Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Sirius And Xm To Merge

By the99contour, February 21, 2007

• 1,424 posts

So I see that XM and Sirius are going to merge if the stock holders of both companies and the SEC and FCC approve.

I really hope the SEC or FCC blocks the merger.

I have Sirius and I love it. I purposely bought it instead of XM because XM isn't 100% commercial free, Sirius has music that is more my taste, and Sirius has less repetition of their programming.

I paid a lot for a receiver and service to Sirius, and I'll be pissed if they make my equipment obsolete or remove Sirius programming and replace it with XM programming. Our rates won't go down either, despite the fact that merging the companies will save billions.

If they were to allow us to keep out current equipment and simply broadcast both system's channels over their respective satellites and let us keep the channels we like, I'll be fine with that, as long as they don't increase the rates more than 10%.

Otherwise, I'll not renew my subscription, and I'll put Ipod integration into my car. I have an Ipod that can hold thousands of songs, all selected by me that I can play in any order I wish. The only thing Sirius can give me that my Ipod can't is the ability to play music on any internet connected computer.

I never did get Sirius or XM, mainly because I jumped on the iPod bandwagon and it has been meeting my on-road entertainment needs quite nicely. Like you, I have self-selected songs, arranged in what I feel are playlists that represent my various moods quite well. I also have a lot of podcasts, indeed, I'm backed up two months on Leo Laporte's tech podcasts alone. Since I don't spend a lot of time in my car anyway, I'm not likely to catch up on the podcasts any time soon! So, who needs satellite radio? If they started giving it away for five bucks a month, I still probably wouldn't bother. For people like truckers and those with long commutes, it may make sense, so no matter what happens to the two companies, I'm sure they'll have a customer base to serve.

I never would have thought that people would actually pay to listen to radio. I also never thought that people would actually pay $3 for a cup of burnt coffee. I'm obviously wrong in both cases. I guess I'm old-fashion, as I still listen to cassette tapes.

99, it seems like this Satellite radio thing has got you fuming; perhaps, it's time to listen to the good 'ol AM and FM! Free radio has never let me down.

• 1,424 posts
99, it seems like this Satellite radio thing has got you fuming; perhaps, it's time to listen to the good 'ol AM and FM! Free radio has never let me down.

I had AM and FM, but once you've had Sirius you forget all about those. I did for the following reasons.

1) I hate hate hate commercials, especially when they take up 1/3 of every hour of play.

2) I also travel between areas a lot, and some of the areas only have country music, which I don't like.

3) I dislike having to fool with the stereo dial every time I wander out of one radio station's coverage area.

4) Also, inevitably, I always lose a station just as they are about to play a song I like.

Sirius has no commercials, the spend only 2 minutes or so having you listen to the DJ and the other 58 minutes are music.

Sirius is coast to coast and all 125 channels are available everywhere. So 2-4 are not issues anymore.

That is why I pay 12.95 a month for Sirius. Well, I can also listen to it at home and over any internet connected computer.

I have Sirius and I love it! I do wish all of the channels were commercial free, but the ones that do have commercials, they are few and far between. I hope nothing changes because of this merger....

• 1,424 posts
I have Sirius and I love it! I do wish all of the channels were commercial free, but the ones that do have commercials, they are few and far between. I hope nothing changes because of this merger....

Which ones have commercials?

I've listened to about half of the channels on Sirius at one point or another and never heard a commercial. Of course I'm not counting the plugs they do about getting your friends and family to buy Sirius because those are done by the DJs during their 2-3 minute talk.

I know XM has commercials on several channels. There aren't as many as on free radio, but too many for me to pay for it. I also know for a fact that XM just rebroadcasts Clear Channel radio for several of their music channels. Sirius has 100% original programming, or at least it is programming they purchased like Blue Collar Comedy or The Who Concerts.

I don't know if there are many like myself out there, but I've probably listened to am/fm less than 15 minutes in the past 10 years on any vehicle I've owned. I'm surrounded at work by "radio wars" and constantly bombarded with different stations when I move about the plant. When my alarm goes off in the morning, the local station has commercial/news/commercial/sports/

commercial/weather. That's the reason I use mp3's in my car and can listen to what I want, when I want.

Only the music channels are commercial free. The others have commercials.

Raw Dog Comedy (104) always has commercials for [had to remove word due to advertiser flags!] and adult toys on it...

• 1,424 posts

Only the music channels are commercial free. The others have commercials.

Raw Dog Comedy (104) always has commercials for [had to remove word due to advertiser flags!] and adult toys on it...

I've never listened to anything other than music and ten or so minutes of Blue Collar Comedy. That is probably why I haven't heard any commercials.

I don't mind commercials at natural breaks in a talk radio program or during a newscast, I just don't like them interrupting my music.

XM has commercials on several of their music channels, and all the ones that they rebroadcast from Clear Channel have commercials. If I wanted to listen to Clear Channel Radio, I'd just use FM.

I don't mind commercials at natural breaks in a talk radio program or during a newscast, I just don't like them interrupting my music.
Yeah, it really isnt a problem...

Bikeman982

I am old-fashioned as well. I just listen to FM radio and have a cassette player.

I have a collection of over 350 tapes and don't want to switch.

I also hate commercials, but that is what pays for the radio stations.

I listen to a local station and can get it all the way to where I work and back.

• 1,424 posts
I am old-fashioned as well. I just listen to FM radio and have a cassette player.I have a collection of over 350 tapes and don't want to switch.

I also hate commercials, but that is what pays for the radio stations.

I listen to a local station and can get it all the way to where I work and back.

I drive between several states on a semi-regular basis, I don't like fooling around everytime I drive through a state to find a radio station I like.

When I travel instate it is in-between 3 major metropolitan areas, each separated by many, many miles of rural areas. I don't like the radio in the rural areas, the city radio doesn't reach out there and the stations are all country stuff.

Sirius allows me to never have to search for a channel and I never have to listen to anything I don't want to.

I have a 6 disc in-dash changer in my car, but that doesn't hold enough music for an entire trip when I drive long distances.

It is nice to have Sirius as my primary audio entertainment while on the road, and while at school. Since I don't bring my stereo here, the only music I can listen to must come off my computer and I can get Sirius to stream over the internet.

I love satellite. Like contour, I used to drive between 3 states every week, and radio didnt cut it.

Mind you, I dont concentrate on the music very much, so sometimes, the same CD will repeat 3-4times before i even realize it.

But it sounded like they were trying to figure out how to make older models to continue to work.

tdk

Topic List: Go to Everything Else