Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Gps

By muzak, July 1, 2007

I wish I would have used one of the three tripmeters on my Corolla for each time we've got lost on one of our trips. I'm sure it would be up into triple figures by now as I usually count on spotting satellite dishes to see which direction I'm going. I finally bit the bullet and bought a "Garmin 660" the other day and tried it out yesterday and couldn't get lost on purpose.

The only problem I ran into was that, even though updating my software, I came across a diversion that was put into place two years ago that the gps told me to go through.

Anyone else think that gps's are worth it?

ps: I didn't put those clickable blue names there (satellite and garmin 660) as they just came up automatically for some reason. Both of those names redirected me to some other link and it wasn't my intention.

Well, my wife and I just moved to a rather large city and I am about to buy her one so that she will quite getting lost....

• 1,424 posts

FYI those blue hyperlinks are automatically generated when the board sees certain words in your post. It is a way for us to generate some revenue to help pay for this forum. We instituted it in June.

As for GPS. I believe GPS is worth the money if you are a business traveler or someone who often drives to unfamiliar places when going on vacation. Often times if traveling alone on business or with children on a vacation you can not safely read a map and drive at the same time, since GPS gives voice guidance, it eliminates the distraction of reading a map. Also, GPS has the distinct advantage of being able to automatically re-route you if you miss a turn. Miss a turn using a map and you are SOL until you can pull over and figure out where you are and how to get to where you need to be. Probably the best feature GPS has is the POI or points of interest. Being able to locate a ATM, hospital or restaurant is really handy, and it is something most maps won't do.

Will I ever have a GPS? Probably not. For one, I can think of better ways to spend my money. For two, I have an impeccable sense of direction and a photographic memory. Last year I made a 700 mile trip that required me to drive on 4 different interstates plus make 20 some different exits. I looked at my mapquest directions for 10 minutes before I left the house and didn't have to look at them again. I arrived at my destination with no deviation from the mapquest directions. On the way back I didn't have mapquest directions, but I knew I needed to to northeast to get back home, so without directions and without a map, but with my car's compass, I managed to get home going a different route than the one I took to get to my destination.

If I do end up traveling for business at some point, I might change my mind, but for now, I'll stick to my sense of direction and mapquest.

Ok, I used mine yesterday and it took me to Port Dover without getting lost and got me home in a short time, even though I've never used the route before. This thing is the cat's meow! I think it compares to calculators, where one can get an answer without being able to add 2+2 together in their heads.

Example, just go to any fast food place and show them your $5.00 bill, but then hand them the exact coinage and see how long it takes them to figure it out.

Example, just go to any fast food place and show them your $5.00 bill, but then hand them the exact coinage and see how long it takes them to figure it out.
HaHa....

I was in a fast food restaurant the other day and ordered something that was $2.09. On the counter I placed two dollar bills, a dime and four pennies. The lady slid the pennies back to me and said that I gave her too much. I slid them back and asked her to give me a nickel back in change...

Some folks... default_blink

• 1,424 posts
I was in a fast food restaurant the other day and ordered something that was $2.09. On the counter I placed two dollar bills, a dime and four pennies. The lady slid the pennies back to me and said that I gave her too much. I slid them back and asked her to give me a nickel back in change...

Some folks... default_blink

And then you have difficult customers like one I had last week.

She brought in 3 items to exchange, which cost $37.94.

She went and got other items totaling more than $150 dollars. When I credited her account for the items she was exchanging, the total bill was well over a hundred dollars. She immediately said in a rather unkind voice that I had made a mistake and stated that her exchange items were at least $50.00, so there was no way that the bill could be over a hundred dollars.

I'm a mechanical engineering major with an outstanding GPA, I've passed Calc I, II and III with flying colors, as well as Statistics, Discrete Mathematics and Differential Equations. I never use the register to tell me what change to give back and I've never had my drawer ring up over or under by one red cent. By my math, her credit should have been $37.94. She disagreed, continuing to insist that she should have a $50 credit.

I wasn't in the mood to put up with this woman. I politely informed her that she was incorrect and that her bill was indeed over one hundred dollars. She still would not believe me, so I pulled out a calculator and did the math for her. Even after that she was rather nasty with me, insisting that since I was screwing her on her return that I give her a 15% discount. Even though that is against the rules since technically the exchange made it a past purchase, I did it. She paid and left the store.

Not two minutes later she came back in saying that I had made a mistake on her order. She said that I charged her too much for an item. I said "show me". She promptly pulled out the receipt and showed me where I had charged her $17.99 for an item that was supposed to be $13.99. Directly under where it said $17.99 it said DISCOUNT $6.10. I said to her, ma'am, I charged you $13.99 for the item and gave you a 15% discount. She informed me that I was wrong in that same nasty voice that she had used earlier. I was not going to argue with her. I took the receipt to the manager, who looked at it and said I had indeed given her the correct price and discount. I went back and explained to her that there was nothing wrong with her order. She then informed me that the $11.89 she was charged for the item was not 15% off of $13.99, but 15% off of $17.99.

Of course, it isn't, $11.89 is 15% off of $13.99. The reason the price said $17.99 on the receipt with a discount of $6.10 was because our receipts always print the original price of the item before it was adjusted and then list price adjustments as discounts, any other discount you give on the item is based on the adjusted price, but the register combines the discounts so we don't have to print really long receipts. Lets do some math here. $17.99 minus the $4.00 it takes to adjust the price to $13.99 plus 15% of $13.99 or $2.10 is $6.10, $17.99-$6.10 is $11.89, which is exactly the price I charged her for the item.

When I presented this to her, it was obvious that she didn't understand what I was saying. When I offered to get the manager to explain it to her she again got nasty with me. So you know what I did, I said, "fine ma'am, I'll give it to you for $13.99, but if I have to redo this entire transaction, I'm not giving you any discount whatsoever."

At that point she turned around and walked out.

I have never been more glad to see a customer walk out the door. That woman was stupid, rude and wasted not only my time, but every other customer in the stores time. Had I made a mistake, I would have gladly corrected it. I'm a good employee and consistently get high marks on customer service. I have never lost it with a customer before, and a customer has to push me pretty hard to make me even start to lose my patience with them, but I was about to with this one.

Moral of the story: Don't think just because someone works retail that they like being treated like snip. Treating the person behind the counter with some civility and respect goes a long way. If you treat us kindly, we will go out of our way to help you. If you treat us like this woman did, you WILL NOT get good treatment.

Differential Equations
This class was the turning point in my education (Masters in Physics with minors in Mathematics and Astronomy)

Maxwell's Equations and radioacitve decay equations meant nothing to me until this class. It was so meaningful, that I went back to my alma mater and spoke with my old advisor and asked him to recommend this class to everyone.

BTW, in the story I listed above, I did not treat the woman badly or mock her in any way (well, at least not to her face). I have been the store clerk behind the counter (gas station clerk all through college).

GPS are worth every penny in my opinion. My wife tends not to be very good in directions and it helps keep her from getting lost. In fact it does the same for me even though I can easily orient myself directional wise. It works wonders when we plan a long trip or going to places we usually do not. Driving along somewhere and want a bite to eat but unfamilar with restaurants nearby? Been in a store and have them check availability of something you want in another location much farther? Traveling and need to know where a nearby gas station, hospital, store, hotel is? All much more easily done with a GPS than without one. Whether it's in a nearby city, half a state away, two states away, we always find uses for it.

BTW, we have the Garmin 360. I have run into situations where something may have moved or missing or wrong location. I just go online and enter the info so they can look into updating it for the future map version. Anything I've entered in the GPS is either saved as Favorite or in the recent address list, which is multiple pages and I can easily go and find it again if need to. The GPS best works if you are not familiar with the area, it often WILL not be smarter than you in picking shortcuts or paths so don't compare it with your brain in driving say back and forth to/from work, etc.

• 1,424 posts
BTW, in the story I listed above, I did not treat the woman badly or mock her in any way (well, at least not to her face). I have been the store clerk behind the counter (gas station clerk all through college).

I wasn't implying that you were mean to the woman. I was simply stating for those who have never worked in retail that it isn't an easy job, especially if you have difficult and rude customers.

Since you've worked retail, I assume you can attest to the fact that pleasant customers are treated better than mean ones.

For sure. I remember a guy that came into our store who wanted to buy beer with a paper temporary license. When he started yelling at me, I threw him out of the store...

Getting back to the GPS,

(btw, Contour, your story about the stupid customer is hilarious!!)

I swear by mine. The s/w is getting a little old, but for the most part, it works great.

I took a trip recently. Took 2 really CRAPPY maps. One only had I-, US, and State roads. the other was a really crappy copy of a map found in a tour guide book.

We knew where we wanted to go, but no detailed directions.

Used the Nav to let us know where we are now, and by zooming in and out on the map, able to figure out when to turn, and possible other routes (rather than just entering the address, we wanted to be a littile "adventourous").

Also, needed to go to a hospital to visit a friend. They told me the hospital over the phone, but no address. Entered the hospital name, and was able to get directions without leaving my car.

tdk

Bikeman982

I don't have GPS, but it sounds like a computer. I usually go to MapQuest to get directions before I go someplace new.

GPS is like a computer in your car. I can't afford one, but maybe someday...

I predict they will become standard equipment in future cars.

I don't have GPS, but it sounds like a computer. I usually go to MapQuest to get directions before I go someplace new.GPS is like a computer in your car. I can't afford one, but maybe someday...

I used to use Mapquest until the day last year when we followed the route to Oakville Ont. and we found out it had our destination into Lake Ontario. I think Google Earth is a good program. As for the GPS, I have a Garmin and for some reason it does not want me to take the pay highway 407 through Toronto. I figure that maybe people would get mad and think that it's forcing them to go onto a pay highway, even though it is quicker.

Bikeman982

I don't have GPS, but it sounds like a computer. I usually go to MapQuest to get directions before I go someplace new.GPS is like a computer in your car. I can't afford one, but maybe someday...

I used to use Mapquest until the day last year when we followed the route to Oakville Ont. and we found out it had our destination into Lake Ontario. I think Google Earth is a good program. As for the GPS, I have a Garmin and for some reason it does not want me to take the pay highway 407 through Toronto. I figure that maybe people would get mad and think that it's forcing them to go onto a pay highway, even though it is quicker.

There are different ways to get places - some the most direct, some the most scenic, and some that are not physically possible.

There is usually a disclaimer saying that you should verify before totally believing.

I have a good internal sense of direction and can usually tell which direction I am going.

I have a very hard time getting lost.

Ocassionally I do take a wrong turn, but inevitabally get back on the right track.

Muzak,

Not sure about Garmin, but on a lot of Navi systems you can choose whether to accept toll roads or not. You may have it set so that it avoids toll roads.

Bike,

Yup, a $300-5000 piece of electronic wizardy.

btw, i found that the navi on my cell phone works pretty good too - just enabled it last week. still need to put it through the tests.

next week, I test a tomtom for 10days. hope i can finda way to screw it up! (company is doing some r&d stuff... and i volunteered - hey, its free gas for the long weekend!!)

tdk.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else