Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Check These Out -

By Bikeman982, December 9, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

Here's the pictures I've linked to in other threads around here.My '93 Corolla

I'm always checking out other 7th gens on the road. Many of them are beaters, at least around these parts. I just hope they'll hit the junkyard soon so I can scavenge them for parts.

I sold a 1994 that was the same color. It came from New Jersey and had plenty of rust.

What did you repair - the windshield, or the area around the windshield?

I just had windshields changed on my 1995 and the 1997.

New seals were put in at the same time.

The cars I have don't have any rust on them.

The rust was from 7 years I lived in Cincinnati, I presume. I'm sure most California cars are mostly uncorroded.

I took the car in to have the (cracked) windshield replaced , and halfway through they called me up to say they found severe rusting in the top frame corners. So I got my windshield-free car and took it to a body shop, where the frame rust was excised and fresh metal was welded into the gap, and then coated with that sealant. That done, the car went back to the glass shop for a new windshield. Unlike the stock windshield, the new one has a blue tinted fringe across the top.

That was last Aug-Sept. My car was tied up for a month. One shop wanted to replace the entire roof for ~$2,700. I spent only $300 on the bodywork (friend prices) and the new windshield was courtesy of Allstate.

Bikeman982

Here's the pictures I've linked to in other threads around here.My '93 Corolla

I'm always checking out other 7th gens on the road. Many of them are beaters, at least around these parts. I just hope they'll hit the junkyard soon so I can scavenge them for parts.

I sold a 1994 that was the same color. It came from New Jersey and had plenty of rust.

What did you repair - the windshield, or the area around the windshield?

I just had windshields changed on my 1995 and the 1997.

New seals were put in at the same time.

The cars I have don't have any rust on them.

The rust was from 7 years I lived in Cincinnati, I presume. I'm sure most California cars are mostly uncorroded.

I took the car in to have the (cracked) windshield replaced , and halfway through they called me up to say they found severe rusting in the top frame corners. So I got my windshield-free car and took it to a body shop, where the frame rust was excised and fresh metal was welded into the gap, and then coated with that sealant. That done, the car went back to the glass shop for a new windshield. Unlike the stock windshield, the new one has a blue tinted fringe across the top.

That was last Aug-Sept. My car was tied up for a month. One shop wanted to replace the entire roof for ~$2,700. I spent only $300 on the bodywork (friend prices) and the new windshield was courtesy of Allstate.

Did you drive the car without the windshield??

It is nice to have friends and insurance that can take care of you (and the car).

The newer windshields have the upper portion of the window tinted (a good feature).

$2700 for another roof sounds extreme - I buy entire cars for a lot less money!!

The best thing anyone can do in those rust-prone states is to get the car undercoated and then keep it washed and waxed to prevent a lot of the rust.

The salt on the roads is very corrosive to metal and it doesn't take long for rust to start.

Good luck working on it.

Bikeman982

The new windshields on my 1995 and 1997 look great.

I recommend anyone that has a crack starting on their windshield get it stop-drilled, before it spreads.

My 1994 had a crack (about 6 inches long) and now (after getting it stop-drilled) it has not spread any further.

The new windshields on my 1995 and 1997 look great.I recommend anyone that has a crack starting on their windshield get it stop-drilled, before it spreads.

My 1994 had a crack (about 6 inches long) and now (after getting it stop-drilled) it has not spread any further.

Good to know.

*makes mental note*

Bikeman982

Otherwise it will go all the way across your windshield.

Bikeman982

I sold both the 1995 and the 1997.

I am still driving the 1994 and my son the 1993.

Topic List