Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Horn Not Working

by mjusa, January 8, 2008

Recently my horn just stopped working. I checked the fuse and it is fine...I doesnt look burned. Does anyone else know what it could be?

Thanks!

Bikeman982

Only two reasons (maybe three) why the horn does not work.

1. No power to the horn.

2. No ground for the horn.

3. Horn out of adjustment or bad.

Check the power wire - make sure you are getting power to the horn (includes fuse, relay, wires, etc).

Make sure the horn is grounded.

Try adjusting the little screw on the horn (used to alter tone a little),

If you have a known good horn, you can swap it out to verify your horn is good or bad.

Check out another thread on this horn problem -

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?...597&hl=horn

Connect a multimeter across the terminals on the horn and check that current is flowing/voltage is applied when you press the steering wheel switch to activate. Make sure no rust has built up on the prongs where the wires attach, and that the wires are attached securely. If that all checks out then the problem is the horn itself and it's time for a new one.

• 1,424 posts
Recently my horn just stopped working. I checked the fuse and it is fine...I doesnt look burned. Does anyone else know what it could be?

Thanks!

Does the cruise control work?

If it does not work and the horn does not work, that is a sure sign of a bad clockspring.

The clockspring is the device that allows electrical current to pass into the steering column as it turns.

If it is bad, it has to be replaced and it is neither cheap nor easy. This is a job best left to the dealer

Thanks!

Does the cruise control work?

If it does not work and the horn does not work, that is a sure sign of a bad clockspring.

The clockspring is the device that allows electrical current to pass into the steering column as it turns.

If it is bad, it has to be replaced and it is neither cheap nor easy. This is a job best left to the dealer

Thanks guys, I will work on the horn this weekend and let you know what I find out. Much appreciated!

Bikeman982

Great - let us know what you find (good for future reference).

My horn on my 2005 CE Corolla is working, but it is not loud enough to actually work. I was wondering if I can hook up an pickup truck air horn (Duals) instead? If so how would I go about it? I dont want to fry everything electrical.

Bikeman982

My horn on my 2005 CE Corolla is working, but it is not loud enough to actually work. I was wondering if I can hook up an pickup truck air horn (Duals) instead? If so how would I go about it? I dont want to fry everything electrical.

Are they electric or pneumatic??

My son substituted another horn (much louder) for his stock horn and it was just a matter of taking the old horn off, mounting the new horn and splicing it in (same wires as from old horn).

I once put air horns on a van and had to add a compressor to my motor with a tube going from it to a tank, to the horns.

Should not be hard to do.

I'd try one of the FIAMM "Freeway Blaster Horns" horns - they are not that much bigger (electrical current-wise and physical size-wise) than the OEM ones, don't have to wire in any additional relays or such - just have to remove the old bracket and install the new one in its place - job can be done in less than 15-20 minutes. Runs about $13-$17 at most autoparts retailers. I'd recommend the "low" tone variant versus the "high" tone - think old GM horn from a truck or large Buick - they will hear that horn.

Bikeman982

Most aftermarket horns will wire right in to your existing wires.

The problem may be on where to mount it (if it does not fit where the old horn was).

Wiring is basically a power wire and sometimes a ground (if it is not frame grounded).

Hope this helps.

When choosing a louder horn, make sure that the power needed to run them is not higher then the stock one. It is easy to find the electrical highway blaster horns that are pretty easy to install using the stock wire.

If you get air horns, make sure to get one with a relay and full install kit included or make sure you know what you are doing. If you try to use the stock wire to run the air pump, it can and most likely will melt.

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to find the relay for the horn and I have no idea where I can locate it. I am driving a 1998 Prizm.

Thanks

If the Prism is anything like the Corolla - electrically, then the horn relay is on the right side of the car (Driver's side) in the engine compartment. Be right next to the fender - behind the battery and infront of the right front strut - the larger of the two covered boxes on the right side. Once you open the box - the relay will be the middle of the three rearmost relays (closest to the windshield).

Bikeman982

If the Prism is anything like the Corolla - electrically, then the horn relay is on the right side of the car (Driver's side) in the engine compartment. Be right next to the fender - behind the battery and infront of the right front strut - the larger of the two covered boxes on the right side. Once you open the box - the relay will be the middle of the three rearmost relays (closest to the windshield).
You mean the left front strut. Driver's side is considered the left.

Just like in airplanes, cars are oriented from the pilot (driver's) position.

I solved the problem finally. I checked the fuses and they were fine. I replaced the relay and the relay was not the cause of the problem. Then I realized that then I press the center of the steering wheel to engage the horn there is no click which is the noise which indicates that the relay is engaged. <<If I am incorrect in the technicals of this post please correct me>>. So I decided that I have to remove the center steering cover which houses the airbag. To do this you have to remove the two plugs from left and right sides of the steering wheel if steering is centered. Then unscrew the two screws and slowly remove the center cover. Unplug the airbag wire so that the cover can be removed. Once I did this I realized what the problem was. The horn wire was split and all I had to do was fix that and the problem was solved. I hope this helps others in the future.

Bikeman982

I solved the problem finally. I checked the fuses and they were fine. I replaced the relay and the relay was not the cause of the problem. Then I realized that then I press the center of the steering wheel to engage the horn there is no click which is the noise which indicates that the relay is engaged. <<If I am incorrect in the technicals of this post please correct me>>. So I decided that I have to remove the center steering cover which houses the airbag. To do this you have to remove the two plugs from left and right sides of the steering wheel if steering is centered. Then unscrew the two screws and slowly remove the center cover. Unplug the airbag wire so that the cover can be removed. Once I did this I realized what the problem was. The horn wire was split and all I had to do was fix that and the problem was solved. I hope this helps others in the future.
Excellent update for the solution. Most of us thought it was a horn, or relay problem.

The horn switch in the steering wheel seldom goes bad, but you found that your wires there were bad.

Good to hear that your horn is working again!

Its a Fram Truck Air Horn that comes with a compressor. Its not for a normal pickup truck its for those Semi's.

Bikeman982

Its a Fram Truck Air Horn that comes with a compressor. Its not for a normal pickup truck its for those Semi's.
Hook it up and see how it sounds!

If this is something you are going to look at yourself then I would be locating the horn at the front of the car, take the wire off clean it up and put a tester on it, if you don't have a tester then a simple bulb, ask someone to press the horn and see what you get there,

It may be you need a new horn! http://bit.ly/2obFLAv

Topic List