Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Sparking Noise On Startup

by Access-Denied, October 12, 2004

Access-Denied (+1)

96 Geo Prizm. 130k miles.

Got in to start my car, and as it was cracking. There was what sounded like an arching/sparking noise. Don't know what better way to explain what it sounded like. Once the car started up, the noise went away. And seem to run just fine.

I threw new plugs/wires in it about 2 weeks ago, but havne't had any problems with them.

Any ideas what's going on. At first I thought maybe the starter. but had the starter replaced about 1 1/2 years ago.

It's hard to tell without seeing it or hearing it, and it would have to be able to be duplicated by starting the car again and again to determine the cause. What could be suspected as an electrical fault could be something entirely different.

Look at simple, cheap and obvious things first. I'd start with the battery cables, your positive one could be arcing against something. Try this after dusk, so any sparks/arcs would be easily seen.

Access-Denied (+1)

Yeah I started the car a few times. And heard it the few times I started the car. Haven't really had a chance to do much more then that.

Was it damp outside? The spark plug wires could be loose or brittle?

Access-Denied (+1)

No, it wasn't. Sometimes the noise is worse then other times starting up. Still trying to figure out if there is any sort of pattern to it.

friendly_jacek

So, did you check for sparks in the dark?

Access-Denied (+1)

I have not. I'm starting to think it's the starter. The few times this afternoon that I have restarted the car. No problems. -shrugs- I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Topic List