Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest Michael G.

07 Corolla-s Stalled Took Awhile To Restart

Guest Michael G.

Guest Michael G.

I just bought an 07 Corolla-S last night, I stalled it a few times later that evening, I noticed a couple of times when it stalled out I had to hold the clutch in and the ignition for what seemed like 10 seconds before the starter kicked in...Wtf? I was stuck at an intersection freaking out. Is this normal if so why would they prevent you from restarting from a stall. Should I take it back today and have them look at it?

Still under warranty - I'd take it back. Might be a function of DBW or ECM getting confused. Could also be the clutch switch needs to be adjusted - could be making intermittent contact. A car will take some finite time to restart after stalling out - but 10 seconds is extreme.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but are you sure you had the clutch pedal FULLY depressed to the floor? I thought I was having starter issues with my '03 CE, until I realized I didn't have the clutch fully engaged. Even a millimeter off the floor will engage the clutch safety switch.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but are you sure you had the clutch pedal FULLY depressed to the floor? I thought I was having starter issues with my '03 CE, until I realized I didn't have the clutch fully engaged. Even a millimeter off the floor will engage the clutch safety switch.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I haven't driven a standard in 20 years! default_ohmy What is this "Clutch Safety Switch"? I don't remember this from the car I drove for 5 years back in the '80s. Should my next car be a manual transmission (and I'm seriously considering), this may be on my "need to know" list!

Thanks!

• 1,424 posts
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I haven't driven a standard in 20 years! default_ohmy What is this "Clutch Safety Switch"? I don't remember this from the car I drove for 5 years back in the '80s. Should my next car be a manual transmission (and I'm seriously considering), this may be on my "need to know" list!

Thanks!

The clutch safety switch is the equivalent of the feature on an automatic transmission car that only lets it start when the car is in park or neutral.

Basically it is a switch mounted in such a way that it is only tripped when your clutch is fully depressed. Unless the switch is engaged, the car will not start.

In essence it keeps you from starting the car without having the clutch in, therefore keeping the car from jumping and hurting someone or damaging property.

Your car has one, as it has been a federal motor vehicle safety standard mandate since 1995.

Thanks!

The clutch safety switch is the equivalent of the feature on an automatic transmission car that only lets it start when the car is in park or neutral.

Basically it is a switch mounted in such a way that it is only tripped when your clutch is fully depressed. Unless the switch is engaged, the car will not start.

In essence it keeps you from starting the car without having the clutch in, therefore keeping the car from jumping and hurting someone or damaging property.

Your car has one, as it has been a federal motor vehicle safety standard mandate since 1995.

Ah, thanks, 99! My current car doesn't have this then, as it's automatic, but my '82 LN7 5-spd apparently didn't! default_wink This is definitely a "need to know" item!

Topic List