Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Brushed Steel Painting

By twinky64, April 26, 2007

My ultimate car is a 1971 Boss. I bought a model and thought it would be cool to paint it brushed steel; with the uniform grain look and everything. Does anybody know how to do that? Its a metal model that I want to paint over.

• 1,424 posts
My ultimate car is a 1971 Boss. I bought a model and thought it would be cool to paint it brushed steel; with the uniform grain look and everything. Does anybody know how to do that? Its a metal model that I want to paint over.

The way I always saw people get brushed steel is to use lacquer. It holds the brush strokes as it dries, and if you do it right, you get a clear layer of lacquer with brush strokes on top of your metal. It looks a lot like brushed steel.

The way I always saw people get brushed steel is to use lacquer. It holds the brush strokes as it dries, and if you do it right, you get a clear layer of lacquer with brush strokes on top of your metal. It looks a lot like brushed steel.

So lacquer over the already dried paint? Is there another method, I don't want 3d texture to my model.

• 1,424 posts

So lacquer over the already dried paint? Is there another method, I don't want 3d texture to my model.

The brushed steel that I've seen done is not painted. It is simply steel that has lacquer with brush strokes in it. They they go over the lacquer (after it has dried) with another thinner lacquer that smooths everything out while still leaving the look of a texture.

I guess you could do this on a painted surface as well.

The brushed steel that I've seen done is not painted. It is simply steel that has lacquer with brush strokes in it. They they go over the lacquer (after it has dried) with another thinner lacquer that smooths everything out while still leaving the look of a texture.

I guess you could do this on a painted surface as well.

What I was thinking of doing was getting some thinner and taking off the yellow and black paint down to its bare metal. Then I have 3 methods that only I can think of:

1. Getting some sandpaper or steel wool and sanding, creating micro trenches in the metal model and spraying some semi-gloss steel onto the metal afterwards.

2. Hand brushing steel paint on smooth metal surface.

3. Spraying steel paint and getting oil based clear coat and brush that onto the already dried paint.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else