Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Will Not Start

by SuperQ, March 17, 2008

I have a '99 Corolla VE, Automatic Transmission and just the other day, it wouldn't start. Ended up having to push it home (luckily I was only a quarter of a mile away). Then, the next morning, she started up just fine and for the rest of the weekend. But, knowing the problem was most likely still there, I started playing around with it by starting it up, letting it run for a minute and then repeating the process and once again, it stopped starting after about the 3rd try.

Here's what happens: I turn the key all the way and nothing happens. I hear a single click, not a very prominent click but a click none-the-less and then a weak humming noise (which my friend tells me is probably the gas pump). The headlights are at full power and everything that can run off the battery runs fine. The battery is only about a year old. Double checked the battery connections for corrosion and tightness but they seem fine, no problems there. UPDATE: If I gently hit the starter a couple times, it lets me start it but just barely (it sounds like it's struggling).

As far as I can tell, if I wait a few hours, the car will start again but then, if I try restarting it, it won't start. The issue appears to happen in cold and warm weather so I don't believe that's a factor. On another note, the starter was replaced about 3 years ago (bought it brand-new from Autozone). My friend thinks it's probably the starter given the circumstances but I'm not sure.

Any ideas and is there any way I can test any of the components of the starter system without taking things off to get them bench tested?

I have a '99 Corolla VE, Automatic Transmission and just the other day, it wouldn't start. Ended up having to push it home (luckily I was only a quarter of a mile away). Then, the next morning, she started up just fine and for the rest of the weekend. But, knowing the problem was most likely still there, I started playing around with it by starting it up, letting it run for a minute and then repeating the process and once again, it stopped starting after about the 3rd try.

Here's what happens: I turn the key all the way and nothing happens. I hear a single click, not a very prominent click but a click none-the-less and then a weak humming noise (which my friend tells me is probably the gas pump). The headlights are at full power and everything that can run off the battery runs fine. The battery is only about a year old. Double checked the battery connections for corrosion and tightness but they seem fine, no problems there. UPDATE: If I gently hit the starter a couple times, it lets me start it but just barely (it sounds like it's struggling).

As far as I can tell, if I wait a few hours, the car will start again but then, if I try restarting it, it won't start. The issue appears to happen in cold and warm weather so I don't believe that's a factor. On another note, the starter was replaced about 3 years ago (bought it brand-new from Autozone). My friend thinks it's probably the starter given the circumstances but I'm not sure.

Any ideas and is there any way I can test any of the components of the starter system without taking things off to get them bench tested?

your solenoid contacts are going bad. autozone rebuilds are not good. you were lucky to get 3 years out of it. here is your clicker fixer unless you bought the "lifetime" starter. i'd toss that junk out and buy a used denso or bosch that needs a kit before i'd put a zoner back in there..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-TOYOTA...58675QQtcZphoto

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)