Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By collector, April 4, 2007

Hi all

Just picked up an '03 Corolla CE (56,000km) about 2 weeks ago, and I have noticed that at (cold) startup, the revs climb to approx 1900-2000 RPM, until she warms up. (seems kind of high to me) After it's warmed up, it drops to 800-900. Is this normal VVT activity, or could the cold start injector be overactive? If I am being paranoid, please forgive me, I'm unfamiliar with new(er) Toyotas. default_blink (Previous vehicle-1988 3.0L 4x4 pickup-it ran and felt like a tank lol)

Hi allJust picked up an '03 Corolla CE (56,000km) about 2 weeks ago, and I have noticed that at (cold) startup, the revs climb to approx 1900-2000 RPM, until she warms up. (seems kind of high to me) After it's warmed up, it drops to 800-900. Is this normal VVT activity, or could the cold start injector be overactive? If I am being paranoid, please forgive me, I'm unfamiliar with new(er) Toyotas. default_blink (Previous vehicle-1988 3.0L 4x4 pickup-it ran and felt like a tank lol)

Hi, Collector,

Nope, nothing to worry about. My 2000 Corolla does the exact same thing! Cold start idle about 1,800 2,000 rpms. Then according to the ambient temperature, it starts to drop to about 1,200 1,400 rpms. The colder the weather, the long it takes to idle down. In 10 degree weather it can take as long as 3 minutes! When it's 30 degrees and above, the process usually takes no longer than 20 to 30 seconds. When the car's fully warmed up, the idle speed drops to about 800-1,000 rpms.

The ECU decides how long to fast idle a cold engine and when to drop it down.

Not to worry, your car is normal.

Regards,

timkedz

Hi allJust picked up an '03 Corolla CE (56,000km) about 2 weeks ago, and I have noticed that at (cold) startup, the revs climb to approx 1900-2000 RPM, until she warms up. (seems kind of high to me) After it's warmed up, it drops to 800-900. Is this normal VVT activity, or could the cold start injector be overactive? If I am being paranoid, please forgive me, I'm unfamiliar with new(er) Toyotas. default_blink (Previous vehicle-1988 3.0L 4x4 pickup-it ran and felt like a tank lol)

Hi, Collector,

Nope, nothing to worry about. My 2000 Corolla does the exact same thing! Cold start idle about 1,800 2,000 rpms. Then according to the ambient temperature, it starts to drop to about 1,200 1,400 rpms. The colder the weather, the long it takes to idle down. In 10 degree weather it can take as long as 3 minutes! When it's 30 degrees and above, the process usually takes no longer than 20 to 30 seconds. When the car's fully warmed up, the idle speed drops to about 800-1,000 rpms.

The ECU decides how long to fast idle a cold engine and when to drop it down.

Not to worry, your car is normal.

Regards,

timkedz

Whew-thanks, timkedz for your prompt reply... I was getting very concerned about the high revs..I thought they were beating the crap out of the engine! Not used to those high revs, but then, I'm not used to a 4 banger either, though I certainly can get used to the fuel consumption!!!!! I'm now paying $25 CAD a week whereas before I was paying $50....plus I travel in a lot more comfort.... default_tongue

Every car ive owned has had a higher idle when first being started, and lowers once it warms up. Mostly in the winter time, but its nothin to worry about!

Topic List