Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Alzheimer Father In Law

By muzak, November 19, 2007

Today my wife and inlaws went for breakfast. My veteran father in law has the beginning of alzheimers and I was kicked in the shin today by my wife as she didn't recognize the glare I was giving an older couple at the next table. They were turned around laughing at my father in law as he was doing a weird unknown thing by spreading ketchup on his toast. After my wife realized why I was so "issed off", she said I should have said something.

What would have been the polite thing to say to that couple??

• 1,424 posts
Today my wife and inlaws went for breakfast. My veteran father in law has the beginning of alzheimers and I was kicked in the shin today by my wife as she didn't recognize the glare I was giving an older couple at the next table. They were turned around laughing at my father in law as he was doing a weird unknown thing by spreading ketchup on his toast. After my wife realized why I was so "issed off", she said I should have said something. What would have been the polite thing to say to that couple??

Why were they even looking at what he was doing? Spreading Ketchup on toast isn't something so weird that it should attract attention from others.

My take on the situation:

The people watching and laughing are jackasses and they should learn to mind their own business.

Staring and laughing at others who are having trouble doing things because of a disease, handicap or disability is cruel.

There is a special place in Hell for those who do things like that, and karma is a bitch, what you do to others gets done to you.

Honestly, there is nothing nice or non-confrontational to say to the couple and when that is the case it is better to say nothing to them instead of causing a bigger scene.

Bikeman982

Everybody has their little quirks.

I would have just said that is the way he likes his toast.

Food preferences vary and everyone has the right to eat what they want.

Don't be offended by others laughing - they are just idiots. Shake it off and press on.

I agree with the other's comments...probably best to say nothing but if you really have to....

Assuming they were still there, it would probably be better to mention your disappointment when leaving and your father-in-law is out of earshot. Sometimes people need to hear about their poor behavior in order to correct it in the future.

It's too bad that adults would need to act like children. Kids can be brutal. As difficult as special needs can be in the classroom with all of the pressure today it's a great experience for most kids. They learn to accept people that are different and the world is better for it.

Your situation is not funny but the Joe Pesci routine in Goodfellas came to mind.

That's a tough disease. My best to your family.

Jay in MA

What would have been the polite thing to say to that couple??

Bikeman982

You should have gone over and confronted the idiots.

Don't let them get away with laughing at someone else.

People today have no respect for others.

One of my favorite sandwiches is bacon,ketsup and onions on toast. Put some ketsup on the bacon while cooking it. However I seldom make this since it makes a mess when the sugar in the ketsup burns and sticks to the pan like engine deposits. No diagnosis of Alzheimers yet.

Bikeman982

One of my favorite sandwiches is bacon,ketsup and onions on toast. Put some ketsup on the bacon while cooking it. However I seldom make this since it makes a mess when the sugar in the ketsup burns and sticks to the pan like engine deposits. No diagnosis of Alzheimers yet.
Doesn't mean you have Alzheimes, just means you you like bacon, katsup, and onions on toast.

We all have our idiosynchracies. That's what makes the world so interesting - we are not all alike.

Doesn't mean you have Alzheimes, just means you you like bacon, katsup, and onions on toast.

We all have our idiosynchracies. That's what makes the world so interesting - we are not all alike.

Ok..so now I'm wondering...what's the difference between "catsup", "ketchup", "katsup", "ketsup"? I hear them all where I live and should maybe ask Mr. Heinz?

By the way....getting much harder day by day. If this ever happens to me and I forget who my wife and children are...just shoot me as it seems to be hardest on the family. Man, I would be happy right now to forget all about any bills and worries around me, but I guess I should be thankful.

K_Watson

I like salt on my shredded wheat. default_smile

Bikeman982

Ok..so now I'm wondering...what's the difference between "catsup", "ketchup", "katsup", "ketsup"? I hear them all where I live and should maybe ask Mr. Heinz?

By the way....getting much harder day by day. If this ever happens to me and I forget who my wife and children are...just shoot me as it seems to be hardest on the family. Man, I would be happy right now to forget all about any bills and worries around me, but I guess I should be thankful.

I think the differences are just in the spelling - it is all the same stuff.

Put that in your "Living Will".

What I want to know is, what's the big deal over ketchup on toast? Sounds tasty, but I've been known to put ketchup on saltine crackers, also. Pretty much the same thing, however.

BTW, ketchup is also great on a grilled cheese sandwich!

Bikeman982

What I want to know is, what's the big deal over ketchup on toast? Sounds tasty, but I've been known to put ketchup on saltine crackers, also. Pretty much the same thing, however.

BTW, ketchup is also great on a grilled cheese sandwich!

A lot of people like it on their eggs.

I do...some people are grossed out by that.

I love ketchup......but don't like it on hot dogs still.

A lot of people like it on their eggs.

Bikeman982

I don't really eat a lot of katsup - just on burgers and at the fast food places.

I don't even put it on my french fries. I think it contains too much salt.

Tomatoes are my favorite fruit and I eat a lot of them.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else