Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tranny Fluid Change

by HoustonHelix, October 11, 2007

Here's your stupid question of the week.

I have 120K miles on my 2004 and I have never changed transmission fluid. As a matter of fact, I have never EVER changed transmission fluid on any of my cars.

Now is this as simple as draining and refilling the fluid like you would engine oil? Now what's this transmission flush I hear about? Is that necessary? How about the filters?

RON

Ron,

There's been lots of previous discussion on this topic. You can start with this link but you would probably be ok with drain and refill for the next couple of oil changes. The older cars have a drain plug....can't speak to the 2004 though.

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=fluid+flush

Good luck,

Jay in MA

I have 120K miles on my 2004 and I have never changed transmission fluid. As a matter of fact, I have never EVER changed transmission fluid on any of my cars.

Now is this as simple as draining and refilling the fluid like you would engine oil? Now what's this transmission flush I hear about? Is that necessary? How about the filters?

RON

Bikeman982

RON

Very similar to an oil change, except the drain plug is usually an internal hex socket.

The fill is through the dipstick tube.

A flush is done with a machine and is more in depth than a drain and refill.

There is a filter inside the tranny and is accessed by taking off the botom cover.

It is not always necessary to be changed, unless you find a lot of particles on the magnets on the bottom of the pan.

There have been other threads about this on this forum.

Ron, i am assuming you have an automatic tranny?

Bikeman982

Maybe Ron doesn't know if his car is automatic or not?

Topic List