Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

True Cai?

by brethauer, March 21, 2007

I cant seem to come across an actuall CAI for my Rolla. Any one know of one?

Corolla's don't have the best after market support. Sadly, most people buy SRIs or CAIs because they look nice and even though they might cost hundreds of dollars, most of the barely upgraded power comes from a larger surface area cotton filter, not the blingy intake pipe.

Unless you must have that CAI look, I'd just go for a TRD or K&N drop in filter.

A google search should find you a CAI, but be prepared to throw down some nice coin for one.

One of the few that made a real CAI for the 8th gen Corollas was EL Prototypes. Unfortunantly, they do not make them anymore, most of the ones that you can find are only for the non-VVTi variants. Not a total deal breaker - as most will modify those to accept the MAF sensor from the later 8th gen models. TRD also had one for the 8th gens, harder to find, but a drop in fit. Like gvr4ever so nicely stated - be prepared to throw down some money to pick one of those up. Don't discount your OEM airbox. It is actually pretty well designed and will minimal modifications (free flow panel filter, relocate intake pipe) you can produce dyno numbers similar to ones cost hundreds of dollars.

I put on a SRI on an 02.

Its a piece of ^&%.

Although it doesnt look bad, I have not seen a decent kit.

I tried a few kits. They are all JUST AS BAD!

They do not fit properly.

If you really want to have a CAI, at a decent price, you are prob going to have to DIY.

here is a link to one for a Celica.

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/intake1.htm

Its easy to make. just plan on spending some time measuring and then remeasuring.

good luck.

tdk.

Corolla's don't have the best after market support. Sadly, most people buy SRIs or CAIs because they look nice and even though they might cost hundreds of dollars, most of the barely upgraded power comes from a larger surface area cotton filter, not the blingy intake pipe.

Unless you must have that CAI look, I'd just go for a TRD or K&N drop in filter.

A google search should find you a CAI, but be prepared to throw down some nice coin for one.

Yes..there is no joke about that. I have an injen sri. Sounds good. lokks good. Doesnt do much except on the high end...especially when the engine heats up(which doesnt take long)

That's why i decided to look into a cai. i know about EL Prototypes, and almost had my hands on one after a guy wrecked his rolla..i was five mins late calling him default_sad.

Thanks for the DIY..nice...but im not too big on pvc. I think im going to get a cheap sri...cut the sensor areas out...and have a muffler shop bend some pipe just right for the fitting.

Yes..there is no joke about that. I have an injen sri. Sounds good. lokks good. Doesnt do much except on the high end...especially when the engine heats up(which doesnt take long)

That's why i decided to look into a cai. i know about EL Prototypes, and almost had my hands on one after a guy wrecked his rolla..i was five mins late calling him default_sad.

Thanks for the DIY..nice...but im not too big on pvc. I think im going to get a cheap sri...cut the sensor areas out...and have a muffler shop bend some pipe just right for the fitting.

PVC will put off toxic fumes when hot. NOT recommended for car use. Home Depot Racing is not a good ideal.

SRI will give gains until the engine bay gets hot. Any gains in extra air intake will probably be canceled by a hotter air intake.

Topic List