Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Got Hit Today.

by K_Watson, March 19, 2007

K_Watson

I was on my way to my parent's house this evening (Sunday) about 6:45 and I was following behind a guy in a black '92 Accord. We come up to a light with three lane choices, left turn, straight, and right turn. He stops in the center lane (straight) and I go around him to the right turn lane. I look up at the light just in time to see it turn yellow so I look down to check the intersection. Thats when I see the Honda appear in front of me. Apparently he had decided to make a right turn from the center lane and crossed my lane in the process. I step on the brake and stop just short of the white line, but not fast enough and the Honda hit my fender and scraped against my bumper. Luckily he has insurance and this should get taken care of pretty quickly. This makes the second time someone has hit me, both times not my fault.

My car at the scene just after the accident.

Click

Damaged fender and scraped bumper.

Click

Another angle. (At my parents house)

Click

Broken bumper cover connection point.

Click

I've not had good luck with cars.

I've not had good luck with cars.

If you think that's bad luck, read some of my posts about my 2000 rolla. My car has been nothing but a constant source of severe stress (emotional and financial) since the day I bought it, and it continues. To date I have more than $8k invested in it and it still has major problems. My only fault was that I was a naive consumer.

Having said that, sorry to hear about your little accident and glad that insurance will cover it. How much do you think it will cost?

You got lucky! It is unfortunate that it happened, but be happy that, number 1: you are alive, and number 2: your cars damage isnt too extensive. That is only a little scratch, plus youre not paying for it, so its cool!

I wish someone would scratch my car up like that and pay for the damage with their insurance, for I really wouldn't mind having extra spending money right about now.

K_Watson

Just got an estimate from a Chevy dealer's body shop to compare with whatever his insurance says. Came out to $1357.20

Be happy you don't live in Ontario here with the "No Fault" insurance crap. It's the innocent guy whose insurance goes up even though he didn't do anything wrong.

K_Watson

Be happy you don't live in Ontario here with the "No Fault" insurance crap. It's the innocent guy whose insurance goes up even though he didn't do anything wrong.

I always wondered why you guys put up with that. Is there anything in the works to change that?

Just got an estimate from a Chevy dealer's body shop to compare with whatever his insurance says. Came out to $1357.20

WOW! $1,300 for that little dent?

K_Watson

New fender, new bumper cover, paint and labor. I probably won't get quite that much. I got the estimate at a dealer body shop. The insurance will probably pick someone else cheaper.

Bikeman982

Doesn't seem too bad to me. I buy cars that have far more damage than that.

I could pay as much for a 7th generation Corolla as the estimate you got to repair your car.

I got $1230 from my insurance because a moonroof came off a car in front of me and splashed glass on my front end.

It was more than I paid for my car.

I wouldnt be worried about the cosmetic damage, seeing where it hit on the fender, Id be more worried about steering or suspension damage.

That kind of insurance scheme makes the innocent drive more carefully. I think that's a good scheme. Just because an accident was not a person's fault by law, doesn't always mean that person couldn't have done something to prevent the accident. I believe it's called "defensive driving" in driver's ed. Alot of times, accidents can be prevented if the not-at-fault person take precautions, like not tail-gating, not driving in someone's blind spot, looking both ways before crossing an intersection, etc.

If the not-at-fault person's insurance never goes up, then that person would have no incentive to be careful. Heck, such a person might purposely drive recklessly just so someone would hit him and pay for a new car.

K_Watson

That kind of insurance scheme makes the innocent drive more carefully. I think that's a good scheme. Just because an accident was not a person's fault by law, doesn't always mean that person couldn't have done something to prevent the accident. I believe it's called "defensive driving" in driver's ed. Alot of times, accidents can be prevented if the not-at-fault person take precautions, like not tail-gating, not driving in someone's blind spot, looking both ways before crossing an intersection, etc.

If the not-at-fault person's insurance never goes up, then that person would have no incentive to be careful. Heck, such a person might purposely drive recklessly just so someone would hit him and pay for a new car.

But then there is also the unavoidable accidents. Like the one I was in last year. I was stopped at a stoplight and a 16 year old girl in a conversion van got distracted and rear ended me. What then. If I was a Canadian and they raised MY rate for that I would be really pissed.

Apparently he had decided to make a right turn from the center lane and crossed my lane in the process.

I would have had a cop come to the scene and issue the Honda driver a mover ticket. Crossing into a lane is improper lane usage. Did you at least file a police report after the accident?

But then there is also the unavoidable accidents. Like the one I was in last year. I was stopped at a stoplight and a 16 year old girl in a conversion van got distracted and rear ended me. What then. If I was a Canadian and they raised MY rate for that I would be really pissed.

Firstly....I don't like the no fault crap!

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/ON/No_Fault.asp

I just found this website today and am reading on the no fault stuff. It seems if you are even "at fault" only 1% then your insurance rates will be going up. My sister in law was hit head on a couple of years ago from a pickup on a highway divided by grass. The guy hadn't taken his medication and fell asleep and crossed the median. Now she has to settle on a predetermined amount and the guy wasn't charged at all. Kudos by the way to the Nissan Maxima for taking a head on at 55mph both ways and still surviving.

The reason that guy wasn't charged was because it would be nearly impossible to make a criminal case, even if your sister had died (Vehicular homicide). There are no laws (at least here in the US) that say a person must take their medication, therefore its impossible to make a case even with negligence. In civil law, at least in the US, all you need to prove is a "proponderance of the evidence", meaning one person can be held more at fault than the other. In Criminal law, you need to prove both guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, as well as criminal intent, known in law enforcement as "Mens rea", which means roughly "guilty concious". We did a case study in my Criminal Law class my first semester which involved an 85 year old man suffering from dimentia who made a right turn and ran over 3 people on a crosswalk, killing 2 of them. Because the old man didn't have the intent to commit the crime, no criminal charges could be brought against him.

Bikeman982

That's my plan exactly!!

Topic List