Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By muzak, April 28, 2007

On the "wax' subject ..I agree about NXT being very good and I use it on my car and bike.

My sister in law has a brand new red Ford and her car looks very nice in the sunlight when clean. The only problem is that it has many "swirls" on the hood even though (she says) it has only been thorough "touchless" car washes.

How can a new vehicle have all those marks when my '05 doesn't have a single one?

Sneaky nighttime swirl gnomes?

• 1,424 posts
On the "wax' subject ..I agree about NXT being very good and I use it on my car and bike. My sister in law has a brand new red Ford and her car looks very nice in the sunlight when clean. The only problem is that it has many "swirls" on the hood even though (she says) it has only been thorough "touchless" car washes.

How can a new vehicle have all those marks when my '05 doesn't have a single one?

Because colors like Cactus Green Mica and Silverstreak don't show swirls hardly at all. On the other hand, colors like red, especially flat red (which is probably what her car is) tend to show swirls quite easily.

As to how they got there, the dealer hand washed it before delivery and didn't rinse the road debris off it first, particulate matter got into their sponge and scratched the paint. That is why whenever I've bought a new car I've told the dealer I did not want them to wash it unless it was so filthy that I couldn't check the body for damage. Another possibility is that contrary to what she says it was taken through a brush type car wash. Those are bad for your car if you don't wax, they always leave scratches in your paint because of the crap they collect when washing vehicles.

NXT should minimize the swirls and make the red paint appear deeper and glossier than before. Do her a favor and tell her that if she plans to keep the car and wants it to stay red instead of fading to pink that she needs to start waxing it every two months at most and preferably every month.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else