Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Harsh Engine Vibration In Car Is Put In Reverse

by scottiejinla, October 4, 2004

I have a 94 LE.

When I first start the car in the mornings or after it has sit for a long time, and I put the car in reverse, the car vibrates rather harshly and also makes a loud vibrating noise. This started a few months ago and has become progressive worse. Although, after the car has been operating awhile, and I put it in reverse, it is as smoothe as the day I bought it. I have noticed a similar, although less harsh, vibration at idle, if I put the car in neutral. I'm used to this car running so smooth you don't even know it is on.

About two years ago, the dealership told me that an engine mount looked like it stared to leak its fluid. I'm guessing this is the cause, but would like your input as well.

Thanks!

Mine (96 dx) has the same harsh trans engagement (forward, not reverse) when the engine is cold. I noticed that when the car was still under warranty. This seems to have gotten worse as the car ages. I had talk to someone in the local toyota dealer long time ago about this harsh engagement and was told it was just normal. But I am not sure about that simply because I have never seen other cars engage as harsh as my corolla dose.

Other than the cold harsh engagement, my corolla runs perfectly.

We have a 2003 LE and it starts with a very high idle on anything but hot days. This makes the transmission engage roughly.

When the engine warms, the idle drops, and engagement is smooth.

Toyota and an independent trans mechanic say this is not unusual for Corollas.

What I don't understand is that why corolla has this harsh cold-engine engagement problem (i think it is a problem)? but not so common for other cars? All cold engines start with high idle for fast warm up, so I am not sure high idle can explain this. Any other idea?

Most of it, IMO, comes from the design of the transmission. More than a few imports seem to have very little overlap between gears - the amont of time spent switching from one gear to another. Advantage of this is better fuel economy and quicker shifts - more suited to these smaller displacement engines. Disadvantage - most of the smoothness will only occur when the engine is up to temp - since the only way to smooth out the shift is to retard the engine slightly between shifts. When cold - the engine emissions are given priority and shift feel suffers (harse shift until engine warms up).

If harsh engagement happens on a regular basis, it will certainly reduce the trans life, true?

Sorry guys, but I may have mispoke (or mistyped) myself.

The transmission does not engage harshly at all, even at a fast idle.

After I shift the car is shifted into reverse and the transmission engages is when the harsh vibration starts. I just noticed this morning it is even louder and vibrates more if I give it gas while in reverse.

Thanks.

Does the vibration seem to be dependent on engine speed? More RPMs - frequency of vibration or harshness goes up?

Chances are - the dealership's conclusion of a worn motor mount may be the cause for the vibration you feel when shifted into reverse. Could also be worn transmission mounts as well.

Good Luck.

Yes, as the RPMs increase so does the vibration and noise.

Odd thing is that when the car is shifted into drive, the car is as smoothe as the day I got it.

Do you have any idea how much this would cost? Something tells me a large part of the Christmas bonus check will go to this repair.

Thanks for all of your help!

Yeah, that sounds like a bad motor mount. When you shift it into drive - it will couple the two together and tend to reduce vibration. If it is worse - then you probaly have a transmission mount that has gone bad as well.

Fluid filled motor mounts are great for vibration - expensive to replace. I rememeber something like $115 just for the mount, minus labor. Would probably work to your advantage to shop around unless you have a mechanic you like to take work to.

Good Luck.

Topic List