Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest speedknot

I have a 99 Corolla with 138,000miles. I noticed that at around 40-70 mph, when I take my foot off the gas or coast, I have a vibrating knocking noise. It goes away when I give it gas again. Im assuming its the CV's. I know my way around a wrench but I was wondering if any of you have done this job and might have any tips or sugestions?

check the balljoints as well.

Sounds like a CV joint/axle issue to me Speedknot.

I have a 99 Corolla with 138,000miles. I noticed that at around 40-70 mph, when I take my foot off the gas or coast, I have a vibrating knocking noise. It goes away when I give it gas again. Im assuming its the CV's. I know my way around a wrench but I was wondering if any of you have done this job and might have any tips or sugestions?

g'day,

i discovered this shortcut method of removing the cv shaft from the wreckers.

1) if your car has steel rim, remove the plastic wheel cover.

2) remove the cotter pin and axle shaft lock nut cap and undo the axle shaft bearing lock nut. (if the car has alloy wheel you need to apply the brake to undo the lock nut)

3) raise the car using a jack and support it w/ a stand and remove the wheel

4) drain the transaxle fluid.

5) using a soft face hammer hit the axle shaft inorder to separate it from the bearing hub.

6) separate the strut assembly from the steering knuckle (you need a pin punch to remove the bolts once you undo the nut) and be careful on the brake line not to overstretch.

7) the knuckle assembly can be move in this situation, move the assembly sideward towards the rear of the fender and push the axle shaft to disengage it from the bearing hub.

8) with a pry bar or a big screw driver on hand , position yourself under the car and separate the axle shaft from the transaxle by prying the axle shaft outward. (use the ear of the inboard joints in prying if available)

the installation is the opposite of disassembly.

i use this technique on nissan pulsar, honda prelude and on my toyota corolla. by the way if you can get a remanufactured toyota axle shafts from the dealer much better. it cost less compared to brand new and much more durable compared to other aftermarket supplier, its your call.

rey t

Topic List