Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Stock Wheels

by Silver Bullet September 23, 2004

Sorry if this has been asked 1,000 times before but here I go. How much do 14" stock steel wheels weight or where can I find this info? Thanks.

'01 'Rolla LE

I checked Wheelweights.net and it turns out that the '93-'97 models have 19 lb cast steel wheels. They have the same 14 x 5.5 size as the '02 Corolla. So we could infer that the '01s are similar perhaps. That is not a definitive answer but it may tell you something.

The OEM wheel that were on my 2002 were a touch over 19lbs - 14" x 5.5" wheel.

Whats the big deal with wheel weights,you gonna carry them on a plane???

Whats the big deal with wheel weights,you gonna carry them on a plane???

Hopefully it is to reduce the upsprung wieght of the car. Makes transitions faster and makes it easier on your suspension and brake components.

hummm,unsprung weight,a pound x four or less if i'm seeing this right is gonna make you sleepless at night,worry about gas prices,war in iraq,having a job but wheel weights I don't see it unless you're going to seventeen or eighteen inch wheels.Unless you're going to run it in a Nascar event.

It gives you good baseline to compare different wheels - if you plan to replace them. With the simple suspension design, like the Corolla's and a bunch of other compact cars - unsprung weight is important to keep in mind. I've gone from a 21lb 17" wheel on a Honda and dropped down to a 14lb 16" wheel - same width. Braking, cornering, and on road performance was noticeably better (even with the increased aspect ratio) plus increased overall fuel economy by 20-25% vs the heavier wheels.

Braking, cornering, and on road performance was noticeably better (even with the increased aspect ratio) plus increased overall fuel economy by 20-25% vs the heavier wheels.

I think you're pushing it a bit far ;-) If light wheels could really give 20% better fuel economy then all cars by now would have some sort of superstrong plastic wheels or at least lightweight alloy wheels. More likely the improvement you observed was due to a change in your driving style, different tires (rolling resistance, size, etc) or some other factor.

As for claims lighter wheels are easier on the suspension... why?

I think you're pushing it a bit far ;-) If light wheels could really give 20% better fuel economy then all cars by now would have some sort of superstrong plastic wheels or at least lightweight alloy wheels. More likely the improvement you observed was due to a change in your driving style, different tires (rolling resistance, size, etc) or some other factor.

That's is what I though as well, fuel economy should have gotten worse - wider wheels, softer tire compound, giving it some more "go" pedal in the corners default_biggrin - but, the numbers I got told a different story. This was also way past the break-in period - car already had 24K miles by the time of the switch.

I did the same thing with my current Corolla - OEM wheel, consistently around 36MPG on highway (14" x 5.5") - then lightweight wheel (16" x 7"), consistently around 40MPG on highway - then switched to a different alloy wheel after I bent one of the others on a pothole, same size and same tire as the lighter alloy but same weight as OEMs - 30MPG now. But I would also have to add it depends on the vehicle - saw the same test done to a 3 series BMW and Dodge Dakota Pickup truck - there the fuel economy varied only a few MPG one way or another.

It would make sense to run a better wheel if there was any benefit to running these lighter wheels. You also have to factor in the overall cost of such improvements as well as the industry's perception of what good these changes will do . Steel OEM wheels run about $40 - $60 for a replacement - the lightweight alloys ran me about $250 each w/o the tire. Steelies also take a quite a beating and still return good use - can't say the same for some of those alloys out there (at least the reasonably priced ones). Got better performance, but once you factor in the cost of the wheel upgrade to the cost of gas you can save - you end up still holding the short end of the stick - unless gas goes to $5 a gallon.

For more info on what reducing unsprung mass can do for you and some suspension theory:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/perform.htm

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/february02/oz.shtml

http://www.rqriley.com/suspensn.html

Read all the links concerning the physics of wheels,suspensions,drive links,etc.If what you want out of a Corolla is the above, junk it an go buy a Porche or Lamborghini,Ferrari.Toyota Corollas are made for economy,nice ride,good looks and it handles pretty good.Price ain't bad either.

i was considering getting alloys at some stage...............however, this is what i found out:

alloys have poor availability down the track: i can get it now, but what happens in 5 yrs time if i bend a rim, and have to get a new wheel?? most aftermarket brands would not still be available same size, style etc. after so long - especially if i just want the one wheel. i'd need to get a whole new set - $$$!!! i can always get steel wheels from toyota or a wrecker or something.

so, i'm happy with my steel wheels.........

Read all the links concerning the physics of wheels,suspensions,drive links,etc.If what you want out of a Corolla is the above, junk it an go buy a Porche or Lamborghini,Ferrari.Toyota Corollas are made for economy,nice ride,good looks and it handles pretty good.Price ain't bad either.

i fully agree. you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear..................

Topic List