Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Belt Tensioner

Guest JennysCorolla

I was wondering how to get my belt off my 03 corolla. I have about 45k miles and it needs to be changed. Can anyone help me out?? I see the tensioner, but i have no idea on where to start. Any help will be appreciated!

Guest JennysCorolla

any help will be greatly appreciated. I have the new belt, just cant figure out the tensioner! Thx in advance!

Put a wrench on the bolt head that is next to the pivot point on the belt tensioner assembly - should be two bolt heads or nuts there. Hold it back with a wrench or ratchet - pull the old belt off. Slip new on one and pull it back to remove tension on it to slid new belt on.

45K is pretty short for a accessory belt change - though I have seen them go sooner. Usually - the belt is fine, but the tensioner is causing the problems. Usually I replace the tensioner when I replace the belt - saves hassles down the road.

Hello, I would gently suggest that IF you're not strong and used to doing this, why not buy the belt at Autozone or where ever, and take it along with a big smile to your local garage guy and have him put it on for you... for a fee. You get to see how it's done and he does it in about seven minutes. Just a thought... Jim

Guest JennysCorolla

well this is jenny's husband doing the typing lol. i am pretty good with a wrench, but with these newer cars, it is so hard to tell. There are 2 nuts and i figured that one of them would be it but i wasnt sure if i needed to loosen the 17mm bolt first (the lower bolt) and then use a 19mm for the other bolt (top bolt) to make the belt come loose. The motor mount isnt much better in the way either. it making a horrible sound but once you start going it stops. it is getting really annoying. pep boys wants 37 bucks to put just the belt on and the belt was 32 bucks. so should i loosen the 17mm bolt first, then go for the 19mm bolt to losen up the belt? thanks in advance

It is spring loaded - you don't have to loosen the other bolt. A long handled ratchet is good to use here. Sounds like the tensioner is going or the belt is glazed - they usually get glazed from just airborne and road debris, belt dressings generally make everything worse. If you change the belt and the noise is still there - then chances are the tensioner is shot. Dealer wanted more than @250 for the assembly - but you can get one aftermarket for half or a third less.

Good Luck.

Guest JennysCorolla

so i hold down the 19mm bolt and it will be all good correct?

Should be good to go.

I don't remember 100% if is it was the smaller or larger bolt for the pivot - about 90% sure, it was the larger of the two. But you should be able to tell - just by looking at it.

Guest JennysCorolla

yeah i think it is the 19mm top bolt that lets it go. i am mad tho, the socket i have is a 3/8 and i need a 1/2 wrench to give enough room to get my hand on it to push it lol. now i have to go back up to autozone and buy a 19mm 1/2 socket and then i can proceed! but now it is raining outside so i might as well give up lol!! If isnt one thing it is another!!!!!!! Thanks for all the help peeps, i really appreciate it.

Guest JennysCorolla

Fixed!!!!!! The only problem i ran into was getting it to go back on! Other than that, not a problem. changed the oil and it is good to go!! No more squeeks!!!

Topic List