Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By skiier88, May 30, 2007

I have owned my 5-speed 1.6 L 1993 Toyota Corolla for over a year now. Ever since I bought it, it has caused me no problems whatsoever. I have made routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc. and have kept it well maintained. Just recently, however, the car has been acting up on me in a very peculiar way. When I make left turns or hit bumps in the road (not major potholes, just regular sized bumps one would find on a dirt road) while giving the car gas, the engines quits momentarily. The "Check Engine" comes on and the car's engine just sort of pauses/sputters before coming back on a second or two later. It has done this for about two weeks now. I checked my spark plugs, replaced the distributor cap, starter, and fuel filter. All of this work solved nothing. The car still sputtered during those turns and bumps. So I figured I would check it out and do a little more work on it this upcoming weekend (I have literally NO time on weekdays- I work from nine until nine).

Then yesterday came. I hit a bump (I live on a dirt road) and the engine sputtered as usual. However, this time the engine did not come back on a second later. What's worse? The car would not start back up. The engine now turns but the car does not start. There is over a quarter tank of gas in the car so I know that is not the problem.

Is there anyone who can tell what the problem is? I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

g'day,

maybe its time to replace the fuel pump? what series corolla (ae101,102 etc) you have, and the engine (7afe or 4afe).

Have you tried to pull any codes?

Sometimes an obstruction like rust or sediment in a tank will plug the intake to the pump and when suction is released (when the car stalls) the restriction falls and the fuel supply is restored allowing the car to run.

At the very least I would pull the codes to get you in the ballpark and perhaps replace the fuel filter if your car has one.

Without a code to steer you in the right direction I would be leaning towards an electrical problem.

I have owned my 5-speed 1.6 L 1993 Toyota Corolla for over a year now. Ever since I bought it, it has caused me no problems whatsoever. I have made routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc. and have kept it well maintained. Just recently, however, the car has been acting up on me in a very peculiar way. When I make left turns or hit bumps in the road (not major potholes, just regular sized bumps one would find on a dirt road) while giving the car gas, the engines quits momentarily. The "Check Engine" comes on and the car's engine just sort of pauses/sputters before coming back on a second or two later. It has done this for about two weeks now. I checked my spark plugs, replaced the distributor cap, starter, and fuel filter. All of this work solved nothing. The car still sputtered during those turns and bumps. So I figured I would check it out and do a little more work on it this upcoming weekend (I have literally NO time on weekdays- I work from nine until nine).

Then yesterday came. I hit a bump (I live on a dirt road) and the engine sputtered as usual. However, this time the engine did not come back on a second later. What's worse? The car would not start back up. The engine now turns but the car does not start. There is over a quarter tank of gas in the car so I know that is not the problem.

Is there anyone who can tell what the problem is? I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Dan_H

Sounds a little bit like the problem I've been trying to track down on a 99 VE (link). Cutting out on a left hand turn sounds familiar, but I haven't had a check engine light.

If you pull the diag codes, I'd be interested in what it says.

Sounds a little bit like the problem I've been trying to track down on a 99 VE (link). Cutting out on a left hand turn sounds familiar, but I haven't had a check engine light.

If you pull the diag codes, I'd be interested in what it says.

I really appreciate the response. However, I already tried to pull some codes and came up with nothing. Thanks for your help though.

Have you tried to pull any codes?

Sometimes an obstruction like rust or sediment in a tank will plug the intake to the pump and when suction is released (when the car stalls) the restriction falls and the fuel supply is restored allowing the car to run.

At the very least I would pull the codes to get you in the ballpark and perhaps replace the fuel filter if your car has one.

Without a code to steer you in the right direction I would be leaning towards an electrical problem.

Yeah I tried to pull some codes and came up with nothing. Thanks for you help though, I really appreciate it.

g'day,

maybe its time to replace the fuel pump? what series corolla (ae101,102 etc) you have, and the engine (7afe or 4afe).

It's a 4afe and an ae101. I as well beleive that the fuel pump needs replacing. Thank you so much for your response!

Dan_H

It's a 4afe and an ae101. I as well beleive that the fuel pump needs replacing.
Just in case it isn't the pump, I'd recommend confirming whether 12V is measured at the pump when it should be on.

Topic List