Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

P0441 1999 Corolla

Guest only2shop

Hello COROLLAND members, i m new to site.

I have 1999 toyota corolla. For few days my CEL lit up. Went to mechanic, and told me the code p0441 and said EVAP system flow is low. At the same time canister was loose and he fix that. Gas cap is tight. He decoded but afte 2-3 days CEL lit up again. Tried to see if canister is loose, but it wasnt.

What should i do?

Do I have to fix it, how urgent?

How much it will cost me?

Anything that I can buy from store and give to mechanic?

Any one know the good and cheap mechanic in baltimore, maryland area?

Thanks for your advise. I really appreciate it.

If you do a search o nthe forum - you'll see that many of these EVAP codes generally do not effect the drivability of the vehicle. Not a big problem unless your area does some sort of emissions/safety checking - in which case, the vehicle will like not pass that inspection.

Chances are - this issue is from a faulty VSV valve running to the vapor canister, those valves run about $60. Sometimes you'll get the code when the weather changes quite a bit - like all that hot weather we got in the DC Metro area recently. Problem is compounded if you fill the tank too full - let the pump click off, don't top off or try and round up the bill - as it will flood the vapor canister will liquid gas, ruining the activated charcoal inside, Then you have a $260 paperweight on your hands.

If you do a search o nthe forum - you'll see that many of these EVAP codes generally do not effect the drivability of the vehicle. Not a big problem unless your area does some sort of emissions/safety checking - in which case, the vehicle will like not pass that inspection.

This is a common enough issue that perhaps an article about it should be added to the main www.corolland.com website. I still haven't gotten around to fixing mine. I periodically check to make sure there isn't a new code popping up, then clear it.

jim

well, I've been having that problem for about a month... on my 98 corolla with 97k miles. And I have been reading articles on the net like crazy, espacially Corolland, God bless all of you who contributed in helping default_laugh

first it was p0441 with p0446 togather, rececntly it was just p0441, so here is what I have done:

I went to the Toyota dealer two days ago and bought the fuel component : Charcoal canister. It cost me $260 dollars and this part had the canister as well as the VSV and Presure senser with pipes and things all set up nicely. FishExpo has some nice Images, THanks Fish

First I was thinking that I'll let my Mechnic take care of it but when I talked to him, I wasn't really satisfied with his answer. he said that it could be any of emmission components and we just have to replace parts 1 by 1 and see. he also scared me with his $75 per hour charge. He wanted me to get the Canister So I decided to see what I am dealing with and took a look under the car, seemed very dirty but I sunk my hand in that MUD.

I just finsih working on my car this evening so I've replaced it sucessfully; taking me about 2 days, maybe 8-10 hours. and this was becuase I have never been under the car and never knew how fuel system works... untill now

BUT, this might not be the end of the line, there could be other things that could go wrong. the only change I saw today is my cars Enigne making less noise now . I just have to wait and see...

guys, am I on the right track???

Hello COROLLAND members, i m new to site.I have 1999 toyota corolla. For few days my CEL lit up. Went to mechanic, and told me the code p0441 and said EVAP system flow is low. At the same time canister was loose and he fix that. Gas cap is tight. He decoded but afte 2-3 days CEL lit up again. Tried to see if canister is loose, but it wasnt.

What should i do?

Do I have to fix it, how urgent?

How much it will cost me?

Anything that I can buy from store and give to mechanic?

Any one know the good and cheap mechanic in baltimore, maryland area?

Thanks for your advise. I really appreciate it.

-It isn't that urgent problem, the only thing it will hurt is you gas milage. If you have emmission check in your state, it might cause a problem

-the cost and parts depends on the problem, it might be a leaking hose, it might be the charcoal canister, it might be the fuel tank OR (my personal favorite) it might be the GAS CAP

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)