Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By visionsofblue, January 31, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

1997 5 speed manual///231K

Late October...after having no problems, car won't start.

Turn the key over, get radio, lights, beeping, etc...but won't start. This happened on and off for about a week.

Plenty of juice in the battery (got it tested) and on the rare occasion it did

start, it turned right over with my problem. I figured bad connection somewhere

and brought it to the shop. Of course the problem went away and it hasn't happened again until

yesterday when driving through Canada. I stopped for a coffee and...no start. Push-started it and

made it home. So the problem is still there...I figure bad connection somewhere in the ignition, but where

to start looking???

You can hear a small buzzing noise when you turn the key over, but no start. Again, when it does start, it turns

over no problem, so I think the starter itself is ok??? Any suggestions...

Sounds like the starter solenoid / contacts are the most probably issues. Could also be the ignition switch itself - but if you are able to push start it fine, then I'd concentrate on the solenoid / contacts. Also double check the batter connections - make sure they are on good and tight - corrosion free.

Bikeman982

Lots of threads with similar problem.

Could be anything from connections to battery/starter, to bad solenoid, ignition switch, even neutral safety switch (automatic), clutch interlock switch (manual) and sometimes a relay or wiring problem.

Intermittent problem is generally a bad connection, or a component going bad.

Check previous posts for possible corrective actions.

Pretty sure the starter itself is shot.

Any ideas what the best place to acquire a new one at the best price??? I will be having a friend put it in for me for a couple of cases of beer:)

Thanks in advance-

Bikeman982

Pretty sure the starter itself is shot.Any ideas what the best place to acquire a new one at the best price??? I will be having a friend put it in for me for a couple of cases of beer:)

Thanks in advance-

You could check e-Bay - I know they have them.

I have two or three spares in my yard, but you would do better with a new one.

I also have to change the starter on my 1995. Same deal as you.

I took a used one I had from another engine and cleaned it up (took it apart and cleaned it).

I will be putting it in next week (maybe).

Now I am working on a neighbors 1997. I have to bypass a theft deterrent system.

I sold my 1993 today and am happy about that.

Let me know if you find a starter, or if you want an old used one from me.

Pretty sure the starter itself is shot.Any ideas what the best place to acquire a new one at the best price??? I will be having a friend put it in for me for a couple of cases of beer:)

Thanks in advance-

I took a used one I had from another engine and cleaned it up (took it apart and cleaned it).

Now I am working on a neighbors 1997. I have to bypass a theft deterrent system.

Think I'll just take the hit and buy a new one. It's about $100 bucks at Autozone after core return. I might take you up on your generous offer

but I think you live in CA and being from MI it would take a while to get here, and time is off the essence right now. Thanks for the offer though.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Bikeman982

Thanks in advance-

Think I'll just take the hit and buy a new one. It's about $100 bucks at Autozone after core return. I might take you up on your generous offer

but I think you live in CA and being from MI it would take a while to get here, and time is off the essence right now. Thanks for the offer though.

Ok - sounds like a good deal. Keep us informed.

Are you changing it yourself, or having it done??

Thanks in advance-

Ok - sounds like a good deal. Keep us informed.

Are you changing it yourself, or having it done??

Well, scraped the hell out of my knuckles and needed a little help (man, that thing is kinda buried in there), but the new starter is in the car.

The car also starts now. This is good. Thanks for all your help.

Bikeman982

Good to hear that a starter change did the trick.

I plan on changing mine.

I will try not to skin my knuckles (I try to wear gloves as I work).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm