Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Any Canadians?

By texasrolla, February 8, 2007

I was hoping Canadian members could provide me references for reputable used parts dealer in Canada who might have a manual steering rack for my 88 Accord and would be willing to ship it to Texas.

Thanks!

I was hoping Canadian members could provide me references for reputable used parts dealer in Canada who might have a manual steering rack for my 88 Accord and would be willing to ship it to Texas.

Thanks!

I'll look for it for you. Is there any particular part number or other stuff I should know when I ask?

I'll look for it for you. Is there any particular part number or other stuff I should know when I ask?

Thanks for your concern. I know this is a long shot because I was told that most Canadian used parts dealers refuse to ship to USA for whatever reason. Also, the Honda forum said that they haven't been able to find a Canadian dealer that would ship to USA, that the manual steering rack is very much sought after in the USA because Honda did not delivery any manual steering Accord to the USA--but did to Canada, and that people in that forum had to resort to road trips up to Canada in order to get the manual racks.

If it's not too much trouble, I appreciate it if you'd keep an eye out for one. The only info you need to know is that my 1988 Accord is the 3rd generation (1986-1989).

Ti-Jean

If I recall correctly, only the 3 door hatchback Accord came with manual steering in 1986 and 87. Power steering became standard in 88. I remember because I seriously considered buying one and tested an 87 with the manual rack and the mid-life refreshening for 88 brought the power steering std among the other bits.

The manual racks are rare, but they are out there in Canada. Many Accord enthusiasts have reported finding manual racks at Canadian junkyards and used parts dealers.

I was also told that in order to convert to manual steering, I would have to replace the subframe along with the manual rack. Well, that pretty much makes this an impossible project for me because shipping the heavy subframe from Canada to Texas would break my budget, without a doubt.

I think with all the duties, etc, on car parts, it make shipping parts across the border a pain, and its not worth the time for dealerships to do it.

might be a good business vernture for someone in canada. pick up a few parts at a bone yard, and sell it on ebay or accord forums...

tdk.

I found some on Ebay. Accord to the seller, he has 20 of 'em. I ordered one, and am eagerly awaiting the UPS truck. I must confess there is quite a bit of doubt as to whether this particular Ebay rack is indeed the manual kind, eventhough the seller claimed to have verified the item.

Bikeman982

I found some on Ebay. Accord to the seller, he has 20 of 'em. I ordered one, and am eagerly awaiting the UPS truck. I must confess there is quite a bit of doubt as to whether this particular Ebay rack is indeed the manual kind, eventhough the seller claimed to have verified the item.
It will be interesting to see just what you get.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else