Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Alternator Belt

by Gold101, January 5, 2007

Does anyone have any advice on changing the Alternator belt on a 95 4afe? I've had some trouble loosening the alternator so I can get the belt off. Is the tensioner bolt the bolt on the very bottom of the alternator? and If so is the only way to get at that from the bottom of the car? Any help would be appreciated.

g'day,

you have to loosen the locking bolt first which is located at the left side bottom of the alternator bracket, the adjuster bolt is located at the bottom of the alternator (you face front of the car) . rotate the adjusting bolt left, it it will loosen the belt until you can remove the belt. (or eighter way)

by the way you need ratchet and sockets (may be 12 or 14 mm) , the space is a little bit tight.

rey t

Here is a page from the Autozone repair guide: http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?Forwa...23d80169b3e.jsp

I hope to do this job any day now (my belt is visibly damaged, it has a small hole at one point and squeals like crazy). Bought a new belt from Canadian Tire for $19.99.

If you do it Gold, please post any tips or lessons learned as I promise to when I eventually get around to it.

Bikeman982

I have lots of experience changing alternators on the 7th generation Corollas.

To change the belt loosen the 14mm bolt under the alternator (I get to it from above) and the adjustment is the 10mm bolt that is in front of the alternator. Turn it counterclockwise. After that you may have to tap the bolt in, to get the alternator loose. You also have to loosen the top alternator mounting bolt so that it will rotate a little and take the tension off the belt. If you want specific info - PM me, or call me on my cell (707) 287 -1734.

I did this yesterday afternoon and it took me about a half hour. My alternator had a 14mm bolt on the top, and the tensioner and lock bolts were both 12mm. I used a regular socket for the 14mm and deep for the 12's. The only issue was reaching the lock bolt on the bottom left, you need a deep socket to reach it around the pulley. After that the wiring for the alternator got hooked underneath it and took up some of the belts slack, I couldnt get the belt loose enough to get it off until I noticed this. A good flashlight always helps. You also want to make sure your belt is tight enough to where you can only twist it vertical.

I've also recently discovered belt conditioner. I had a problem with a belt in october and it had been very cold out, i sprayed it with this stuff because i was at school and it stopped the squeaking and slipping

Belt conditioners/dressings should be avoided. If your belt is squealing or slipping, clean off all pulleys with degreaser and put on a new belt. Again with the Century analogy, the belt was squealing like crazy, i sprayed some plain water on the belt while it was running, and the squealing stopped. Put on a new belt. No more squeal.

I've also recently discovered belt conditioner. I had a problem with a belt in october and it had been very cold out, i sprayed it with this stuff because i was at school and it stopped the squeaking and slipping

just so you know, this is only a band-aid. it will start slipping again (actually it probably still is), and most likely, by that point it will need replaced. what that stuff does, is lube the belt, makes it sticky, the combo makes it stop squealing, usually temporary. better to just tighten the belt. also, since it usually stops the squeal, but not the slip, it doesnt let you know untill the belt breaks, leaving you stranded.

just my $.02

aaron

Bikeman982

My car has a squeaking belt (only squeaks when first started). I have a spare belt and some tools, in case it does break.

My car has a squeaking belt (only squeaks when first started). I have a spare belt and some tools, in case it does break.

Good idea.

Bikeman982

Good idea.

Fortunately, I also have the capability to change it myself when it does break. If a little noise is all it has and it lasts for a very long time, then I would be happy. If it breaks the next time I go for a drive, then it gets changed. No sweat, either way.

Topic List