Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Good Deal On A 2007?

by Bikeman982, August 23, 2007

Bikeman982

I saw a 2007 Corolla with only 570 miles for $14,000. It is a DX. Is that a good deal?

The person who bought it made two months payment, then decided to sell it.

I know it goes for a lot more at a dealership, but they have a warranty.

This practically brand-new car is being sold privately and may not have a warranty.

Does it sound like a car I should get??

Toyota doesn't sell a DX. Do you mean CE? I don't think it's that great of a deal. Corolla's went up in price. I don't understand why, but I thought it was a bad decision on Toyota's part.

We got our 05 LE out the door for 14K in 05.

Just beware, the power train warranty doesn't carry over to the 2nd owner. You only get the bumper to bumper warranty.

I don't think it's that great of a deal, and with Toyota raising prices on such a basic car, I'd look at a Hyundai if you have 14K to spend on a car. With a $1000 rebate, and not paying sticker price, you could get a brand new Elantra. Maybe even a SE if you can afford taxes.

Bikeman982

Toyota doesn't sell a DX. Do you mean CE? I don't think it's that great of a deal. Corolla's went up in price. I don't understand why, but I thought it was a bad decision on Toyota's part.

We got our 05 LE out the door for 14K in 05.

Just beware, the power train warranty doesn't carry over to the 2nd owner. You only get the bumper to bumper warranty.

I don't think it's that great of a deal, and with Toyota raising prices on such a basic car, I'd look at a Hyundai if you have 14K to spend on a car. With a $1000 rebate, and not paying sticker price, you could get a brand new Elantra. Maybe even a SE if you can afford taxes.

I will check it out again to see if it is a CE.

The bumper to bumper warranty sounds good for a second owner.

I think $14,000 is lower than the KBB price. I can probably talk them down to $13,000.

I will also check to see what options it has. It is a beautiful dark blue color.

Things come to my mind:

1. Flood

2. Theft recovery

3. Wreck

4. You are dealing with a thief and a stolen car

5. Lien will not be paid off when you buy it

I'd be very careful here. There was a rebate on CE's. You might get a new one for the same price or close.

Bikeman982

Things come to my mind:

1. Flood

2. Theft recovery

3. Wreck

4. You are dealing with a thief and a stolen car

5. Lien will not be paid off when you buy it

I'd be very careful here. There was a rebate on CE's. You might get a new one for the same price or close.

Numbers 1-4 not likely. Number 5 probably not true.

Seller price is for balance of lien. It will be paid off.

Sounds good.

Dont forget to run a carfax.... (not that it really tells you anythng... but...)

tdk.

Bikeman982

I heard an ad. on the radio for brand new cars for the same price, so it does not seem like such a good deal now.

I still have not been back to check it out - for all I know it has been sold. Maybe tomorrow?

I heard an ad. on the radio for brand new cars for the same price, so it does not seem like such a good deal now.I still have not been back to check it out - for all I know it has been sold. Maybe tomorrow?

I thought you are our resident gen 7 devotee before your daughter got her 04? Now you're looking at gen 9s. You're stepping up or "moving on"? default_laugh

No worries, there's always the "next car."

Bikeman982

I heard an ad. on the radio for brand new cars for the same price, so it does not seem like such a good deal now.I still have not been back to check it out - for all I know it has been sold. Maybe tomorrow?

I thought you are our resident gen 7 devotee before your daughter got her 04? Now you're looking at gen 9s. You're stepping up or "moving on"? default_laugh

No worries, there's always the "next car."

I still like the looks of the 7th generation, but eventually I have to get "with the times".

After all I can't let my daughter outdo me!

Bikeman982

I went back to the car tonight and saw that it was a CE.

The sale sign said $14,000 or take over payments of $138.99 with 58 months left.

That does not sound right to me. $138.99 X 58 = $8,061.42. That is not $14,000.

Is there like a final big payment that has to be made on new car loans?

I would gladly buy the car, if I could get it for $8,061.42.

I will give the owner a call tomorrow to get more detail.

• 1,424 posts
I went back to the car tonight and saw that it was a CE.The sale sign said $14,000 or take over payments of $138.99 with 58 months left.

That either means one of two things:

1) Is that they made a huge down payment on the car.

2) Is that they did some creative financing like smart buy where you pay a small payment for 4-6 years and then owe a large lump sum at the end of the low payments.

I'm guessing that 1 is the more likely scenario.

the99contour's situation 1 is much more likely, but you better double check that math with the buyer.

Situation 2 is known as a balloon payment, and you may want to simply ask the seller if it is one.

Make sure you get why said person is selling it. Expect a lie, but it's worth seeing what they say.

Situation 2 is known as a balloon payment, and you may want to simply ask the seller if it is one.

Otherwise known as "residual / buyback value" in our neck of the woods.

My money default_biggrin is on this scenario.

• 1,424 posts

Otherwise known as "residual / buyback value" in our neck of the woods.

My money default_biggrin is on this scenario.

And if that is the case, the seller was stupid to finance it that way unless they were in one of two very specific situations.

In scenario 1 the seller currently has a low paying job and can't afford high payments now but will get several raises in the next 3 to 5 years that will allow them to take on a higher car payment. However, if they do that they will take 10 years to pay for the car, not very smart.

In scenario 2 the buyer was wealthy and they saw a greater benefit in keeping their money in the bank and earning interest on it. My question is this: If you had that much money, why would you be buying a Corolla and not something a little nicer like a Camry.

Bikeman982

I went back to the car tonight and saw that it was a CE.The sale sign said $14,000 or take over payments of $138.99 with 58 months left.

That either means one of two things:

1) Is that they made a huge down payment on the car.

2) Is that they did some creative financing like smart buy where you pay a small payment for 4-6 years and then owe a large lump sum at the end of the low payments.

I'm guessing that 1 is the more likely scenario.

Then taking over payments would definitely be the cheaper option for the buyer.

If it were me, I would pay it off with cash, and not have to worry about the payments.

That sounds like the $138.99 a month for payments - if it really is true would be cheaper.

Is there penalties for early payoff? I guess I will call the seller to get the details.

Check newspaper ads on Friday and usually see a corolla here and there as a loss leader for $12888 base or $13888 with some "power" assessories. $14000 for a used is not really a "good" deal. I suspect it is a good starting point for bargaining. I would offer $12000 the most and see how the sales react.

Bikeman982

Check newspaper ads on Friday and usually see a corolla here and there as a loss leader for $12888 base or $13888 with some "power" assessories. $14000 for a used is not really a "good" deal. I suspect it is a good starting point for bargaining. I would offer $12000 the most and see how the sales react.
I am going to see if "take over payments of $138.99 for 58 payments" is really true!

Bikeman982

It turns out that the previous owner paid $15,630 two months ago and put some cash down and financed the rest.

Now they are trying to sell it for $14,000 or take over payments of $138.99 for 58 months (plus $6300).

Either way, they won't get what they want, since someone could get a new car from a dealer with all the warranties, etc. for the same or less money. I am passing up this sale and keeping my (paid for) 7th generation Corolla.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)