Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1991 Corolla Issues

By Guest elam251, December 15, 2007 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

Guest elam251

Hello,

I have a 1991 Corolla automatic with 117,000 miles. The car started making an intermittint whinning noise at first. Then over the past week it was whinning all the time, getting louder with or without acceleration with no noticeable shifting problems. Next the power steering went out (was whinning for about a week when making sharp turns before it went out) and my brakes don't work until i pump it a couple times after starting the car.

Then yesterday while driving about 30mph the car came to an abrupt hault as if the wheels had been turned sideways. I tried Drive, 2nd and Low and reved the engine but it wouldn't move. Then i waited a couple minutes and after reving it, it started to go slowly now making a grinding/whining noise and wouldn't go much over 30mph just reving at times. I managed to get it home and upon putting the car in reverse to park it the shift lever was really tough to get back into park.

I checked all the fluids under the hood and no check engine lights are on. I get about 250miles to the tank. I am at a loss here. I've worked on a few cars myself but have never had this problem. This car is originally from Texas and now resides in Wisconsin. This it it's first winter.

I called around and someone said it sounds like the torque converter but i'd like to get a second opinion.

any suggestions???

Bikeman982

Hello,

I have a 1991 Corolla automatic with 117,000 miles. The car started making an intermittint whinning noise at first. Then over the past week it was whinning all the time, getting louder with or without acceleration with no noticeable shifting problems. Next the power steering went out (was whinning for about a week when making sharp turns before it went out) and my brakes don't work until i pump it a couple times after starting the car.

Then yesterday while driving about 30mph the car came to an abrupt hault as if the wheels had been turned sideways. I tried Drive, 2nd and Low and reved the engine but it wouldn't move. Then i waited a couple minutes and after reving it, it started to go slowly now making a grinding/whining noise and wouldn't go much over 30mph just reving at times. I managed to get it home and upon putting the car in reverse to park it the shift lever was really tough to get back into park.

I checked all the fluids under the hood and no check engine lights are on. I get about 250miles to the tank. I am at a loss here. I've worked on a few cars myself but have never had this problem. This car is originally from Texas and now resides in Wisconsin. This it it's first winter.

I called around and someone said it sounds like the torque converter but i'd like to get a second opinion.

any suggestions???

I never heard of torque converters going bad.

I would guess that your CV joints have worn to the point where they won't turn your wheels.

It is also possible that your transaxle has failed.

I am sure the brakes are not related, since they are an independent system.

The car would require inspection to be certain of the exact problem.

What I would do would be to jack it up and put it on ramps and a jack stand and check everything.

You can take off the wheels and inspect the power train - hubs/bearings/driveshafts/transaxle, etc.

Hope this helps.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm