Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Learning About Cars

By n3pl, March 14, 2007

I'm a CS (computer science) major who wants to know more about cars and eventually do a little modding -- and I'd like to start by changing my own oil.

Can someone point me in a direction on where to start? I suppose a good, cheap book would be nice.

I'm a CS (computer science) major who wants to know more about cars and eventually do a little modding -- and I'd like to start by changing my own oil.

Can someone point me in a direction on where to start? I suppose a good, cheap book would be nice.

whatsup n3pl.

Yea. First you gotta know some knowledge before doing some hands-on. Like cooking, gotta know the lingo first you know?

some good knowledge can be found at

www.carbibles.com

After that, get a repair book for your car. You'll be fine until you actually take some extensive classes or have been trained by a mechanic. Have fun with your alt. hobby.

You can get a Haynes manual at local auto parts store for your car. For more detailed and specific information, you can get factory repair manual from Toyota.

As for changing oil, its fairly straightforward, but you will need to raise the front of the car. Make sure the car is well supported by jacks. If you do some search here and on toyota nation forums, you will find link to some pictures of step by step oil change. Also, google it.

Bikeman982

I recommend a Haynes or Chilton repair manual or a dealer factory type repair manual.

Changing oil is fairly easy.

Put a pan under the drain plug - take out drain plug.

If you are also going to change the oil filter - remove filter, coat seal on new one, install it.

Put drain plug back in. Add proper amount of oil. Run engine, check for leaks.

There are marks on your oil dipstick for empty and full - take a look at them , before, during and after oil change.

This is the simplified version of an oil change. Not too much to it.

n3pl: Are you an amateur radio operator? Your screen name is the same as an Amateur Extra Class call sign, in fact I looked it up. There is some doubt, because the QRZ record for callsign N3PL indicates a person 48 years old, you don't sound that old to me. Do you live in Delaware? I'm here in Dover. Please confirm or deny.

Larry Roll, K3LT

@Larry:

nope, I live in Ohio. I never really came up with a unique username that I liked so I just type in random letters.

@everyone else:

Thanks for the replies. I will probably make it to the auto parts store tomorrow.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else