sputtering I got a little paranoid about it all. Hopefully the sputtering was all in my head though and really there is nothing wrong at all

So now I just need to learn how to take the fuel filter off. Does anyone have any suggestions on good repair books for the Corolla? Unfortunately the bolt is stainless steel, so a magnet isn't going to work...

Air filter, not fuel filter. I presume there's some sort of retainer clips on the air filter box that can be flipped/slid aside to open it up. Though I'm not familiar with that 8th generation layout.

I'm not familiar with the air intake on that year, but could you put a magnet on a string and fish it out (assuming there is nothing else that is steel inside)?

Bikeman982

Try taking it apart - have fun.

Try taking it apart - have fun.

Give it a try...

I bought the 2003 thru 2005 Corolla Haynes repair manual today (Chilton just as good), pictures are very helpful to get accustomed to a new vehicle.

--Hugh

Hello!

So this weekend I purchased my first car, a green 2000 Toyota Corolla VE with 130,000 miles on it.

I am very excited to have this car, and look forward to learning some basic repairs and helping this car last quite a few years.

I do however, have one question. As embarrassed as I am to admit this...I was changing the battery today, and while doing so I accidentally dropped a bolt down the cold air intake vent which is located right next to the battery. So my first question is, what should I do?! Is this going to ruin my car?

Twice today I noticed that when I tried to accelerate, the engine sort of sputtered. This is not something I noticed these last few days, could this be related to the bolt?

I apologize if this post seems kind of naive, but it is my first car. And any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm assuming you mean the bolt fell into the now exposed tubing, after you pulled the plastic intake horn out of the way. Should be fine - you can take it apart, but quite a bit of work - have to pull back the fender liner as well. Chances are it made its way to the resonator portion of the tubing. Sort of a expanded section of plastic tubing before it runs to the airbox itself - helps reduce normal intake sounds. Might hear the bolt rattling around if you pound on the resonator itself - but no need to worry yourself about the possibility of the bolt getting sucked into the engine - chances of that happening is nearly zero.

Bikeman982

Both Haynes and Chiltons are good repair manuals.

Take it apart carefully (draw pictures as you do, if necessary) so you can get it back together later.

Try a magnet trick (works for me).

You can tap it from underneath (remove fender liner first) to listen for it.

Hope this helps.

Welcome!

Regarding the bolt, if I rem correctly, i am guessing that it fell into the "snorkle" right behind the light?

If that's the case, as mentioned above, you will need to take a lot of parts off to get to it. it may rattle around, but its not going to hurt the car. its just at the bottom of the "u" of the snorkel. being lazy, i would prob just leave it.

should be able to pick up chilton or haynes manual at your local parts store for about $20.

good luck

tdk

Bikeman982

Welcome!

Regarding the bolt, if I rem correctly, i am guessing that it fell into the "snorkle" right behind the light?

If that's the case, as mentioned above, you will need to take a lot of parts off to get to it. it may rattle around, but its not going to hurt the car. its just at the bottom of the "u" of the snorkel. being lazy, i would prob just leave it.

should be able to pick up chilton or haynes manual at your local parts store for about $20.

good luck

tdk

I have seen a lot of cars that have lost the "snorkle" and people just drive the car without it.

Yah I actually replaced the "snorkel" on mine as it was missing when I bought the car used. It seems the non OEM battery that was used got in the way so some one probably pitched the first "snorkel". I don't see a real use for it other then to keep things from falling into the air intake... Its a weird design if you ask me

Bikeman982

Yah I actually replaced the "snorkel" on mine as it was missing when I bought the car used. It seems the non OEM battery that was used got in the way so some one probably pitched the first "snorkel". I don't see a real use for it other then to keep things from falling into the air intake... Its a weird design if you ask me
It seems like a bad place to put the opening for the air intake.

It should have been run into the front - maybe in the grille.

The car will run without the snorkle, but I usually replace one that is missing.

Topic List