Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Another Science Question

By muzak, March 13, 2007

I can't seem to find it on the internet as I don't seem to be typing in the right promts. I would like to know what they call it when beer (for instance) gets semi frozen and you open the can/bottle and it keeps coming out. That way you get double the beer for the same price. It doesn't seem to happen with bottled water though.

Liquids expand when frozen.

Liquids expand when frozen.
Yep, this is due to the method in which the Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms are aligned to form the crystalline lattice of frozen water.

Ummm. Yea.....lets see here.

Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water. In fact, sometimes you can put it in some automotive liquids to keep it from freezing in freezing temperatures like Canada. So, in that chemistry class you saw that water expands when it freezes. Ie ice is bigger than water proportionally speaking. In a beer bottle, there is pressure on the inside due to carbonation. So, with that pressure and the liquid expansion due to such cold temperatures, it should keep coming out and out. At least, this is what I think. I'm just a Mech. Eng. major so.....chem is not my strong area.

I don't know what this phenomenon is called, but it is cool.

Water and beer is super cooled, but it is still liquid. When disturbed slightly, it freezes rapidly.

Cheers,

Bikeman982

I am not a chemist or physics expert but I would think there is a limit as to how much beer fits in a can.

If you open it up and the beer keeps on coming out, you are probably just getting the contents of the can mixed with the outside air.

The increase is just air and doesn't mean you have a greater quantity of beer (or alcohol).

That is just my opinion.

Thanks for your help and I think I found the answer on a web site www.kottke.org/06/11/frozen-beer-tricks which seems to answer the question.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else