Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Wheel Bearings

Guest The Dom

I'm in Australia and my '89 corolla SX has done 242,000km

Driving over bumps or rough road produces a clunking noise in the front and rear of the car. I have replaced all four struts so that aspect isn't the problem.

Could it be my wheel bearings and if so how much do they cost and how hard are they to put in?

Thanks

The Dom

Wheel bearings generaly don't make a clunking noise - more of a higher pitched squeaking or shrilling noise.

Don't mean that they are fine - they could be going bad. I'd look into the suspension hard points (bushings) for the anti-roll bar, spring/strut mounts, tie rod ends, etc. Over time, these bushings will soften and wear down, allowing much more suspension movement and looseness - usually ending up with clunking or thumping noises.

Bushing prices vary quite a bit - need a press to push in new bushing or replace the worn unit. Wheel bearings are not expensive, not really hard to put in either, but you would have to watch the bearing preload - not too much, not too little.

Prices in USD will run from $50 to $200 for bushings and around $40-$50 for wheel bearings.

Good Luck.

Guest The Dom

Thanks mate

I hadn't considered the suspension bushings.

The reason I though it was the wheel bearings is that when lifted and any of the wheels is hit with a hand, the slight movement and noise comes from either at or just inside the wheel not further up in the suspension linkages.

Access-Denied (+1)

Maybe ball joints, but I guess that doesn't explain the noise from the rear of the car.

Topic List