Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Favourite Foods

By c2105026, April 4, 2008

Hello all,

Along the lines of another thread here, an interesting discussion might be what peoples favourite foods are....here are mine....

Cooking for myself - 400g steak, oven potato wedges, smokey BBQ sauce, mint peas. Have also recently discovered kangaroo sausages - 98% fat free, yet $6 a kilo

Cooked by my mother - Spaghetti Bolognaise, salad, parmesan cheese

Fast Food - From a chain: Red Rooster skinfree grilled chicken, salad, chips. Or, McDonalds Chicken Tandoori Roll. I also love subway, especially chicken and bacon ranch sandwich. From 'fish and chip shop': steak sandwich with salad and cheese, sometimes with a Chiko Roll.

Chinese - Beef and Black Bean Sauce with Boiled Rice

Indian - Dahl with rice

Japanese - just love sushi....

Coffe shops - I usually have raisin toast, or a low fat muffin. Sometimes a doughnut or 2.

Chocolate/Candy - Milo Bar, Snickers, Frys turkish delight. Cadburys black forest

Ice cream - mcdonalds strawberry sundae, or Streets Magnum

Novelty - have tried raw cookie dough - was yummy, but soooo rich...

you may notice these aren't indulgent foods - these are just what I am most likely to have on a day to day basis....

The floor is open....

See food diet - I see food, and if I'm hungry - I'll eat it. Seriously, I'll eat just about anything - from shellfish and fish (raw and cooked), meat (raw and cooked), poultry, regular and exotic fruits and vegetables (including the durian fruit - it is as bad as they say). Usually I try and sample the local cuisine anywhere I travel - Louisiana Crawfish, Maryland Blue Crabs, New England clam chowder, Hawaii Poi, etc. - various ethnic restaurants from coast to coast. Granted there are items that I will not eat - any kind of turtle, protected animals, and non-sustainable items.

But favorite foods of all time - burgers + kimchee - have to be together, otherwise I feel I'm only half satisfied. I've had $150 - $500 a head tasting plates in various top Japanese, French, and Contemporary restaurants from coast to coast and up around Montreal (BTW one of the best steak places I've ever eaten at so far) - but nothing tops that juicy burger + freshly made (not sour or heavily pickled) kimchee. If I'm not in the mood for a burger + kimchee, then my family knows that I'm sick or something is wrong.

• 1,424 posts

All time favorite:

Pasta (preferably rigatoni or penne) smothered in a hearty, homemade, rustic marinara sauce.

If I need something that is easier to make, Jambalaya is also a favorite. I like mine with smoked sausage and shrimp.

Sandwiches are also a favorite. The Philly Cheesesteak is my favorite sandwich. A Chicken Panini is my next favorite and a Hot Ham and Swiss on an Onion Roll is next.

I try to stay away from fast food as much as I can. If I can't I like to eat chicken nuggets and chicken sandwiches. I almost never eat fries (chips) and never eat beef at a fast food restaurant.

With my meals I prefer a tall glass of cold water with plenty of ice. I usually don't drink anything with high fructose corn syrup. That means I only drink natural fruit juices, water and homemade iced tea. Pop is a no go unless its diet and part of a mixed drink.

In order to answer this accurately, you'd have to set some parameters. Such as asking the question differently, like "What is your favourite (sic) food that you eat regularly?" You see, I have two favourite foods, one which I eat very rarely and one which I have to stop eating entirely.

The first favourite is lobster. I absolutely love it. But due to it's high cost, I often go for years before I see another one on a plate before me, cooked to perfection (or not!).

My second favourite is ice cream. I no longer eat ice cream, or any of it's frozen dessert variants such as sherbet, sorbet, frozen yogurt, etc. In 1992, I quite accidentally discovered that I was lactose intolerant. This explained a lifetime of illness which could never be diagnosed or cured, as I continued to eat dairy products in the same quantities as anyone else would. When I learned about lactose intolerance, I stopped eating most dairy products, and drinking only lactose-reduced milk. This, of course, included ice cream. The first thing that happened after I eliminated my regular dose of ice cream from my diet is that I lost 20 lbs. (9 kg.) and never put it back on. You see, ice cream, and their frozen counterparts, contain two highly concentrated and nearly indigestible sugars, lactose and sucrose. These highly concentrated forms of sugar are converted directly into glycogen, which, unless it is metabolized immediately through the expenditure of the same amount of energy, will be stored in the body in the form of fat. So, if you eat a dish of ice cream, and then don't immediately go out and work a shift as a lumberjack, or ride the Tour de France, or participate in a Triathalon, that ice cream will be worn around your waistline for a long time to come.

So that disposes of my favourites which I rarely eat or not at all. Now, for those I do:

Salmon. I love salmon, and I eat it often. I'd prefer fresh-caught, of course, but the farm-raised salmon is more readily available and affordable, so that's what I eat the most of.

Pork. As Emeril says, "It's a pork-fat thing!" And indeed, it is! I tend to "pig out" (pun intended) on some form of pork a couple of times a week. It's the other white meat.

Beef. I like it, but while I eat way more beef than lobster, I don't eat it as often as other things, due to the cholesterol issue.

Chicken: I eat waaay to much chicken. But it's fairly healthy as most meats go, affordable, and always available, so it's one of my chief sources of meat protein.

As far as my favourite type of cuisine is concerned, I'd have to say that I have a preference for the Asian styles and their variants. I like my food in the mid-range of spiciness -- hot enough to tell it's there, but not so much that it causes pain in the belly.

Rice: This is probably my favourite form of carbohydrate/starch, noodles second, potatoes third. Bread, fourth.

My favourite veggies are cabbage and it's cousins like broccoli and asparagus, carrots, tomatoes, and butternut squash. I don't eat anywhere enough of any of these, however.

As far as fast food is concerned, I like Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian take out. I eat at the various chain fast-food restaurants often, since I work on the road. However, I tend not to partake of their more heinous non-nutritional choices, such as their french fries. I order my burgers plain with only onion and tomato, no cheese, ketchup, mustard, pickles, or other sauces. This eliminates a fair amount of fat and nearly half the sodium.

My dessert is simple: oatmeal cookies. No lactose issues, not so much sugar, and even a bit of complex carbohydrates and fiber to balance out the negatives.

I may not have covered everything, but that's it in a nutshell.

OBTW, I indulge in a bacon-and-eggs breakfast every Sunday morning.

Bikeman982

This thread makes me hungry.

Max

Mexican, seafood, Italian.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else