Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Popping Sound From Front Suspension

by texasrolla, April 30, 2007

Howdy yall,

I just got myself a 96 Geo Storm[edit: Prizm], which is a twin brother to the Corolla.

The drivetrain of this Geo is very similar to my 92 'ROlla; so, the Geo

should be very reliable. However, I noticed the radio is made by Delco,

which is no Toyota.

Anyway, I have an issue, and want people opinions

before spending big bux on struts. The issue is that there is a very

noticeable pop sound whenever the car accelerates from standstill and

whenever a significant amount of brake is applied. However, gentle acceleration

and brake does not enable this pop sound. Pot holes, though, will easily cause

the pop sound. This sound is almost definitely coming from the front

suspension.

I propped the hook up and jumped up-n-down on each of the four corners

of the car. The rear corners did not make any sound as it moved up and down.

However, the front corners make a faint popping sound as it moved up

and down. Does this mean the shocks are bad? or do they usually

make faint popping sound when doing this kind of test?

By the way, I've visually checked all the suspension components, and they look

nice and tight. The tie rods are good, too. The car tracks straight and drives perfectly

except for this pop sound. Are the shocks bad?

pop as in pop corn ??

can you describe the sound in detail ??

it could be the suspension or the steering components.

Yes, a "POP" sound. Whatever it is, it only does it once.

So, as I press down on the gas pedal, I hear one POP.

As I press down hard on the brake pedal to slow down,

I hear one POP.

Pop sound can be reproduced everytime I accelerate

or hit the brakes hard. It can also be reproduced on

pot-holes, and when the car hits a pot-holes, it

makes one, and only one, POP sound.

At first, I thought it was the hood prop hitting the frame,

but I made sure the prop is secured.

the prizm and corolla are the twins. the geo storm is akin to a Impulse.

The Geo Storm was a rebadged version of the sporty Isuzu Impulse minus some of that car's more expensive features. The Storm and the Impulse were sold in Japan as the Gemini Coupe[1]. The Storm lacked the Impulse's Lotus-tuned suspension as well as the Impulse's optional turbocharger and all-wheel drive transmission. Although they were essentially the same car, sales of the Storm were much stronger than those of the Impulse—indeed, the Storm sold better than most small GM cars of that era. Slow sales of the Isuzu version doomed the Storm as both cars were discontinued in 1993.

I really meant Geo Prizm. I don't know why I typed Storm. Correcting it.

I remember the Isuzu Impulse, made famous by Joe Isuzu, when he caught a speed bullet in his mouth. Great commercial.

I don't know why the Impulse didn't survive. It had the superiority of rear wheel drive, and great handling. Instead, people bought FWD econo boxes instead.

The Geo Storm was a rebadged version of the sporty Isuzu Impulse minus some of that car's more expensive features. The Storm and the Impulse were sold in Japan as the Gemini Coupe[1]. The Storm lacked the Impulse's Lotus-tuned suspension as well as the Impulse's optional turbocharger and all-wheel drive transmission. Although they were essentially the same car, sales of the Storm were much stronger than those of the Impulse—indeed, the Storm sold better than most small GM cars of that era. Slow sales of the Isuzu version doomed the Storm as both cars were discontinued in 1993.

I remember the Isuzu Impulse, made famous by Joe Isuzu, when he caught a speed bullet in his mouth. Great commercial.

I don't know why the Impulse didn't survive. It had the superiority of rear wheel drive, and great handling. Instead, people bought FWD econo boxes instead.

well the 2nd gen became FWD/AWD and it just didnt sell, cant tell ya why...but the Geo Storm was an ugly little snip of a car sadly, the impulses looked good tho!

It could be a bushing but don't rule out an engine or transmission mount problem.....

........ The issue is that there is a very noticeable pop sound whenever the car accelerates from standstill and whenever a significant amount of brake is applied. However, gentle acceleration and brake does not enable this pop sound. Pot holes, though, will easily cause the pop sound. This sound is almost definitely coming from the front suspension.

My car does the exact same thing, I know exactly what popping sound you are talking about. 94 corolla, 140k miles. Same circumstances, only happens when you accelerate or brake, but not always, if you hit a pot hole, it'll make the noise the next time you accelerate or brake.

No idea what it is unfortunetly. It's been doing it since ive gotten the car last year, but if I go easy on the gas and brakes, it stops doing it after a few days. If I jerk the car around (ie "play" in the rain or snow) it'll make it even on the slightest accelerator tap, for several days.

Do you have a 5 spd too?

My only guess is it's the transmission mount, as it only happens when the clutch is engaged. And when im talking about braking I mean engine braking.

It does sound like a pop sound, the best way I can describe it is it's like taking a wrench, and hitting it against a secure piece of metal, that doesnt vibrate after you hit it.

Same here with a 1998 Corolla VE w/ automatic transmission.

It doesn't do it anymore and I don't know why, but 2-3-4 years ago, have done it during at least 2 years.

During this period, the sound came from the left part of the engine bay (my left while i'm in the driver seat), close to the driver's side door.

Never know why this sound is for.

240,000km on it now, still rolling great!

i just started getting a light popping/tapping sound on my pass side front suspension, i checked it out and the rubber isolator on the spring perch has worn through and the spring is binding and popping against the spring perch slightly causing this noise.

just thought i'd share incase someone else has a mystery sound.

Topic List