Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Wheel Shopping

by Cyberbilly, November 10, 2007

I immediately thought "Mexican" i.e. poor taste.

Wrong color for that car. Bronze wheels look better on a white, black, or tan vehicle.

Also I don't like thin spokes.

Other than that, they look awesome! default_wink

I immediately thought "Mexican" i.e. poor taste.Wrong color for that car. Bronze wheels look better on a white, black, or tan vehicle.

Also I don't like thin spokes.

Other than that, they look awesome! default_wink

Actually, my car is burgundy; not red. But red was the closest color the simulator had. And the wheels are (supposedly) gold rather than bronze.

For a Corolla, I would suggest getting them in silver. That's about the only wheel color that looks good on a Corolla. I especially hate when I see chrome wheels on Corollas. I also would suggest not getting them that oversized. I don't know if that's 16" or 17", but I would say 15" is about the biggest to go on an 8th gen before it starts looking like a rice burner.

Colors of the wheels and car aside, i like it dude.

I wouldn't go that big. They will look very silly with the rear drum brakes. I have 16s and I wouldn't go any bigger for a Corolla. It's your car, but really, anything more is just silly, ricey, overkill. Not to mention, it might actually slow you down a little.

For a Corolla, I would suggest getting them in silver. That's about the only wheel color that looks good on a Corolla. I especially hate when I see chrome wheels on Corollas. I also would suggest not getting them that oversized. I don't know if that's 16" or 17", but I would say 15" is about the biggest to go on an 8th gen before it starts looking like a rice burner.

I'm looking at 17" wheels. And as for the ricer thing, I have long-range plans for this car to make it a serious competitor.

Not bad - Konig makes some decent wheels. Depending on what direction you are going, might influence future wheel choices (size, weight, bolt pattern, make, offset, etc.) - so keep that in mind as you start looking for wheel. Don't want to sink in hundreds of dollars into wheels, when in a few months you are looking at new wheels (spoken from experience default_ohmy)

I'm looking at 17" wheels. And as for the ricer thing, I have long-range plans for this car to make it a serious competitor.

Competitive against what? I'd hate to think how much money it would cost to run with a stock SRT-4. Even if you could up the power, you wouldn't have a helical lsd.

Unless you just like building up cars just to say that you can and don't care how much money it cost even if you never get it back, then I would pick a better car to mod.

Unless you just like building up cars just to say that you can and don't care how much money it cost even if you never get it back, then I would pick a better car to mod.

Yeah, that's about 99% of it right there. I'm not out to prove anything or show anyone what a hot $hit car I have. I just like taking a car - any car - and trying to make it go faster. I've been modding cars off and on for 30 years.

Sure, I could have bought an Evo, but why? Everbody has tricked an Evo. But you don't see many tricked Corollas. That's what I see as a challenge. default_laugh

P.S. It is getting new Tien springs and KYB Shocks tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Yeah, that's about 99% of it right there. I'm not out to prove anything or show anyone what a hot $hit car I have. I just like taking a car - any car - and trying to make it go faster. I've been modding cars off and on for 30 years.

Sure, I could have bought an Evo, but why? Everbody has tricked an Evo. But you don't see many tricked Corollas. That's what I see as a challenge. default_laugh

P.S. It is getting new Tien springs and KYB Shocks tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Well, not everyone has a tricked out EVO. The nice thing about the STi's and EVO's is, they already have a nice turbo and IC stock. They don't really need to be modded. I personally rather take a rust free stock DSM and fix it up cause the clutch on a newer car is still going to be a weak point. I rather just send the trans off and get rebuilt. The STi seems to have a stronger drive train then the EVO, so with a STi, it would probably just need a upgraded clutch.

I understand where you are coming from and wanting to fix up a car. Before you sink too much money in to it tho, you might want to compare the after market support for your Rolla to a Civic, DSM, Subie, SRT-4 etc. Rolla's seem to have very little support. You can do brakes and suspension, but very little power adders are around.

Well its your car, so you can do what you want with it. I'm just making the suggestion that 17" gold konig rims are going to both impractical from a performance approach and quite odd from an appearance approach.

Performance wise, increasing the size of your wheels almost always hurts your car's performance because of the way rotational inertia works. The weight at the furthest point from center (i.e. the tires) most affects the ability for your car to both start and stop. The problem with 17" rims is that they require ultra low profile tires, which have almost no barrier between the wheel and the contact surface so the tires have to be specially constructed to withstand more abuse. Even if the tires are the same diameter and width, the low profile tires will weigh more and increase the inertia/resistance your car has to overcome when both accelerating and decelerating. An example would be the Yokohama Avid T4 tires. They are offered in both 195/60R14 and 195/55R15. Both tires have the same width and about the same diameter, but the 15" tires weigh 20 lbs while the 14" tires weigh 17 lbs. Most 205/40R17 tires are going to weigh even more than 20 lbs. That extra weight rotating at the edge is a lot of force your car has to overcome as your speed increases. Its just as much a disadvantage when your braking and trying to stop all that force.

Appearance wise, an please don't take offense to this, but its definately going to look strange seeing a middle-aged man driving a Corolla with 17" gold konig rims and whatever other mods you are looking to add. About the only people I see who heavily mod the exterior of their cars are Fast and the Furious wannabes and posers from my job who work on the docks unloading trucks. One guy has a 95 Accord that has 18" black rims with one of those obnoxious spoilers and all sorts of labels like Xpoid and Audiobahn on his car, as well as 100% tinted windows. In my opinion, it just looks silly. Even if he gave that clown car some muscle, I still would find it silly. Now I would be more impressed if the car looked completely stock, but had muscle (aka, a sleeper).

Appearance wise, and please don't take offense to this, but its definately going to look strange seeing a middle-aged man driving a Corolla with 17" gold konig rims and whatever other mods you are looking to add.

Please don't take offense to this, but when you get to be my age, you will appreciate how absurd that statement is. But I'll let you off easy this time. default_tongue

About the only people I see who heavily mod the exterior of their cars are Fast and the Furious wannabes and posers from my job who work on the docks unloading trucks. One guy has a 95 Accord that has 18" black rims with one of those obnoxious spoilers and all sorts of labels like Xpoid and Audiobahn on his car, as well as 100% tinted windows. In my opinion, it just looks silly. Even if he gave that clown car some muscle, I still would find it silly. Now I would be more impressed if the car looked completely stock, but had muscle (aka, a sleeper).

Believe me, the last thing I want is a car that is all show and no go. I'll tell you what I'm NOT going to do. I am not doing a full body kit, I am not adding a wing (the factory spoiler is just fine, thank you), I will not put on a fart can muffler, and I will not put on a bunch of decals for equipment I do not have.

I put on new KYB Shocks and Tein Springs this morning, and I already can tell a difference in the handling. I will put on new wheels and tires, but 17-inchers, like you suggest, might be a bit much. I found a TRD Cat-back exhaust system that I will probably get (Since it will need a new exhaust system soon anyhow) and I have not given up on turbo/super charging though I will probably have to have it professionally fabricated. (Yes, I can afford it).

Here is a picture of my truck:

https://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/Cy...t=Dscf0935b.jpg

You can see it has been modded, but not overkilled. I've received many complements on it, I have plenty of street cred when I go to Toyota truck meets, and the guys at the Carlisle All-Truck Nationals last August liked it enough to award it first price in its division.

I plan on doing similar things with my 'Rolla.

https://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/MS...07/100_1913.jpg

I got these Enkai wheels from America's Tire for 53 bucks each. They are silver with a grey center. I agree that 'bronze' look is a bit to much no matter what the color of the car is.

I dont know, i would say just to do what makes you happy, i love my rolla. I got it for 40 mpg though, but honestly, its a great car, and i hate to have anything that looks or sounds likes all the other cookie cutter models. You have to do to your ride what makes "you" feel good about it when you drive. Isnt that what car customizing is all about, I bet people that fix up the old VW bugs must get all kinds of crap default_smile any way, more power to you Cyber, i am with ya 100%

fully agree imwl; I don't think there is anyone out there who modifies a car expects to financially gain out of it. It is all about the passion. What good is a few grand in the bank that you can spare if it isn't making you happy? Modifying a car, in terms of money spent is of equal value to new furniture and is better value than going on an overseas vacation. I spent $4k on a 2 week NZ holiday. But now 4 years later I might remember only 10 things about it, I need to go through my photos. Has it enriched my life since? Probably not $4500 worth. I could have saved it and bought a $4500 better corolla back in '05 - could've got the ultima with ABS, foglights and side airbags.....

Topic List