Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Intermittant Heater Fan Problem

by bhp02, February 16, 2007

occasionally, the fan blows at a lower rate than normal, then it returns to a more

normal level... any ideas as to why this happens ??

There is no blockage in the filter area or the air intake areas.

You mean the blower speed seems to change on you? Might be the blower resistor starting to go bad. Usually, when they let go, the blower will lose some speeds. Could be the colder weather is quickening the resistor's demise or showing you some intermittent problem earlier.

You mean the blower speed seems to change on you? Might be the blower resistor starting to go bad. Usually, when they let go, the blower will lose some speeds. Could be the colder weather is quickening the resistor's demise or showing you some intermittent problem earlier.

where is this resister located ??

thnaks

Right on the blower assembly - easiest way to get a look at it is to remove the glovebox and see if you can reach it from there. It should be between the airconditioning unit assembly (on the left) and the cabin air filter (just to the right).

Right on the blower assembly - easiest way to get a look at it is to remove the glovebox and see if you can reach it from there. It should be between the airconditioning unit assembly (on the left) and the cabin air filter (just to the right).

thanks man, I amjust wondering if the resistor is like a clip on unit or a real resistor, like the ones on circuit boards

from the 1970's ??

How big is it , and how doyou remove it ??

Looks like a plug in module - should have two screws holding it on. Just like it sounds, big resistors inside that act like a voltage divider - fan really only has one speed (high), the rest are just discrete steps. Usually the first thing to go bad are the lower speeds or reduced number of fan speeds.

thanks there fish.......

Bikeman982

occasionally, the fan blows at a lower rate than normal, then it returns to a morenormal level... any ideas as to why this happens ??

There is no blockage in the filter area or the air intake areas.

I think some variation in the blower speed is normal.

On my car the blower blows slower when I am stopped at a stop sign or red light.

When I step on the gas the speed picks up.

I usually don't mind, since the majority of my drive is back and forth to work on the freeway.

The heat really works well and I have to keep turning it down as I get closer to my workplace.

fan speed slowing down down at idle is normal. this is because the alternator does not spin fast enough to generate anything. therefore you run off of battery voltage at approx. 12.6 vdc. with the engine rpm's up slightly you have around 14.5 vdc, which makes the fan spin faster, and you probably notice the lights get brighter also.

on a side note, if your battery is weak, this effect will be greatly exaggerated, to the point of being really noticable when you step on the brakes. my 93 did this, very pronounced also. the battery was bad, to the point it would just barely start the car. it finally got cold enough the car wouldnt start and went out to buy a new battery. now it is hardly noticed except at idle.

btw, the battery you can buy at toyota are really good batteries. made by interstate, and are backed by a really good warranty through toyota. (kind of hard to compete w/wal-mart tho)

aaron

Fish is correct, I have a resistor problem, the flow is very low now all the time for the lower fan speeds.

Thanks again Fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now where can I find this part on the cheap ??

Will call a dealership next week

Topic List