Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Window Rattles

by chill99, April 3, 2007

I have a new 2007 Corolla. Since the day I bought it, the rear (very back window) makes a creaking, rattling, ticking sound. Frustratingly, the noise is intermittent. Sometimes it happens and goes on for hours, othertimes under identical conditions it does nothing. I've had it to the dealer 5 times and they've removed all the plastic in the rear and reinstalled it, and most recently removed and reinstalled the entire window. But the noise persists. It sounds like it is coming from where the window meets the frame top left or top center. Often the noise begins when the car goes over a small bump while turning. Does anybody have any insight? I know it's a small stupid problem, but the noise is very annoying and I'm getting sick of taking the car back to the dealer. Thanks in advance!

Old school way is try sliding a piece of paper or similar between the window and frame, door and body to see if there is any gap. Since this happens when you hit a bump and while turning, may be a tough thing to find (chassis must be loaded/unloaded to open a gap - causing it to rattle).

I would keep taking it back to the dealership or take it someplace else. Its under warranty - so make them fix it or make it right.

I have some sort of rattle as well coming from the back window area.. Intermittant and occurs like you are describing, but to me it sounds more like a plastic rattling sound. Maybe from a speaker cover or something..

Gonna have to have the wife drive, while I isolate the sound in the back.. Sound is annoying..

I don't have a rattle in the back, but I do get severe buffetting (or however you spell it) when I lower one of the back windows and leave the other 3 closed. I've never had a vehicle do that before and it's really bad about 50mph. If you hear the rattle with only one window down, lower the other side and see if it does the same thing.

I have a new 2007 Corolla. Since the day I bought it, the rear (very back window) makes a creaking, rattling, ticking sound. Frustratingly, the noise is intermittent. Sometimes it happens and goes on for hours, othertimes under identical conditions it does nothing. I've had it to the dealer 5 times and they've removed all the plastic in the rear and reinstalled it, and most recently removed and reinstalled the entire window. But the noise persists. It sounds like it is coming from where the window meets the frame top left or top center. Often the noise begins when the car goes over a small bump while turning. Does anybody have any insight? I know it's a small stupid problem, but the noise is very annoying and I'm getting sick of taking the car back to the dealer. Thanks in advance!

I have the creaking too. I think mine is more related to plastic rubbing plastic when the rear deck meets the side panels. I have tried wedging things in between where they meet and sometimes it works, sometimes not. My next plan is to remove the rear deck and add some foam strips. I have the creaking you are describing when it is very cold out and there seems to be ice around the trunk lid. Of course, this goes away when it melts. I would think there is something loose in the roof in your car. I know the antenna/amplifier is near there so a wire might be just loose enough to hit the frame to amplify the noise just enough. Good Luck and let us know if you find what it is!

Guest flippy

I have a 2007 as well and I'm experiencing the same problem. This just started roughly about 2 months ago and very annoying. It sounds as the rear window is almost loose. I did ride back ther and pressed on the window to see if that would stop the noise. It did quiet it down some, but it took a lot of pressure for me to make that happen. I can't pinpoint when and what would cause the noise to come and go, it always seems that when I take it into the dealer....they noise isn't happening.

Guest blueskies

Any updates on this creaking noise problem? I just bought an 05 T3 with this issue.

Guest nazskiss

I have a problem with the glass in the rear window of my 2005 corolla rattling, i've bought some silicon but am unsure whether this will fix it ( only bought today decided to browse the forums to see how others have fixed this) haven't taken it anywhere , but its driving me crazy cos im scared the window will come out or something.. but pretty much it picks up every bump in the road.. and sounds like its gonna come out, i'm hoping the silicone is going to work.. as i have no other idea what to do, i thought i'd fill in the gap between the glass and the window frame from the boot, not sure.. its like its missing a seal, but i don't think there ever was a seal there.. i think i would notice a huge chunk of black stuff coming out of my car.. anyway keep you posted if it works..

Guest nazskiss

replying to my own post..

problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no rattle after silicon was injected inbetween glass and rubber seal along the base of rear window.. very happy.. thanks guys for your posts to tell me what to do ..

Topic List