Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1995 Manual Tranny Help

By Guest octobillia, May 5, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Guest octobillia

I have a manual 1995 corolla and for a bit now getting it moving in first gear has been tougher than usual - as if its lacking torque. you have to give it extra gas, and on hills a stupid amount of gas to get it moving.

Everyonce in a while when you back down to idle the rpms will go down to about 500 but then come back up to 800.

last night while turning a corner it made a funky noise in first and 2nd gears but then dissapeared.

When i have to take longer trips in it (even 20 mins or so) i can feel it the car getting much weaker.

my question is could it be anything other than the transmission? perhaps the tranny fluid or something?

also i had a tune up recently and oil change.

if your tranny is slipping, the rpms will increase without the car speeding up (or as much as it should).

how does the car sound?

does it rev up high? and still move like a snail? if it does, good chance clutch is slipping.doubt that just changing fluid will fix the problem.

prob need new clutch.

also, i don't think the idle rpm would be effected, due to tranny. but that may have just been a freak thing... might have dirty injectors?

good luck

tdk

Sounds like the clutch is bad.

If you have it replaced be sure to also replace the pressure plate and resurface the flywheel. Driving it like you are is sure to cause severe glazing and/or heat cracks.

Jay in MA

I have a manual 1995 corolla and for a bit now getting it moving in first gear has been tougher than usual - as if its lacking torque. you have to give it extra gas, and on hills a stupid amount of gas to get it moving. Everyonce in a while when you back down to idle the rpms will go down to about 500 but then come back up to 800.

last night while turning a corner it made a funky noise in first and 2nd gears but then dissapeared.

When i have to take longer trips in it (even 20 mins or so) i can feel it the car getting much weaker.

my question is could it be anything other than the transmission? perhaps the tranny fluid or something?

Guest cmg

Sounds like the clutch is bad.

If you have it replaced be sure to also replace the pressure plate and resurface the flywheel. Driving it like you are is sure to cause severe glazing and/or heat cracks.

Jay in MA

I have a manual 1995 corolla and for a bit now getting it moving in first gear has been tougher than usual - as if its lacking torque. you have to give it extra gas, and on hills a stupid amount of gas to get it moving. Everyonce in a while when you back down to idle the rpms will go down to about 500 but then come back up to 800.

Check the fluid level in the Clutch master cylinder (standard transmission), next to the brake master cylinder. it's the smaller of the two. Make sure it is topped off. lack of fluid will make the clutch act strange.

If it idles roughly and has more that 150K miles or more check the engine compression. If it idles fine and has 150k miles or more check the fuel filter, air filter. If it runs hot and hesitates on the highway check the catalytic converter. There could be a lot of things that could cause hesitation in low gear.

Bikeman982

You should check all the fluid levels, especially the tranny fluid.

Might be a slipping clutch.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm