Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Highest Miles On Their Car

by VinNumber, November 15, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

I got a 99' Prizm and it has 188,046 Miles. It runs like a champ. I've kept up with the maintanance and soon I'll be replacing the front stuts for the first time.

That's excellent to hear from another 1ZZ-FE. There are a few that are getting up there - many are over 100K, some like you are getting very close to that 200K mark - I believe there is a 2003 Corolla owner with over 200K miles on this site.

My 2002 just rolled to 140,000 miles this week - also been fairly reliable aside from a persistent EVAP issue that keeps popping up. Otherwise, a consistent 32-36MPG average on mixed driving, normal maintenance schedule, doesn't use any oil at all, and oil changes with synthetic every 7500+ miles with the "tall" oil filters.

My 2000 CE has 184,000 miles. Its an oil burner but otherwise rock solid reliable.

I've replaced the spark plugs, catalytic converter, battery, and rear O2 sensor. Other than brakes, tires, fluids, and filters and the previous mentioned items, all original.

Disappointed about the oil consumption, but can't complain about anything else really.

jim

Bikeman982

I just turned 175,000 on my last project car (tranny changed) (I am driving it until sold),

I have 184,000 on my daily driver, and my latest project car has 242,000 (tranny to be changed).

I also have several instrument clusters that have various miles on them.

I'm at 205,000 miles on my '93. It had 57K miles on it when I bought it. I'd like new struts cuz I'm still riding on the originals. It's burning oil now, so I'm thinking of new valve stem seals.

Tempted to list all the maintenance I've done, but I'll be concise and say it looks great inside and out and runs/shifts just fine.

Maybe we need a thread here for listing all the work done on our cars.

Bikeman982

I'm at 205,000 miles on my '93. It had 57K miles on it when I bought it. I'd like new struts cuz I'm still riding on the originals. It's burning oil now, so I'm thinking of new valve stem seals.

Tempted to list all the maintenance I've done, but I'll be concise and say it looks great inside and out and runs/shifts just fine.

Does that include project cars as well?

That's excellent to hear from another 1ZZ-FE. There are a few that are getting up there - many are over 100K, some like you are getting very close to that 200K mark - I believe there is a 2003 Corolla owner with over 200K miles on this site.

My 2002 just rolled to 140,000 miles this week - also been fairly reliable aside from a persistent EVAP issue that keeps popping up. Otherwise, a consistent 32-36MPG average on mixed driving, normal maintenance schedule, doesn't use any oil at all, and oil changes with synthetic every 7500+ miles with the "tall" oil filters.

Fish, are you still on original O2 sensors? I havent had a look underneath, how many are there?

When did you change your spark plugs over?

ATM Im concerned that fuel usage may be a bit high, about 110km per 1/4 tank of fuel though this is a rough estimate just by going off the dash gauges.

Ill have to try a serious fuel mileage test this weekend. If I can achieve your benchmark of 32-36mpg for a 1ZZFE, Ill be pleased.

Hmm. It seems that their is a lot of you in this forum have problems with oil consumptionon on your high mileage cars. What is the best way to prevent on oil burning besides scheduled oil and changes?

I wonder if most oil burning would be fixed by new rings? Or is it the pistons themselves that are worn?

Of course anyone who wants the rings changed will be told that he "might as well" get the PCV valve replaced, the water pump replaced, the engine rebuilt...etc "while we are at it".

Fish, are you still on original O2 sensors? I havent had a look underneath, how many are there?

When did you change your spark plugs over?

ATM Im concerned that fuel usage may be a bit high, about 110km per 1/4 tank of fuel though this is a rough estimate just by going off the dash gauges.

Ill have to try a serious fuel mileage test this weekend. If I can achieve your benchmark of 32-36mpg for a 1ZZFE, Ill be pleased.

Yup - still on original O2 sensors - though I'm planning on changing them out at 150K miles - as they have a finite lifespan and I'm already pushing it as is. I changed the plug a little after 90K miles - they still looked pretty good - but the same way, didn't want to push my luck on those. I usually plug the plugs every other year - just to keep them from sticking to the head and make sure that everything is OK.

As for mileage concerns - sometimes the O2 sensor gets "lazy" - where it doesn't work quite right, but not bad enough to trip a CEL. If you have consistently low fuel economy regardless of driving conditions and distance - then you might have a "lazy" sensor, among other things.

As for high oil consumption - it seems to be centered around bad valve stem seals and very much on stuck piston rings. Break-in methods doesn't seem to be an issue - as I've seen oil burners that have been babied since they were purchased new and others that have their rev limiter bounced against since leaving the dealer lot.

Making sure that you change the oil on a timely basis is always a good thing, but will not fix any physical damage, ie. if the rings were broken or cylinder walls were heavily scored. But regular, consistent maintenance can make sure that heavy deposits do not form and existing deposits will be slowly cleaned away - especially if you use an oil with higher solvency and/or dispersive properties. Can't really prevent oil burning - if the engine is predisposed to burn oil - but you can lessen the likelyhood of having a significant heavy oil burner if you keep an eye on oil levels, and change it when appropriate.

Fortunantely - both of my cars have been the non-oil burning type. Corolla I bought new - the Matrix was previously owned. Though my Corolla is one of those EVAP trouble ones - started around 30K-32K miles and has been intermittent every since, usually pops up right around emission time LOL.

For inspiration only.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/miles.shtml

Anything over 300K is great for a gasoline engine. They have gone farther tho. Not sure if it's still up, but someone was selling a Honda with over 800K miles on it. It wasn't even that old. The owner just kept replacing timing belts and water pumps when needed and the engine kept going.

default_wink

You are a special case. I would want it limited to daily drivers. I'm more interested in needed maintenance over a daily driver's lifespan rather than the renovation/rebuild process.

Bikeman982

default_wink

You are a special case. I would want it limited to daily drivers. I'm more interested in needed maintenance over a daily driver's lifespan rather than the renovation/rebuild process.

One of my project cars became my daily driver.

Also, I usually drive my project car for a couple of months prior to selling.

Right now I am driving my last project car and my daily driver (alternating),

while I have my latest project car in the garage - a work in progress.

It does not lend itself to what would be the normal for maintenance,

but it does give invaluable information for anyone needing it as far as performing a particular maintenance.

I have done everything from engine changes, transaxle changes, and body part changes as well.

I can tell you how to change every light bulb, any body panel, any part to an engine, or anything in the engine compartment,

as well as seats, door parts (window regulators, power window motors, etc.).

I can't tell you what maintenance would be needed over a driver's lifespan, but I could tell you what maintenance would be needed over a vehicle's lifespan.

It is kind of a different perspective, but an enlightening one.

i have over 242000 on my 93 . it still runs and looks great. i bought it 2 years ago for $1100 when my buddies dealership took it in trade. he bought it for about $600 ,put a timing belt and tensioner on it and sold it to me. i put rotors and pads all arround,a starter solenoid,a battery,and a speedometer cluster on it when i bought it. I have put over 26000 trouble free miles on it since.

we both have done well on this one.

My 98 is about to roll over 170,000 in the next week or two.

Fishexpo, what is the "tall" oil filter? 7500 miles between oil changes sounds good. At 550 miles per week, I was looking at every 5 to 6 weeks for an oil change at 3000 between. 7500 between would be awesome. That'd be every 13 to 14 weeks.

I'm ashamed to admit that my last oil change was approximately 12,000 miles ago. default_sad The oil is black, and was 2 quarts low this morning. I added 2 quarts of cheap dino oil (was synthetic originally) and a bottle of STP oil treatment, and also bought a normal filter and the synthetic oil I'll need to change the oil this weekend.

I'm still getting 35mpg average, the car still pulls strong (but not as strong as it did when I bought it 11 months/24,000 miles ago). I'm also planning to change the plugs and wires back to toyota plugs and wires this weekend. And I'm finally going to get around to changing the tranny fluid to synthetic.

Still, the car is doing great. This time next year I expect to see it over 200,000 miles easy. Assuming I keep up with the maintenance anyway.

jim

edit: corrected because I mis-remembered the miles by about 10,000, approaching 170,000 not 180,000.

Fishexpo, what is the "tall" oil filter? 7500 miles between oil changes sounds good. At 550 miles per week, I was looking at every 5 to 6 weeks for an oil change at 3000 between. 7500 between would be awesome. That'd be every 13 to 14 weeks.

Just ask for the oil filter for a 7th gen (2000-2005) Celica GT-S or for Matrix XRS - same filter diameter, pressure relief rating, and overall design, except the case is physically longer by 1/2" or so. Many of the extended oil change owners run the longer filter to have more filter media available to trap more "stuff". Many cases, the oil can go much further than what deposits the oil filter can hold. Even with synthetics - the shorty filter can get loaded up in a hurry. With a tall filter and synthetic oil - my UOA (Used Oil Analysis) showed that I could run well beyond what I originally though. Did a few at 14K and 16K miles - oil was still good, insoluables were starting to go up but probably OK. Others that have run similar UOA - have found the short filters good to about 7500 miles, the tall ones good to 10K-12K miles. All depending on the engine and driving conditions, of course.

I generally use OEM Toyota or Purolator filters - whichever I can get on sale. Just ran out of Toyota filters, so I'm using my stockpile of Puralotor Premium Plus and PureOil filters - "short" filters are #PL14476 or #L14476 - the "tall" filters are #PL14477 or #L14477. I like the PureOil over the standard Puralotor ones - but having so much more filter media might lead to significant restriction in oil flow. Though I've never had an oil related issue or oil starved engine since I started using these filters. For Toyota OEM filters - the "short" filters are #90915-YZZA2 and #90915-YZZF2 - the "tall" filters are #90915-YZZA1 or #90915-YZZF1.

Thanks Fishexpo, that's good to know. Next time I am at the dealership I'll pick up some of those tall filters.

I mis-remembered my odometer reading, and am about to roll 170,000 not 180,000, which means it was 12,000 miles from the last oil change, not 22,000. That makes me feel better.... a little anyway.

Yet another thing I need to start managing better. Of course, 7500 miles per change would make it less of a chore.

As it is, I need to get 2 more new tires, rotate the fronts to the back, get the brakes checked, and find out where the vibration in the front end is coming from. Oh, and I need a new windshield before march (inspection date) as I managed to crack mine rather good. default_sad

jim

Lol 20,000 beat that....oh wait, crap. default_huh

Bikeman982

Thanks Fishexpo, that's good to know. Next time I am at the dealership I'll pick up some of those tall filters.

I mis-remembered my odometer reading, and am about to roll 170,000 not 180,000, which means it was 12,000 miles from the last oil change, not 22,000. That makes me feel better.... a little anyway.

Yet another thing I need to start managing better. Of course, 7500 miles per change would make it less of a chore.

As it is, I need to get 2 more new tires, rotate the fronts to the back, get the brakes checked, and find out where the vibration in the front end is coming from. Oh, and I need a new windshield before march (inspection date) as I managed to crack mine rather good. default_sad

jim

After 12,000 miles your car probably could use a filter and oil change.

I got a 99' Prizm and it has 188,046 Miles. It runs like a champ. I've kept up with the maintanance and soon I'll be replacing the front stuts for the first time.
Here's a shot of a Toyota I almost bought last summer. I saw this car (in good shape) sitting in the field by itself at the local dealer and it was sold the day it came in. I don't even remember the model or year of the car.

<a href="http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476669" target="_blank">http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476669</a>

http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476671

Bikeman982

Here's a shot of a Toyota I almost bought last summer. I saw this car (in good shape) sitting in the field by itself at the local dealer and it was sold the day it came in. I don't even remember the model or year of the car.

<a href="http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476669" target="_blank">http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476669</a>

<a href="http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476671" target="_blank">http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476671</a>

Looks like one of my cars - 7th generation Corolla (1993-1997).

It is probably a 1993. Looks like it had front end repainted.

It probably had the engine/tranny replaced to get those miles, maybe not original.

How much did they want for it??

<a href="http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476671" target="_blank">http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1476671</a>

Looks like one of my cars - 7th generation Corolla (1993-1997).

It is probably a 1993. Looks like it had front end repainted.

It probably had the engine/tranny replaced to get those miles, maybe not original.

How much did they want for it??

I don't think I am getting the most honest response from the local dealer as they said they got a thousand bucks for the car. It seems as soon as a good used car appears.....it dissapears and is sold right away.

My 1995 Corolla has 199,700 miles on it. I bought it when it had 120k (a little old lady owned it and it got totalled by insurance for hail damage, she repurchased it and sold it to me). I have mostly used synthetic oil (used syth blends once in a while) and the only thing I've had to do was move up to 89 octane gas since it runs a lot smoother on it and gets better mileage so it offsets the cost. The only thing I've had to fix on it was a wheel bearing that was improperly changed before I bought it.

Other than that its been great (other than running into deer that has put some more dents and bends into it) and I haven't been able to kill it. It holds oil fairly well and only burns 1/2 quart every 1,500 to 2,000 miles. That didn't start until about 170k and certain synthetics burn off worse than others. My car doesn't seem to like Mobil 1 too much, but holds onto Amsoil a lot better. It's due for a timing belt change so I don't know if I should just have the water pump changed at the same time or not.

Bikeman982

My 1995 Corolla has 199,700 miles on it. I bought it when it had 120k (a little old lady owned it and it got totalled by insurance for hail damage, she repurchased it and sold it to me). I have mostly used synthetic oil (used syth blends once in a while) and the only thing I've had to do was move up to 89 octane gas since it runs a lot smoother on it and gets better mileage so it offsets the cost. The only thing I've had to fix on it was a wheel bearing that was improperly changed before I bought it.

Other than that its been great (other than running into deer that has put some more dents and bends into it) and I haven't been able to kill it. It holds oil fairly well and only burns 1/2 quart every 1,500 to 2,000 miles. That didn't start until about 170k and certain synthetics burn off worse than others. My car doesn't seem to like Mobil 1 too much, but holds onto Amsoil a lot better. It's due for a timing belt change so I don't know if I should just have the water pump changed at the same time or not.

I have a 1995 Corolla as a project car. It is currently in my garage as I am changing the transaxle.

The car has 232,000 miles on it and I may change the engine if it does not run good.

The rest of the car is fairly decent. How long have you had your car to put on those extra 79,700 miles?

I have a 1995 Corolla as a project car. It is currently in my garage as I am changing the transaxle.

The car has 232,000 miles on it and I may change the engine if it does not run good.

The rest of the car is fairly decent. How long have you had your car to put on those extra 79,700 miles?

I've had this car about 4 years. Unfortunately my wife ruined our other car in an accident, so I may have to buy another corolla soon.

Topic List