Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Brendon, January 10, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

So what is your car's name/nickname if you have any? It would be interesting to see what people call their cars and whether they consider their Corollas male or female.

Since I first bought my car, I nicknamed it "The Red October" (no relation to that awful Tom Clancy book). It fits well considering my car is red. I have been long debating on giving my car an actual name, since I wasn't sure whether my car is male or female. Since I consider my Corolla a cute little sporty car (with its stylish spoiler), I figure a girl's name would fit it. In homage to my Russian roots, I called her Katyusha, a tender diminutive name from Ekaterina; also one of the best Russian folk songs.

My 2003 Corolla is female. Her official name is "Muriel the Eighth," but I just call her "Baby."

Bikeman982

I just nickname my cars after their year and color, such as "94W" for my 1994 White Corolla. I also have a 94G and a 93W and my son's car is known as "Matt's car".

Max

I searched for thread we did on our car names a couple years back but couldn't find it. So, I'll report that my car's name is Goose, because she's Canadian and she honks and flies. default_laugh

DaRi_GJ

For my corolla 2002 I still don't have a name since I bought it 3 months ago.

But as a general knowledge fact, I must say that for spanish speakers car is a male noun.

The opposite happens when refering to vehicles like a Rav-4 or a Toyota Hi-lux or a Minivan since they fall inside the female category.

Other male categories are trucks, boats and planes. Also some kind of jeeps the tough old ones.

Some cars might have a female name if they are referred by their owners as "machines" because that's a female noun.

I searched for thread we did on our car names a couple years back but couldn't find it. So, I'll report that my car's name is Goose, because she's Canadian and she honks and flies. default_laugh

What has wheels and flies, but isn't an airplane?

A garbage truck!

Bikeman982

That's a good one Larry!!

What is black and white and yellow and screams??

A busload of nuns going over a cliff.

For my corolla 2002 I still don't have a name since I bought it 3 months ago.But as a general knowledge fact, I must say that for spanish speakers car is a male noun.

The opposite happens when refering to vehicles like a Rav-4 or a Toyota Hi-lux or a Minivan since they fall inside the female category.

Other male categories are trucks, boats and planes. Also some kind of jeeps the tough old ones.

Some cars might have a female name if they are referred by their owners as "machines" because that's a female noun.

Umm, that's not quite the point I was trying to make. While these rules of "male", "female", and even "neutral" (in Russian) exist in other languages, in English these rules don't exist. Instead many non-human personal objects can often be classified by their respective owners in male or female categories, particularly with motorized vehicles such as boats, planes, and cars. It is often determined by the owner and is verey subjective. For instance, the HMS Titanic was considered "female", while other ships like the Bismarck, a warship, was considered male by its respective crew. These subjective male-female sentiments are separate from linguistical male-female rules.

It has been my experience that more often than not, cars owned by males are considered female, while cars owned by females are considered male. Also, something that was designed for war and fighting like a military Hummer may be regarded as male, while something more peaceful and civilian or luxury designed may be regarded as female. Of course, this is not a solid rule.

Bikeman982

It is a "macho" characteristic to think that aggressive or hostile items are male and peaceful, quieter things are more female.

It is not always true, but that is the way society wants us to view everything.

Corolla: Little Pig

Camry: Big Pig

I call my cars pigs! Oink. default_laugh

Bikeman982

Corolla: Little PigCamry: Big Pig

I guess you like to drive the "Big Pig" more than the "Little Pig"??

I have a '98 Corolla. I simply call her "Jenny" in reference to Forrest Gump. And yes, just like in Forrest Gump, if/when I get a 2nd or 3rd car, and so on, they will also be called Jenny.

Bikeman982

I have a '98 Corolla. I simply call her "Jenny" in reference to Forrest Gump. And yes, just like in Forrest Gump, if/when I get a 2nd or 3rd car, and so on, they will also be called Jenny.
Does it have something in common with "Jenny"?

After a long trip with no problems, I'll tap her on the dash and say good girl. My older Buick and Voyager had several names depending on the situation. Most of them were interchangeable and usually made up of four letter words.

Bikeman982

After a long trip with no problems, I'll tap her on the dash and say good girl. My older Buick and Voyager had several names depending on the situation. Most of them were interchangeable and usually made up of four letter words.
What do you call other driver's who cut you off or act stupid on the road??

Corolla: Little PigCamry: Big Pig

I guess you like to drive the "Big Pig" more than the "Little Pig"??

See my sig and read the truth. Big pig is a little squeaky and clunky right now.

Some derivative of "b-----d' depending on circumstances and who's behind the wheel.

Haha, this is one of the more fun posts I have seen lately.

Hmmm... I thought that vehicles were all feminine. Like all boats have female (or non-sex determining) names.

As for me, I dont think I have ever "named" any of my rides...

Until I got 2 saabs, the 900S was "saab",

4rnr is usually refered to as "truck", our old celica was "celica".

The Cherokee was just "jeep"... i think i just call it the shortest name possible. My CBR was just "cbr"... and when I upgraded to a VFR, it was... you guessed it! "vfr".

When I was in to the racing scene (street racing at night - yes, its illegal), i think i called my cars by the manufacturer vehicle code. My RX-7s were either FC or FD (2nd gen RX-7 = FC3S. 3rd gen = FD3S), and when I had more than one, it became "white fc" or "black fc" or "red fc"...

Even if i were to give it a name (like sally or jane), I would prob forget what I named it...

tdk.

I give them a shot of my dual, two tone, Freeway Blasters!

As for my bike..a bit of a funny story. I told a lady at work that I went to check on Bonny today and to tuck her in and see if she's ok, as her blankets haven't been changed for a couple of months. I said I would see her again next month and told her I miss her and we'll be together again shortly. Well she almost started crying and so I had to explain to her that I was talking about my bike in the back of the garage.

Bikeman982

I give them a shot of my dual, two tone, Freeway Blasters!

As for my bike..a bit of a funny story. I told a lady at work that I went to check on Bonny today and to tuck her in and see if she's ok, as her blankets haven't been changed for a couple of months. I said I would see her again next month and told her I miss her and we'll be together again shortly. Well she almost started crying and so I had to explain to her that I was talking about my bike in the back of the garage.

Good think you didn't tell her that you were tired of "Bonny" and was thinking of putting her up for adoption!!

My car's name is casper. If you guys cant figure out why, I'll send pics

In my yard there are typically 6 vehicles.

1. 1982 Chevy C30 1 ton w/duallies and 7.4L 4bbl -- usually "big bertha" or "miss piggy". she's always thirsty -- mine

2. 1993 Dodge Dakota 2/5.2L -- alternately "piece of s**t" or "baby" as in "you can do it baby" followed by "good girl" and a pat on the dash -- mine

3. 1997 Nissan Pathfinder -- "the truck". it was the first truck-like vehicle in this household.

4. 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva -- "the green car". She's rather cantakerous

5. 1998 Toyota Corolla -- I haven't picked a good name for her yet. -- mine

6. 2007 Toyota Camry -- mom hasn't named her yet. but with that too-bright radio, it might not be a positive name. edit: she named it Luna cuz it is silver

All the vehicles in our household are feminine. Always have been.

There's also an 8'x8' snowmobile trailer converted to a utility trailer, and a 4'x6' utility trailer that I'm in the process of rebuilding. Additionally, I'm still looking for a good flatbed car hauler to put behind big bertha.

Only 3 of the above vehicles are mine. The rest belong to my parents.

jim

Well, my two black preludes I call them "My 2 black biatches"

and the corolla, I don't know yet.. still deciding...

Bikeman982

I call my cars by their year and color - such as "94 Blue", or "93 White".

I could call my car by the plate name - "Howscar".

A quick update to make; just in case you haven't noticed on my signature, I decided to change the names of my cars.

Car 1: Red 1998 Toyota Corolla LE

Name: Nazanin

Nickname: "The Red October"

Car 2: Red 1998 Lexus SC400 (salvage, but soon to be rebuilt)

Name: Katyusha

Nickname: "The Red Army"

I just felt that Katyusha fits better with the SC400, while Nazanin feels better for the Corolla. Nazanin is a fairly common girl's name in Persian. It means "delicate" or "beautiful". See what I mean by fits better on the Corolla? The Lexus is more about power and style while the Corolla feels more innocence (well... at least innocent looking default_tongue)

Bikeman982

Is there a list of acceptable car names anywhere?

I would like to see what is available for my latest car.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else