Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Us Corolla 1999

by chapman.university, March 1, 2008

chapman.university

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I hope you can help me. I have a 1999 corolla and the far right of the climate control knob is not lighting. If the problem is not the fuse, can anyone give me instruction how to change the bulb? BTW what is that bulb specification?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I hope you can help me. I have a 1999 corolla and the far right of the climate control knob is not lighting. If the problem is not the fuse, can anyone give me instruction how to change the bulb? BTW what is that bulb specification?

Thanks in advance

I think it should be the same as my 01.

1) take a flat head screwdriver and remove the center panel, it pops out by undoing 4-6 plastic clips

2) you should then be able to see the two screws that hold the climate control unit

3) you then can take out the bulbs out of the back

I dont know what the bulb size is but I think it is the same as the ones in the gauge cluster.

hope this helps

Unfortunately, the AC/Heat panel lights are not the ones from the instrument panel. Instrument panel lights on Gen 8 Corollas are the traditional GM-originated 194's. The AC/Heat Panel (Heater Control Bulb, as Toyota calls it) are Light Number 2721.

You can find them at your local auto store. Sylvania lists them as "European Lights" (black pack/green letters), but they'll do just as well. The illumination section of the bulb won't be as fat as the Sylvania 2721's, so you may have to use a teeny-tiny bit of clear glue to make the "light condom" stay. Don't try to lay the condom on there with no adhesive - it'll slip off after you try to insert the light apparatus back into the heater panel and then you'll have to take apart the damned controller panel to find the sunuvab**ches. You can buy the light condoms - where to get them, I don't know - but just go with the little drop of clear glue to save yourself trouble. It's light replacement; not a NASA mission.

Do NOT go with Light Number 74, which is the American version of 2721. The terminal section of the bulb is too short, thanks to my country's uppity proud b.s. regarding the metric system.

Now, if you truly want to go OEM - fat bulb and all - check with your local Toyota dealer. No telling what those bulb numbers are, so just make sure you tell them "Heater Control Bulb for 99 Corolla". Chances are they will have them...with the usual dealer 7000-9000% markup.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)