Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Strange Installation Problem -- Please Help

By darkeagle03, September 20, 2004

OK, I've run into this strange problem.. I've got a 96 Corolla and was installing a new headunit. Sadly, I didn't know that I could get a wire harness from Best Buy so I was going through the trouble of figuring out all the wires and splicing them together.

Everything seemed to work except that I couldn't get it to power up both the taillights and the dash lights at the same time. After a while of this problem I found that I could get the harness from Best Buy so I went out and did that. Then I spliced the car's harness back on and plugged everything together. All of a sudden, NOTHING worked. No taillights, no dashlights, the headunit wouldn't even come on...

After a bunch of checking around (and yes I made sure that all the blade fuses were good), I found that the problem seems to be this: no power through the Accessory On wire. The continuous lead works and powers up the radio, but no other wire seems to have electricity going through it, even when the car is on. The console clock also fails to come on now...

Is it possible that I blew one of the big cubic fuses or relays? If so, what one would it be/how do i check? The car still runs fine, the headlights, dome light, AC, break lights, and blinkers work, but no head unit power, no dashlights, no taillights. I'm completely at a loss as to what happened.

It is possible you tripped a circuit breaker that doesn't reset automatically or have something in the wiring still shorting to ground or similar.

Your description is very good - the clock, dashlights, headunit, tail lamps, and cigarette lighter are on the same chain. Could be a fuse or a relay that went bad. Hopefully not the intergration relays - as they have to be replaced as a unit.

Check your cigarette lighter plug - if it is dead - you're halfway there. Two possible points to check are the main fuse panel on the diver' side and junction block #3 - behind the dash, close to the headunit. Start pulling circuit breakers and fuses and checking them with a multimeter. The ones that you can reset manually have a little hole on the bottom that you can shove a pin through to reset. Relays - you have to run some juice through them first to see if they operate - normally open or closed. Need a shop manual to tell you what kind it is.

Good Luck.

Topic List