Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tire Weights

by minkey, September 21, 2004

I have a '01 that I bought used with the factory alloy wheels and the tires are not the originals. The tire balance weights are on the outside of the wheels.

Were the tire people just lazy or is there a reason why they can't be hidden on the inside? They detract from the smooth look of the polished aluminum. This works on steel wheels, even with wheel covers on them.

A tire shop can adjust the weights so that they can hide them. Just depends on the capabilities their tire balance machine. Some alloys - have a lip that will accept weights on the front - some don't.

Look at the total amount of weight they put on - if it exceeds 1 oz of weight - then either they screwed up or their machine is too old or the wheel/tire is messed up.

I'd have them redo it or refund your money and have someone else do the work.

Good Luck.

I beleive that most of the balancers are designed so that the tire is placed horozontally (lugs are verticle) with eh face of teh wheel facing up. Placing teh weights on the bakc of the rim would require the operator to remove the wheel and crimp them in teh correct spt, then place the wheel back in the balancing machine.

Long story short. It would take the operator (mechainic) longer to balance the wheel that way.

It's also easier to see if a weight is still in place or has come off. But I've never had a weight come off a a car that I'm aware of.

rhird reason. The wheel offset often places the face of the wheel closer to the mounting point. Therfore, if you place th eweight on the bakc of the rim, you might cause stress of the bearings, as a slight wobble could develop in the lateral axis since hte weight is so far laterally from the mounting point (center) of the wheel.

My '03 Corolla LE didn't come with alloy wheels, but I purchased a set of the OEM alloys on eBay. I mounted the tires myself at the Dover AFB Auto Hobby Shop, where they have a dynamic spin balancer. The operator was able to easily install the weights on the inside of the rim, so that they don't show on the outside. I don't see why you couldn't have the same thing done on your wheels. BTW -- I see plenty of vehicles with alloy wheels that have weights on the outside. I can't tell if this is just laziness on the part of whomever did the tire balancing, or if it is necessary because the outer wheel rim edge is the only one which would accept a weight. My guess is the former is the most likely scenario.

I requested stickon weights when they balanced my wheels. They are in middle of wheel. I like them much better than reg weights.

Topic List