Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2007 Corolla Fuel Ecomomy

by caharmon, April 25, 2008

Hi:

I just registered for this forum, and this is my first post.

I own a 2007 Corolla that I love. The only problem is fuel economy. The car is rated at 30/35 by the EPA. I know thats an inflated figure.But the car only gets 20 mpg in ANY configuration, IE in town, on the road, or a combination.

I've discussed this with the dealer. They tell me 2 things.

1) That unless there is a check engine light on, there is nothing that can be done.

2) They also tell me that the car needs to broken in, and until the car has at least 10,000.00 miles on it, it won't get even close to the posted mileage figures. The car currently had a little over 5000 miles on it.

The car runs perfectly, but that alone is not enough. I bought the car for it's alleged fuel economy.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get either the dealer, or Toyota corporate to get off their rear end and do something about this?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forums. First off I would try a different dealership - they are putting up the usual smoke screen act and not helping the situation. Fuel economy is greatly affected by the way it is driven.

With 5K miles on the clock - your car is "broken-in" but may not have enough miles to accurately get a fuel economy picture quite yet. But 20MPG, if correctly calculated, is one of the worse numbers I've ever heard for a (unmodified) 9th gen Corolla. 20MPG is what I typically see on our company V8 Tundra on highway trips. Tire air pressure can have a big impact on overall MPG. At the very minimum - I would fill up to the manufacturer's (Toyota) recommended air pressure - typically around 30PSI. Should be on a placard or sticker somewere on the car (glove box, driver's door, etc.) You can try adjusting the air pressure upwards and see what that does for fuel economy. On my Corolla/Matrix - since I drive a good portion at highway speeds and for long distances (80-200miles daily commute) - I typically run pretty high air pressures ~42-50PSI in the tires. But I wouldn't just plump the tires up to whatever number. The best way to do it is to adjust air pressures 2PSI at a time - until you settle on nice compromise of ride quality, steering feel, and fuel economy.

The length of the trip will have a huge impact on numbers - if you typically drive less than 5 miles in any single trip - chances are, the car hasn't left open loop mode - meaning the air/fuel mix is following a preset table. This table will yield poor fuel economy, since it was optimized to heat the car up and get it to operating temperatures as quickly as possible. Stop and go traffic, around town driving, any period of time spent idling will also return some low numbers.

If you are able to take an extended highway trip greater than 50 miles - you can do a quick MPG check. Just completely fill the tank (don't top off), note the current mileage, drive, fill up (don't top off), note end mileage and calculate taht trip's the MPG number. If that number is still 20MPG - then you may have a serious engine computer issue (will not get out of open-loop mode or bad ECM in general) or you have a physical issue with the car's engine/induction/exhaust systems.

Hello and welcome to the forums. First off I would try a different dealership - they are putting up the usual smoke screen act and not helping the situation. Fuel economy is greatly affected by the way it is driven.

With 5K miles on the clock - your car is "broken-in" but may not have enough miles to accurately get a fuel economy picture quite yet. But 20MPG, if correctly calculated, is one of the worse numbers I've ever heard for a (unmodified) 9th gen Corolla. 20MPG is what I typically see on our company V8 Tundra on highway trips. Tire air pressure can have a big impact on overall MPG. At the very minimum - I would fill up to the manufacturer's (Toyota) recommended air pressure - typically around 30PSI. Should be on a placard or sticker somewere on the car (glove box, driver's door, etc.) You can try adjusting the air pressure upwards and see what that does for fuel economy. On my Corolla/Matrix - since I drive a good portion at highway speeds and for long distances (80-200miles daily commute) - I typically run pretty high air pressures ~42-50PSI in the tires. But I wouldn't just plump the tires up to whatever number. The best way to do it is to adjust air pressures 2PSI at a time - until you settle on nice compromise of ride quality, steering feel, and fuel economy.

The length of the trip will have a huge impact on numbers - if you typically drive less than 5 miles in any single trip - chances are, the car hasn't left open loop mode - meaning the air/fuel mix is following a preset table. This table will yield poor fuel economy, since it was optimized to heat the car up and get it to operating temperatures as quickly as possible. Stop and go traffic, around town driving, any period of time spent idling will also return some low numbers.

If you are able to take an extended highway trip greater than 50 miles - you can do a quick MPG check. Just completely fill the tank (don't top off), note the current mileage, drive, fill up (don't top off), note end mileage and calculate taht trip's the MPG number. If that number is still 20MPG - then you may have a serious engine computer issue (will not get out of open-loop mode or bad ECM in general) or you have a physical issue with the car's engine/induction/exhaust systems.

My sister drives the car to work and around town. She typically drives 10 miles to work each way, and then around town. I recently put about 600 hwy miles on it, and didn't get much better mileage, perhaps 21 or 22 mpg. I admit that I do top off when I fill up, and out of habit I am usually the one who fills up her car. I'll fill it, without topping off, and then fill it again, and see what happens.

Thanks

Keep ALL your gas receipts and write the mileage down on them. Keep a log. You might need it later. I would call toyota's help line. The number is on toyota's web page.

I hate to ask, but how do you drive? Do you floor the gas from a stop light? What top speed do you drive at? What fuel are you putting in the car? Are you running the stock tires and wheels?

You could try filling up at a different gas station just to see how the mileage changes (better or worse). I''ve found that some stations seem to give me consistently higher MPG numbers than others - could be the fomulation of the gas (gasoline blend) default_ohmy.

What kind of gas are you using? If you are not using what is suggested then it might mess up the mpg, but not that much. I would say to disconect the negitive termail to the battery for about 15 min to clear the ECU then take it for a slow drive with little braking (25-35mph 5-10 miles). Then see if that helps.

But I would really call Toyota Help Line if I was you, because I drove a '09 corolla as a rental when mine was in the shop and I got 40mpg and it only had around 500 miles on it.

You could try filling up at a different gas station just to see how the mileage changes (better or worse). I''ve found that some stations seem to give me consistently higher MPG numbers than others - could be the fomulation of the gas (gasoline blend) default_ohmy .

when my ex wife and I had a 99 corolla, we used texaco gas and was on a long highway trip and only getting about 270 miles to the tank and figured that cant be right, switched to shell gas and started getting around 320 miles to the tank.

Different gas with different additives, formulas might be able to effect fuel economy, but they shouldn't change a cars fuel economy from great to lousy.

If anything, the gas stations equipment is not working right. You could intentionally or unintentionally be getting ripped off at the pump. I think that is more likely then getting 100 more miles per gallon simply by changing gas.

The original poster needs to really evaluate how they are driving. That is going to be the likely cause. If it's not, then they might need to change cars. I'm sure anyone could sell a Toyota right now with gas prices. Regular just hit 3.75 a gallon on my side of town.

Guest rossbro

There MUST be a problem. My 96 gets 29 hot-rodding in town and 36-37 doing 78 mph with A/C on.

My Corolla has its problems, the paint chipping, radio melted the dash, brakes occasionally squeak. I never had any luck with Toyota fixing anything either, not much I can do... BUT you have a lemon and its time to get a lawyer if they won't do anything for it. I had 37mpg my first gas tank if memory serves me right.

The only thing you could do on a new car is maybe bump up the tire pressures to about 36 psi cold inflation and maybe see if you're driving around with the defroster on all the time as that will cycle the AC. The worst my 07 ever got was 28 during winter, warmer months get me 30 to 33 on average. I would have to try very, very hard to get that poor mileage as I already have a lead foot. Time to get a second opinion from another dealer.

Also, and it's a long shot, next time you're filling up and the pump says you have say 10 gallons, make sure it is 10 gallons. Just read an article where some gas stations are cheating customers by rigging the pumps to give false readings saying they dispensed more fuel than they actually did. Some deliberately, and some not.

Toyota does not have much to say about EPA Standards Drive under 55, maintain tire pressure, don't use the AC, moderate acceleration.

If you have an auto, O/D is on?

I'd keep a spreadsheet and gas receipts. Always top off the gas tank and track your mileage. Try different gas stations.

You can't invoke lemon laws over fuel economy. The numbers are from the EPA, not Toyota. If you truly have a bad car, you are just going to have to trade it in for something else.

The 9th Gen Corolla's can get good fuel economy tho. I got 37MPG on my last tank and after putting summer tires back on, we were rushed and didn't check the PSI. They were only 26psi. I got just a hair over 400 miles before filling up. The fuel light was on. This tank with 34psi in the tires looks like it's going to be a solid 400+ miles too.

The trick it to accelerate really slowly, shift at early RPMs, and don't drive too fast. 55MPH might be the magic speed, but I generally drive 60 on the HWY just not to get run over. I still get passed all the time tho.

I do some hippermilling tricks, like trying to time lights so I don't have to start from a stop, driving behind semi trucks (don't tail gate) and shutting the engine off if I am stuck for awhile. I don't agree with a lot of hippermillers because they do unsafe things, but I do practice a few of the things.

The main thing is just to slow down and don't be in such a hurry. My record is 43MPG, but I can't get that all the time.

We have a 05 5sp with a TRD drop in filter, Mobil 1 oil, and XRS tires and rims. Still on the stock rubber right now. We are at 43K miles and I'm going to change the spark plugs soon.

You can't invoke lemon laws over fuel economy. The numbers are from the EPA, not Toyota. If you truly have a bad car, you are just going to have to trade it in for something else.

The 9th Gen Corolla's can get good fuel economy tho. I got 37MPG on my last tank and after putting summer tires back on, we were rushed and didn't check the PSI. They were only 26psi. I got just a hair over 400 miles before filling up. The fuel light was on. This tank with 34psi in the tires looks like it's going to be a solid 400+ miles too.

The trick it to accelerate really slowly, shift at early RPMs, and don't drive too fast. 55MPH might be the magic speed, but I generally drive 60 on the HWY just not to get run over. I still get passed all the time tho.

I do some hippermilling tricks, like trying to time lights so I don't have to start from a stop, driving behind semi trucks (don't tail gate) and shutting the engine off if I am stuck for awhile. I don't agree with a lot of hippermillers because they do unsafe things, but I do practice a few of the things.

The main thing is just to slow down and don't be in such a hurry. My record is 43MPG, but I can't get that all the time.

We have a 05 5sp with a TRD drop in filter, Mobil 1 oil, and XRS tires and rims. Still on the stock rubber right now. We are at 43K miles and I'm going to change the spark plugs soon.

60mph is the magic speed on my 06

Do you have a scan gage?

Do you have a scan gage?

No, but I drive almost completely on the highway with few stops, and I have played around driving different speeds. If I drive consistently at 60mph I get 39-41mph in the spring/summer and no ac on.

Without a scan gage, you are really only guessing as to what the optimal speed for your car is. Also, the magical speed for your car might not work for other peoples car at different elevations, driving temps, drive train.

Our last tank ended up getting 38MPG. I really think a scan gage is needed to figure out the rest, because it is a guessing game at this point. We obviously get well over the original hwy EPA 41MPG because our last tank really had a good amount of city driving on it. I did end up driving 55 on the HWY because I knew it got so much in town driving compared to the last tank.

Without a scan gage, you are really only guessing as to what the optimal speed for your car is. Also, the magical speed for your car might not work for other peoples car at different elevations, driving temps, drive train.

Our last tank ended up getting 38MPG. I really think a scan gage is needed to figure out the rest, because it is a guessing game at this point. We obviously get well over the original hwy EPA 41MPG because our last tank really had a good amount of city driving on it. I did end up driving 55 on the HWY because I knew it got so much in town driving compared to the last tank.

I think every car is a little different anyway. I calculate the mpg by the amount of gas I put in every fill up and the miles driven. I reset the trip meter every time.... I can't say 60 is 100% exact but it is close.

I think every car is a little different anyway. I calculate the mpg by the amount of gas I put in every fill up and the miles driven. I reset the trip meter every time.... I can't say 60 is 100% exact but it is close.

Yes, every car has a different sweet spot found around 55-65mph. I like to use the tachometer to help me find the right spot with different cars, I like to think that about 2,000 rpm is just right. Really something you have to experiment with. Good Luck

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)